2022 NHL Draft

Organizationally, the Flames are very thin at D, if it makes sense would be nice to see them go D in the 2nd round. A few D I like that could be there in the 2nd, David Spacek from Sherbrooke, Mats Lindgren with Kamloops and Christian Kyrou with Erie. NHL bloodlines with all three. 

Been watching the WHL playoffs, couple Seattle Thunderbirds I like, Thomas Milic the goalie and Jordan Gustafson.

Gustafson is in that mould of a lot of former Flames picks Dube/Mang/Kerins. Sub 6' LHS, highly competitive, plays bigger than his size. Productive draft year, just under a pt/g on a deep team. Seattle is deep this year, but some of their key guys are overagers, the T-Birds should still be competitive next year and Gustafson's role and production should increase. I think he goes in the 2nd or 3rd.

I really like their goalie Thomas Milic, but he suffers from Dustin Wolf syndrome. He's very good, but only 6'0. He's the 28th ranked NA goalie by central scouting, they have Sebastian Cossa's backup, with a .885sv% rated higher. Milic posted a .912sv%, DET 1st rounder Sebastian Cossa had a .913. Size plays a huge role, I know, but at some point, you can't ignore production. Thomas Milic is the biggest reason that the Thunderbirds are in the WHL final, with a .929 and 2.10 in 20 playoff games. 

Unlikely, the Flames get him with only 3 draft picks, but I would absolutely take him with that 5th rounder if he's still there. Keep taking shots on goalies, because you just never know with that position. Milic out-duelled Cossa last night, stopping 43/44. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Organizationally, the Flames are very thin at D, if it makes sense would be nice to see them go D in the 2nd round. A few D I like that could be there in the 2nd, David Spacek from Sherbrooke, Mats Lindgren with Kamloops and Christian Kyrou with Erie. NHL bloodlines with all three. 

Been watching the WHL playoffs, couple Seattle Thunderbirds I like, Thomas Milic the goalie and Jordan Gustafson.

Gustafson is in that mould of a lot of former Flames picks Dube/Mang/Kerins. Sub 6' LHS, highly competitive, plays bigger than his size. Productive draft year, just under a pt/g on a deep team. Seattle is deep this year, but some of their key guys are overagers, the T-Birds should still be competitive next year and Gustafson's role and production should increase. I think he goes in the 2nd or 3rd.

I really like their goalie Thomas Milic, but he suffers from Dustin Wolf syndrome. He's very good, but only 6'0. He's the 28th ranked NA goalie by central scouting, they have Sebastian Cossa's backup, with a .885sv% rated higher. Milic posted a .912sv%, DET 1st rounder Sebastian Cossa had a .913. Size plays a huge role, I know, but at some point, you can't ignore production. Thomas Milic is the biggest reason that the Thunderbirds are in the WHL final, with a .929 and 2.10 in 20 playoff games. 

Unlikely, the Flames get him with only 3 draft picks, but I would absolutely take him with that 5th rounder if he's still there. Keep taking shots on goalies, because you just never know with that position. Milic out-duelled Cossa last night, stopping 43/44. 

We've had luck taking goalies in the 7th round.  If Milic is still there by round 7 (and because of his size, he probably will be), then take a chance on him.

I agree we are thin on D but specifically RHS RD.  I have a good feeling about both Kuznetsov and Poirier.  Both look like NHL bound at some point in the future.  IF anything, it's time to take a RHS RD because Gudbranson may be gone.  Tanev retires in 2 years. Stone can't be there forever.  If Andersson is our top RD for the next 10 years, we need that 2nd pair RD so not asking for the moon or anything.  Just need a smart shut down D with some size.

On 6/5/2022 at 12:34 AM, The_People1 said:

We've had luck taking goalies in the 7th round.  If Milic is still there by round 7 (and because of his size, he probably will be), then take a chance on him.

I agree we are thin on D but specifically RHS RD.  I have a good feeling about both Kuznetsov and Poirier.  Both look like NHL bound at some point in the future.  IF anything, it's time to take a RHS RD because Gudbranson may be gone.  Tanev retires in 2 years. Stone can't be there forever.  If Andersson is our top RD for the next 10 years, we need that 2nd pair RD so not asking for the moon or anything.  Just need a smart shut down D with some size.

Looking forward to the Memorial Cup. Get some good looks at Poirier and Kuznetsov. I think both will end up seeing NHL games in the coming seasons, simply because the Flames are so thin at D.

Last year they took Whynot and Jordan. Let’s see how they play in 22/23, but I’m not even sure they get NHL deals.

RHD depth is non-existent. They drafted Jake Boltmann in 2020, if he gets an NHL deal, it would be a bit of a surprise

• 4 weeks later...

Juraj Slafkovsky Shane Wright Bob McKenzie NHL draft ranking - TSN.ca

Bob has moved on from Wright as the top prospect this year.  There are rumblings that the Canadiens love Slafkovsky, so who knows but Wright has been pegged as #1 since 2020.  Does the Devils desire to move or keep #2 depend on what the Canadiens do will be interesting

With so little picks I haven't invested much time especially with 2 or the 3 being in the last 3 rounds.  I like Lane Hutson, a little smaller and because he's a small American defenseman heading to the NCAA people will freak out if we got him, but I don't think he falls to 59 and he possibly goes in the first.

• Like 1

Shane Wright is a little polarizing to me. 

I think that missing all of last season has slowed his development a bit. He still had a very good season though.

Whoever picks him, shouldn't rush him. There's absolutely nothing wrong with going back to junior, especially since he missed his age 16 season.

Hughes, Kakko, Lafreniere are recent examples of high picks that could have used one more year of seasoning. I know Owen Power was a college kid but IMO the right decision was made to develop for another year at Michigan.

Could be an interesting top of the draft, I've seen people with Cooley at 1, along with Wright and Slafkovsky

• Like 1

It all depends on if the Flames can get Tkachuk to sign long term.  Tkachuk is worth a 2OA+ from NJ... And there's about a 20% chance that Wright is available at #2.

My only reserve is drafting from the Kingston Frontenacs again.  Maybe they just aren't good at developing star players.

34 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It all depends on if the Flames can get Tkachuk to sign long term.  Tkachuk is worth a 2OA+ from NJ... And there's about a 20% chance that Wright is available at #2.

My only reserve is drafting from the Kingston Frontenacs again.  Maybe they just aren't good at developing star players.

Like I mentioned above, Sam Bennett was likely rushed by the Flames. He was an excellent junior player. Likely could have used some time in the AHL though.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Like I mentioned above, Sam Bennett was likely rushed by the Flames. He was an excellent junior player. Likely could have used some time in the AHL though.

Have you watched Wright play this year?  Is he more closer to RNH/Hischier or what is his ceiling?

59 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Have you watched Wright play this year?  Is he more closer to RNH/Hischier or what is his ceiling?

I think that's certainly a fair comp, at least early in his career. Wright is a natural goal-scorer, which the other two aren't. He should be a fairly solid 200ft player when he steps into the league. He always mentions that he patterns his game after Bergeron. Hard to be as good as the best defensive player ever, but should be a very solid player. Maybe a slightly better Horvat/RNH/Hischier.

42 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think that's certainly a fair comp, at least early in his career. Wright is a natural goal-scorer, which the other two aren't. He should be a fairly solid 200ft player when he steps into the league. He always mentions that he patterns his game after Bergeron. Hard to be as good as the best defensive player ever, but should be a very solid player. Maybe a slightly better Horvat/RNH/Hischier.

That's really disappointing to hear.  Wouldn't call that a franchise Center... More like a solid 2nd line Center.  It's especially disappointing because he was hyped for almost two years.

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That's really disappointing to hear.  Wouldn't call that a franchise Center... More like a solid 2nd line Center.  It's especially disappointing because he was hyped for almost two years.

I think Wright will be a consistent 30 goal player. I just don't know that he will be a McDavid/Matthews type 1st overall.

2023, you're absolutely getting that in Bedard though

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think Wright will be a consistent 30 goal player. I just don't know that he will be a McDavid/Matthews type 1st overall.

2023, you're absolutely getting that in Bedard though

Ya maybe missing a season hurt this draft class's development badly.  Lambert and Savoie were supposed to be fighting Wright for #1 overall but they've fallen a lot.  Ivan Miroshnichenko was a top 3/4 pick at one point but might not even get picked in the 1st round now.

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Although not a center, Kucherov has a lot of the same skillsets. Hi IQ, excellent vision, smooth skater with great foot agility, good, hard accurate shot, good 200' game.

I know that's a massive comparison, but he possesses the same type of toolbox. Kucherov's tools have matured, just a question of Wright maturing to figure out how to maximize that toolbox at the pro level.

I'm not sure with a C, comparable. It's not Hughes or RNH by my eye. Maybe maybe Hischier with the high IQ 2 way game.

A good comparable is maybe Zetterberg. Does everything well and a ppg plus guy. Wright says he models his game after Bergeron and their are similarities.

He'll be a very good player, but, like Lafreniere, shouldn't be expected to be fully equipped yet to be an immediate impact guy. But he'll be an impact guy in 2-3 years.

Can't wait to crack open that whiskey and totally lose my sh1t in this thread a week from now.

Acquiring picks is good, glad to see it's being suggested, and...an obvious choice for anyone who can think more than one year out for this franchise.   Doing it to acquire forwards, is probably not super sound.   

Most talented and promising player in this draft, in the very limited time I've had to look at it, imho could be Mattias Hävelid.   (Don't get me wrong, the Slovaks are real this year)

Available right around where our first round pick would have been, cough cough cough.   And because he's not oversized, and a defenceman, he's unlikely to go much higher.   But I'll save myself for next week on that pick lol

20 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Can't wait to crack open that whiskey and totally lose my sh1t in this thread a week from now.

Acquiring picks is good, glad to see it's being suggested, and...an obvious choice for anyone who can think more than one year out for this franchise.   Doing it to acquire forwards, is probably not super sound.   

Most talented and promising player in this draft, in the very limited time I've had to look at it, imho could be Mattias Hävelid.   (Don't get me wrong, the Slovaks are real this year)

Available right around where our first round pick would have been, cough cough cough.   And because he's not oversized, and a defenceman, he's unlikely to go much higher.   But I'll save myself for next week on that pick lol

First you have to say that you were totally against the Toffoli trade. I don't think many were. It sure seemed like he kinda ran outta gas/finish after his hot start. So that was disappointing. We were in it to win it, so it seemed like a good trade. We didn't win it, so now it's waaay to easy to say that we shouldn't have made that trade.

Next year Toffoli pots 25-30 and it's a good trade.

So be careful.lol

And pass that bottle around.

• Like 1

I just really hope we can get some closure on JG prior to the draft and we're not stuck in the mud of uncertainty. Not that it would change who we draft, but I'll be white knuckling whenever I hear, "We have a trade to announce".

The Calgary Flames(noooooooo), are trading(noooooo) their 2nd rd pick and Sean Monahan to the Detroit Red Wings for Detroit's 4th rd pick and future considerations". *stop hyper-ventilating*

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

First you have to say that you were totally against the Toffoli trade. I don't think many were. It sure seemed like he kinda ran outta gas/finish after his hot start. So that was disappointing. We were in it to win it, so it seemed like a good trade. We didn't win it, so now it's waaay to easy to say that we shouldn't have made that trade.

Next year Toffoli pots 25-30 and it's a good trade.

So be careful.lol

And pass that bottle around.

I'd provide evidence of my dislike for the Toffoli trade (I actually did my rant in CP at the time), but I'm a little worried that such evidence of me not liking a Flames trade would be too shocking for many here who are used to my normal high level of positivity with regards to Treliving's moves.  

15 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I'd provide evidence of my dislike for the Toffoli trade (I actually did my rant in CP at the time), but I'm a little worried that such evidence of me not liking a Flames trade would be too shocking for many here who are used to my normal high level of positivity with regards to Treliving's moves.  

It's important to be self-effacing in life. If you can't laugh at yourself, everyone else will laugh at you. As much as I'll scour CP and there are some good to great posters, the general level of dumb-Blockchainery and bickering is so annoying. I'd be ban hammer central. "Why did you ban me for 2 weeks"? Because you're an idiot, go to the pause and reflect room. If you still can't see it, I'll be banning you for life.

As I said, there are exceptional posters, Bingo has a great show and leads by example. Many follow his lead. 80% don't follow his example and it's a huge nuisance of page after page of a couple of varying posters falling to mind-numbing bickering that makes me eyeroll. "We stopped caring 3 pages ago". Then there's the pile-on effect.

It's a hockey board for discussion. JFC people. Get over yourselves. Maybe I'm just old and crusty. It gets old fast.

The Wings site I frequent is nothing like that. It doesn't turn into a Satoshi Nakamotoshow. If you have a bad opinion, they discuss it like reasonable adults like a great fanbase is supposed to do.

I prefer staying here where everyone's pretty chill. We don't have the numbers, but we don't have the untethered idiots being idiots either.

Yup Ottawa appear to be making the classic Canadian team error where you push your chips in too early. 

I mind mean you i'm not sure how great a player your getting at 7 in this draft but definitely don't see Anderson and Dvorak as being 2 pieces you'd want to add at this point if you are the Sens. 

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

Not sure its the direction I'd go if I was Ottawa and looking to move their pick, but Montreal obviously wants to make a splash in front of their fans.

That's a nice move for Ottawa imo. That would be a good mix for them. Anderson's tenacity and Dvorak's gotta be ready to pull it together to maybe a Backlund type. I don't mind that from Ottawa. Ottawa needs to get a little ahead of the curve than a 7th by now. They're not bad. just young. I'd kind of agree with this direction.

Forsberg looks really good. They've got a pretty good mix. Those are, imho, not bad adds. Dvorak HAS to get smarter linemates though. I saw a lot of him in jr. He's Lindholm-lite. Tkachuk knows Lindholm's there because Dvorak always was for him and Marner. I called him the ninja. I'm shocked that it hasn't translated.

I hope this deal happens and Dvorak finds a place. I'm pretty shocked that he hasn't found success.

I guess this happens when Arizona drafts you. Even rumours Keller is for sale now.lol

If we lose Johnny, go get Keller and Chychrun out of that nightmare.

14 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

That's a nice move for Ottawa imo. That would be a good mix for them. Anderson's tenacity and Dvorak's gotta be ready to pull it together to maybe a Backlund type. I don't mind that from Ottawa. Ottawa needs to get a little ahead of the curve than a 7th by now. They're not bad. just young. I'd kind of agree with this direction.

Forsberg looks really good. They've got a pretty good mix. Those are, imho, not bad adds. Dvorak HAS to get smarter linemates though. I saw a lot of him in jr. He's Lindholm-lite. Tkachuk knows Lindholm's there because Dvorak always was for him and Marner. I called him the ninja. I'm shocked that it hasn't translated.

I hope this deal happens and Dvorak finds a place. I'm pretty shocked that he hasn't found success.

I guess this happens when Arizona drafts you. Even rumours Keller is for sale now.lol

If we lose Johnny, go get Keller and Chychrun out of that nightmare.

You mean with Tkachuk?