20th Anniversary Double Gold

sak22

Just read an article about today being the 20 year anniversary of the Men's Olympic Gold Medal game, which ended Canada's 50 year Olympic Gold draught.  My first thoughts were damn I'm old, this was one of my first major sporting celebrations that I celebrated as an adult.  But these games I feel get overlooked a bit because of the double gold in Vancouver and the golden goal.  I feel these games brought the swagger back to Canadian hockey, as we hadn't had much success at the Olympic level, had lost the '96 World Cup, didn't medal in Nagano in the first best on best ever, US women had taken over women's hockey and Canada was on a 5 year drought at tournament that only Canadians care about in the U20, things were trending down.  It was easy to get pessimistic early on, the best goalie in the planet at the time decided to stay home.  Then the tournament begins and its a beating received from Sweden, a narrow win vs Germany and a tie to the Czech in the round robin, hardly worth celebrating.  Then against the worst officiating I'd ever seen in a hockey game the women edge the US for gold.  Sweden gets upset by Belarus of all teams and the path to gold for the men became a little easier after a narrow win vs. Finland.  Then it was this:

At the time the Flames were the butt-end of every joke regarding Canadian franchises, I found it extra special for it to be our guy that made a difference.

Anybody with good stories of this game?  I remember having to work the evening of the game, because I was young and stupid I didn't go in with the best frame of mind, didn't have any negative consequences at least.