2022 NHL Draft

Season 2 Drinking GIF by Parks and Recreation

Been waiting several months to rant.   A whisky rant.

When the day came, I just felt sad.   And, really best not to go nuts on whisky when you're sad.

So I'm sober, and just want to say I hope for better days.   Everyone here deserves it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Season 2 Drinking GIF by Parks and Recreation

Been waiting several months to rant.   A whisky rant.

When the day came, I just felt sad.   And, really best not to go nuts on whisky when you're sad.

So I'm sober, and just want to say I hope for better days.   Everyone here deserves it.

When things get stagnated, you can always follow the Red Wings.lol

It's kinda fun to watch a rebuild, plus it becomes clearly evident that they don't draft by anyone's consensus but their own. The way it's supposed to be.

They were panned for drafting Seider so high. Well, guess who has a 1RD with 2 more seasons on an ELC...

A little bit of moaning about a 3rd rder to get ahead of Husso's ufa rights.

Yzerman: There are more teams that need goalies than there are goalies, so we used a pick to get ahead of it.

Dude just breathes hockey.

So if you don't like them but like to watch a team rebuild, it's wildly entertaining to follow. Especially when the whiskey turns to tears. It's a fun distraction. 9 picks even after trading their 3rd to the Blues. And still the potential for 2 rookies to chase the Calder this year: Edvinsson(LD)/Berggren(C/W). I think Berggren will be the favourite. Came to NA last year. Very slow start in the A, then went hot butter, finishing at 21-43-64pts in 70 games. 2018 2nd rd pick.

Have I convinced you yet?lol

They should have everything in their pipeline now, have a look. You can say they should have taken Wallstedt over Cossa, but their scouting is god-level, so there were reasons, without question. They have a leg up in Russia/Sweden due to their past stars from there. Players want to play for them.

I dream of a Wings vs Flames Cup final.

So who won the draft in your opinion?

I'll go with Buffalo. When your Director of Scouting literally cried at the post-draft interview, you just know they let them do their jobs like you're supposed to. Gives the feeling Adams is a very good GM.

MTL got a lot of accolades, but I'm not buying it. I think Slafkovsky got the hype-train just for the sake of being alternative. He won't be in the NHL particularly soon. And I'm not a Dach fan. Just not feeling it.

Then NJ should have flipped their pick for a solid NHL dman right now, if that option was there.

Arizona's a mess, so whatever.

Then Seattle got the massive win. Now they have Beniers and were literally gifted the best player in the draft in Wright down the middle.

I had hoped Ottawa would flip their pick, it's time. To get DeBrincat is a stellar flip.

Chicago is a disaster.

My honourable mentions are Minny, and of course, Detroit is sneaky good at drafting. They really target and do their own thing. Just filling that pipeline up, it's gotta be the league's best.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

So who won the draft in your opinion?

I'll go with Buffalo. When your Director of Scouting literally cried at the post-draft interview, you just know they let them do their jobs like you're supposed to. Gives the feeling Adams is a very good GM.

MTL got a lot of accolades, but I'm not buying it. I think Slafkovsky got the hype-train just for the sake of being alternative. He won't be in the NHL particularly soon. And I'm not a Dach fan. Just not feeling it.

Then NJ should have flipped their pick for a solid NHL dman right now, if that option was there.

Arizona's a mess, so whatever.

Then Seattle got the massive win. Now they have Beniers and were literally gifted the best player in the draft in Wright down the middle.

I had hoped Ottawa would flip their pick, it's time. To get DeBrincat is a stellar flip.

Chicago is a disaster.

My honourable mentions are Minny, and of course, Detroit is sneaky good at drafting. They really target and do their own thing. Just filling that pipeline up, it's gotta be the league's best.

I think Buffalo did well but I think NJ did better.   It's NJ for me.

And yes it's going to take some time for that to play out.

On 7/9/2022 at 3:06 PM, jjgallow said:

I think Buffalo did well but I think NJ did better.   It's NJ for me.

And yes it's going to take some time for that to play out.

Yeah you're probably right. NJ isn't quite where Ottawa is in, "it's time to get moving on improving right now".

But I do wonder if the opportunity was there, to turn 2oa into Chychrun if that would've been a stealthy move, or if Nemec is pretty much NHL-ready. All comes down to how comparable Extraliiga is to NA pro leagues. I know nothing about that.

But everyone needs a 1RD, if that's what he'll be.

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Yeah you're probably right. NJ isn't quite where Ottawa is in, "it's time to get moving on improving right now".

But I do wonder if the opportunity was there, to turn 2oa into Chychrun if that would've been a stealthy move, or if Nemec is pretty much NHL-ready. All comes down to how comparable Extraliiga is to NA pro leagues. I know nothing about that.

But everyone needs a 1RD, if that's what he'll be.

I gotta be honest I didn't follow it as closely this year for my own mental health given our range of picks, but generally speaking the teams that draft those super talented RHD come out looking better a few years later.  I'm not positive if Nemec is NHL ready but I feel 80% chance NJ will play him next year.   

IMHO when you draft a player you're asking yourself which player will improve our odds of winning the cup the most in the next 10 years?   With the information available now, Nemec is probably that regardless of their immediate needs.

But without any doubt, there are sleepers in this draft.   You just know it when people start calling it weak, despite this draft being considered strong right up until the covid mess.   Mattias Havelid might be one.   Went in the 2nd round but arguably the most talented player in the draft.  Daniil Orlov could be a sleeper imho, also a NJ pick...it was their complement of drafting through all the rounds which is why I feel they are the winners as of today.  And yes Buffalo's Lavoie could be a sleeper as well.    Weird saying that about a guy who was for a long time over-rated but he certainly wasn't over-rated on draft day.

Flames won for the 5th year in a row in terms of highest percentage of LHS fowards drafted, maybe it will be like diamonds where if you keep hoarding them they will eventually become scarce.