Holy h.e.double hockey sticks.

6'8".

Not a prolific scorer by the limited looks of it.

Did we sign him to eventually play along side of Ruzicka?

Slovaks and Czech have a lot in common....maybe.

Or did we need someone near the same height as Vladar that speaks Czech?

Are we looking to have the most guys over 6'5" on this team?

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Holy h.e.double hockey sticks.

6'8".

Not a prolific scorer by the limited looks of it.

Did we sign him to eventually play along side of Ruzicka?

Slovaks and Czech have a lot in common....maybe.

Or did we need someone near the same height as Vladar that speaks Czech?

Are we looking to have the most guys over 6'5" on this team?

He's probably not signed for his offense.  Worth a gamble to sign him and bring him over to North America to develop him.  Could be a replacement for Lucic/Ritchie when their times come.  He has the size and willingness to fight.  72-PIMS in 46-games.  Just needs to make sure he can skate and play the X's and O's.  

Considering Walker Duehr was a nice find and add by the organization, I'm hopeful they saw something in Klapka to tell us he's worth the investment and time.

37 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Considering Walker Duehr was a nice find and add by the organization, I'm hopeful they saw something in Klapka to tell us he's worth the investment and time.

They definitely see something, only have 50 contracts, they use them on players they believe in.

Worst case, it's AHL depth. But who knows, Flames have found some decent depth players through undrafted free agency. Gio being the most obvious, but Hathaway, Rittich and even Jooris for a bit have been contributors that didn't cost draft capital

10 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

They definitely see something, only have 50 contracts, they use them on players they believe in.

Worst case, it's AHL depth. But who knows, Flames have found some decent depth players through undrafted free agency. Gio being the most obvious, but Hathaway, Rittich and even Jooris for a bit have been contributors that didn't cost draft capital

Klapka is turning 22 this year so there's also hope he's closer to ready than a kid who is too raw.  Looking forward to see how Klapka develops.  

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Klapka is turning 22 this year so there's also hope he's closer to ready than a kid who is too raw.  Looking forward to see how Klapka develops.  

He can be called up and down with impunity, so there's a good chance he's there to replace some of the lost toughness of Zaddy.

Maybe he's the replacement for Ritchie.

Probably (by the looks of it) has a bit more offence.

I mean we have a good team this year.

We won't be able to keep everyone.

Cap victims this coming season:

Monahan

Zadorov

Carpenter

Backlund*

Kylington*

I listed the last two, only because their cap hurts or will hurt.  Valimaki should be closer to where Kyl is, but it seems he's still lagging.

Backlund is a tough call.  Only if we can replace that ability for less or from within does it make sense to deal him.

Ruzicka and Pelletier should be ready for full time work here.  Maybe.

Would like to bring back Jarnkrok and Guddy.

Looks like a role of the dice to find some depth and some depth that can play a physical game. I think it's unlikely he makes the NHL but if you can get someone at that size who can move fairly well (which apparently he can) it's worth the roll of the dice. Those guys should make for real good 4th line defenders. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Watching the video, I thought, "your legs are going to need to really dig in with your skating".

Then the question: "what do you want to work on". First answer, "my power skating".

Perfect. You develop guys by being honest with them. He's been told.

Most NHLers have thighs like tree trunks and calves like large branches. You win zero battles without that.

Show Klapka Chara's legs. You have to be more than just big with a big shot. Leg strength is everything. It can't be questionable, no matter how fast you are.

Having said that, he's been told, so it's up to him and our trainers to teach him to understand the massive importance and really hard work if you wanna be a millionaire. It's not all about leg strength, but I'd say over 50% of it is.

This is why I have a lot of faith in Kylington getting better with age. He's getting it and getting absolutely ripped. He's no longer a lanky kid that's a fast skater. I think he's only getting better because of that and will really start coming into his own because of it.