21/22 NCAA Prospect Tracker

Thought a thread tracking the NCAA prospects would be handy.  

Mitchell Mattson -C - Michigan State - 2016 5th Round Pick - Senior

Mitchell Mattson - Elite Prospects

21/22 - 23GM 1G 2A 3 Pts -7+/-

Outlook: With only 5 points in over 50 career NCAA games, Mattson is having difficulties cracking the Spartans lineup in his senior season, I'm 99.9% certain this is the end of the road for him.

Demetrios Koumontzis - LW - Arizona State - 2018 4th Round Pick - Senior

Demetrios Koumontzis - Elite Prospects

21/22 - 23GM 4G 7A 11 Pts 1 +/-

Outlook:  Koumontzis had a decent freshman season with 20 points, Koumontizis stock has fallen drastically with only 8 and 10 points in his sophomore and junior seasons.  A big season is likely needed to earn a contract, my guess is it is also the end of the road for him in the organization.

Josh Nodler - C/RW - Michigan State - 2019 5th Round Pick - Junior

Joshua Nodler - Elite Prospects

21/22 36GM 7G 8A 15 Pts -9 +/-

Outlook: Nodler is off to a solid start to his junior campaign, coming off a sophomore season which on the surface 11 points in 27 games leaves a lot to be desired, his 11 points were still only 2 points off the team lead on an offensively challenged Spartans team, which he also managed to be an even player on a team with a -38 goal differential while often being tasked with playing oppositions .  I believe Nodler will be in the system, possibly as early as next season.

Jake Boltmann - D - Notre Dame - 2020 3rd Round Pick - Sophomore

Jake Boltmann - Elite Prospects

21/22 37GM 1G 12A 13 Pts 6+/-

Outlook: Originally committed to Minnesota, Boltmann switched to Notre Dame midway through last season, after not recording a point in 19 games with the Irish last season, he has recorded 2 early on this season.  Still don't know much about Boltmann and is still early, but he should be viewed as a project and may take all 4 years.

Matthew Coronato - RW - Harvard - 2021 1st Round Pick - Freshman

Matt Coronato - Elite Prospects

21/22 28GM 13G 12A 25 Pts 6+/- 

Outlook: Given the first round status, much should be expected.  We should get an early glimpse of Coronato over the holidays during the WJC.  The question with Coronato going forward will most likely be when.  Recent history has most 1st rounders going no more than 2 years.  With the NHL and AHL seasons going into late April it isn't out of the question that he is playing in the organization by the end of the season, but I think a good season at Harvard will be needed to do that.

I will do my best at updating the stats as the season goes.

Overall I get the list isn't going to generate a lot of excitement, Coronato will get the buzz but Nodler and Boltmann are definitely intriguing prospects to pay attention to this year, and what do you know all 3 shoot right.

• Like 6

Stats Updated: Quiet weekend overall.

Boltmann and Koumontzis picked up assists, and Mattson actually played a game.  Tough weekend on the dot for Nodler who came into the weekend at 67% went 9/28 over their 2 game set with UMass.  Full slate this weekend with Michigan State playing a set with Ohio State, Notre Dame with a set against Minnesota, and Arizona State with a set against St. Thomas on Friday and Saturday, and of course first games for Harvard this season with Dartmouth on Friday and Bentley on Saturday

• Like 1

16 hours ago, conundrumed said:

2g 2a with 12mins left. 9-2 Harvard.

Good start!

I mean it is ECAC, but that is fantastic.

How many goals has Walstedt got so far?  😀

It will be interesting watching his season develop.

And watching the anxiety of some about him choosing to go UFA.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I mean it is ECAC, but that is fantastic.

How many goals has Walstedt got so far?  😀

It will be interesting watching his season develop.

And watching the anxiety of some about him choosing to go UFA.

What do you mean going UFA ? 

So we have lost a pick that's why I hate picking NCAA  and I believe we will lose our first from this yr I know you hate my attitude about NCAA but it happens more than not it seems not just with us but with the NHL in a whole with NCAA. I wish the teams would refuse picking these kids and just let them decide what they want to do when there done. 

54 minutes ago, zima said:

So we have lost a pick that's why I hate picking NCAA  and I believe we will lose our first from this yr I know you hate my attitude about NCAA but it happens more than not it seems not just with us but with the NHL in a whole with NCAA. I wish the teams would refuse picking these kids and just let them decide what they want to do when there done. 

It happen so rarely, not more times than not.

I'm not sure why you are saying we lost a pick.

He's in his 1st year of college, so we have 3-4 years to sign him as the team holding his rights.

I lnow you are sensitive to this, but I was just having fun about ssuggesting he might go UFA.

He said he wants to play for the team.

I have no reason to doubt him.

It's also not like we had Dougie Hamilton and Brodie in the top RD spots.

We have no RHS in the top 6 for RW.

He could have a spot tomorrow if he was ready to play in the NHL.

Assuming he was ready and that good.

Yes I have a huge anxiety when it comes to College picks to me it is a crap shot for Calgary when it comes to these kids since Coronato loves the Rangers he could just as easily decide to go to NY rather than playing his ELC with the Flames. Don't get me wrong I truley hope he plays for us I just don't have that fuzzy feeling but as we both know I'm not exactly knowledgeable when it comes to the College picks it just seems I'm always hearing how these kids opt out of there draft team and go else were . My little mind fixates on the bad I guess I'm a class 1/2 empty kinda guy.  

10 minutes ago, zima said:

Yes I have a huge anxiety when it comes to College picks to me it is a crap shot for Calgary when it comes to these kids since Coronato loves the Rangers he could just as easily decide to go to NY rather than playing his ELC with the Flames. Don't get me wrong I truley hope he plays for us I just don't have that fuzzy feeling but as we both know I'm not exactly knowledgeable when it comes to the College picks it just seems I'm always hearing how these kids opt out of there draft team and go else were . My little mind fixates on the bad I guess I'm a class 1/2 empty kinda guy.  

Luckily Coronato is an Islanders fan lol.

It's so rarely done that a prospect takes 4 years and then hits free agency, Technically, Adam Fox didn't do it, he was traded from Carolina to New York, then he signed.

I think Coronato will sign. Pretty difficult for an 18/19yr old kid to reject an ELC worth close to 4 million.

29 minutes ago, zima said:

Worry about it when there is a reason to do so.

There has been nothing out of him that he doesn't want to be in the NHL ASAP.

Only two ways for that to happen - say you have no itention of playing for the Flames and hope they can trade you to the team you want or sign with the Flames when ready.

Latter is easier and probably a good chance to start in the NHL.

Do yourself a favor and win the Hobey Baker trophy.

We will fly to the ceremony and sign him on the spot.

Stats updated after the weekend games.  This weeks games include Notre Dame vs. Holy Cross Thursday and Friday.  Michigan State vs. Michigan on Friday and Saturday, will be interesting to see how Nodler stacks up against some elite competition.  Harvard plays Cornell Friday, and Colgate on Saturday.  Arizona State is off this week.

On a side note, can we keep the signing fears out of this topic for now.  It was beaten to death in the summer, nobody is signing until April at the earliest anyways, lets keep this thread to on ice performance until the season ends.

Update after this weeks games:  Coronato with one assist over the weekend as Harvard won both their games.  Harvard has 3 games this week starting tonight vs. Northeastern then Friday vs. Clarkson and Saturday vs. St. Lawrence Universtiy. 

Michigan State dropped both games to the powerhouse Michigan this weekend, the positives are the Flames prospects appeared to come out okay.  Mattson recorded his first ever 2 point game in his collegiate career, Nodler only recorded 1 assist, but came out of the weekend at a +1.  The Spartans take on Ferris St. on Thursday and Saturday. 

The top Flames prospect performance this week came from Jake Boltmann, he scored his first goal of his collegiate career and added 2 assists and was a +7 as Notre Dame swept this weeks action against Holy Cross.  Notre Dame is in action for a Friday-Saturday set vs. Wisconsin.  Arizona State was off this weekend and are back on the ice this weekend for a set vs. Quinnipiac.

• Like 1

A little late for this update, but stats are updated for Mattson and Nodler they are finished for the year.  Koumontzis' ASU team will play its final 2 games this weekend, but he will most likely be out of the lineup as he has been injured since early January.  Notre Dame will take on Michigan in the Big 10 semi finals this weekend, and are a good bet to be in the NCAA tournament meaning more games for Boltmann.  Harvard will begin its playoffs this weekend in the ECAC quarterfinals, they are currently unranked and may need to win the ECAC tournament to make it to the NCAA tournament.

As far as the season went for most of the prospects.  Mattson performed as expected based on his previous seasons, very underwhelming.  Koumontzis continued his downward trend after a strong freshman season, also underwhelming.  Nodler had a solid start to the year, but struggled to hit the scoresheet once 2022 as MSU went 1-15 to finish the year.  Boltmann showed improvements over last year, will see if he can get an increased role next year and Coronato had a very good freshman year.  I don't expect any to sign this season.  With the trade deadline approaching Coronato is the only real trade chip present that holds value.

• Like 1

Pretty underwhelming year all around unfortunately. None of the long shots stepped up and while I don't beleive Coronato had a "bad" year necessarily I do think it was reasonable to want more.  But it's another weird year all around with COVID, scheduling, World Juniors being canceled etc. I'm not going to make too many decisions based off this year. 

I would be very surprised to see Mattson or Koumontzis get contracts. Wouldn't shock me to see them sign Nodler but I think his season season is more likely. 

Boltman continues to be a read head scratcher of a pick but hey still time to prove everyone wrong. 

Edit: saw this after I posted. I would be very surprised a player would go back for a 5th year if his club was interested in signing him but you never know

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...