Loser Points

redfire11

With 6 regulation wins, we are tied for 10th.

A loser point is exactly the same as a tie in the old world.

We are 11th in points %.

What is your point?

In the playoffs, you play till somebody wins.

Can't do that in regular season.

Can award zero for a SO loss, that would be dumb.

Montreal made the playoffs based on loser points and went to the finals.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

We are 11th in points %.

What is your point?

it’s not the same though, because someone got an extra point out of it, whereas in the olden days, both teams would come away with only one point. So in reality, the loser team gets a point that shouldn’t be, and the Shootout is where the extra point goes to the winner. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

We are 11th in points %.

What is your point?

I doubt we go to the finals in a scenario where we make it instead of Montreal though.

Just now, robrob74 said:

I doubt we go to the finals in a scenario where we make it instead of Montreal though.

I guess what I am saying is that loser points (SOL or OTL) or OTW or SOW are quite meaningless.

Doesn't prove we are worse or better than the team that beat us.

The RW is much more important.

The year we won the West, we were unstoppable in the 3v3.

Meant little right?

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I guess what I am saying is that loser points (SOL or OTL) or OTW or SOW are quite meaningless.

Doesn't prove we are worse or better than the team that beat us.

The RW is much more important.

The year we won the West, we were unstoppable in the 3v3.

Meant little right?

I don’t mean it means little, just that in the end it’s not the same as a tie like you suggested. OT points aren’t like ties. It’s good to get those extra points. The goal is the playoffs every year so at least the team would get the owners their investment returns. 

I agree, this team needs to get some games that they’re not supposed to win to OT and get that extra point. We used to be great at 3 on 3 so I dunno what happened. Maybe the lack of Brodie is hurting us?

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I don’t mean it means little, just that in the end it’s not the same as a tie like you suggested. OT points aren’t like ties. It’s good to get those extra points. The goal is the playoffs every year so at least the team would get the owners their investment returns. 

I agree, this team needs to get some games that they’re not supposed to win to OT and get that extra point. We used to be great at 3 on 3 so I dunno what happened. Maybe the lack of Brodie is hurting us?

The inclusion of Hanifin has hurt us.

He has been on for at least 2 losses.

He's not reading the play right.

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

An OTL or SOL is essentially a gimic loss.

Sure the points matter.

It just doesn't define the better team.

All I was saying.

17 hours ago, travel_dude said:

An OTL or SOL is essentially a gimic loss.

Sure the points matter.

It just doesn't define the better team.

All I was saying.

I have to say the Flames are playing a lot better than I expected.

I don't think any points system will change that.    

Whether this continue or not remains to be seen, and the playoffs are a whole different animal too.   But in these early games I think flames fans have to be happy no matter what the point system.

8 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I have to say the Flames are playing a lot better than I expected.

I don't think any points system will change that.    

Whether this continue or not remains to be seen, and the playoffs are a whole different animal too.   But in these early games I think flames fans have to be happy no matter what the point system.

Well, obviously a RW is better than a ROW is better than a SOW, but worse is OTL or a RL.

The number of outright losses is low.

I hope to keep it that way and only rely on loser points for a small bump in the points total.

Our coach is a prime example of benefiting off the loser point.  The year he took over the Kings he coached 49 regular season games he won 25 of those so 51%, 11 of those 24 losses were OT and SO, if you use winning % as the amount of games won vs. games played the 2012 Kings won 49% of their regular season games.  They then went on to win 80% of the playoff games, which hasn't been done in the salary cap era and the 2 previous teams to go 16-4 in the playoffs were the '97 Redwings who only won 46% of their games and the '95 Devils who also won only 46% of their games.  Now of course there is the flip side in that the 2012 Kings finished 40-27-15 and in the 8th seed, a few years later they get the same record and fall 2 points back of the Flames for the final playoff spot, the Flames won both of the head to head games that went to overtime that season. Remember this one, don't ever discredit the element of luck on how a season can play out.

So the points can be costly, and right now if there is one thing I don't like about the Flames record it has to be 0-2-1 in the division and 0-2-3 in the conference, small sample sizes still but will need a turnaround.

• Like 1