Stockton Heat 21/22 Season Discussion

36 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The Dome would be a busy building. 

I think we'd see the Hitmen play a few more games at Seven Chiefs if the AHL team ends up in Calgary. 

could do two games in one night.

might make for bad ice though. But imagine a double header where you can go see AHL flames and the big club for a topper discounted price?

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

On further look, they said "Calgary Area".

Not sure there really is a venue that could host AHL games.

Stockton wasn't getting much in attendance, but 5-7k is normal.

I don't know too mny venues with that many seats.

Both Lethbridge and Red Deer hold around 7K, I don't know if those would be options but probably the only "Calgary area" options that aren't Calgary

6 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Both Lethbridge and Red Deer hold around 7K, I don't know if those would be options but probably the only "Calgary area" options that aren't Calgary

I think the two closest venues in Calgary are 2000 or less.

The Dome presents scheduling issues, but some of that would change with a realignment.

Just not thrilled with the idea of multiple games played on game days.

I understand that Colorado Springs is also an option.

While the travel may be one of the reasons given, it's not the biggest problem.

Stockton has been negotiating for a few years now for an extension.

It should be simple, but obviously the Flames don't like the offers.

If the Heat are indeed relocating, I think it will be to play in the Saddledome.

Makes recalls so much easier. A smaller market like RD or Lethbridge aren’t the easiest to fly to, from Milwaukee or Iowa. 

There’s been rumours for a long time about Edmonton and Fort Mac, so maybe the flames would go to a smaller market as well.

29 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

If the Heat are indeed relocating, I think it will be to play in the Saddledome.

Makes recalls so much easier. A smaller market like RD or Lethbridge aren’t the easiest to fly to, from Milwaukee or Iowa. 

There’s been rumours for a long time about Edmonton and Fort Mac, so maybe the flames would go to a smaller market as well.

Realignment is necessay.

5 teams in 1 division out East and 6 in the other.

5 teams in one division out West and Pacific has 7 teams.

Seattle not represented yet.

At the very least the Pacific needs to lose one team.

Possibly 2, if Seattle gets their own team.

On a side not, the Baby Flames take on the Baby Avs.

We have home ice advantage.

Only 5 game series by the looks of it.

Be interesting to see where this lands. i can't imagine the Dome is an option as I don't think they would have enough dates and it would create a very messy logistical situation. It's not just Flames/Hitmen you have the Roughnecks and concerts to balance to, so i really don't see how it could work. I think if they are coming to Calgary or Calgary area they need their own building. 

I think the 7 Chiefs out at Tsu Tina would make the most sense to me. Not a huge capacity mind you (only 2,000) but brand new building with high end facilities, can become an anchor tenant and it's a pretty central location with the new ring road.

Would be neat to have them here both in terms of watching but also competitive advantage. I remember Burke commenting on this once that because the Marlies are in Toronto it was a sales pitch they would give to free agents they were trying to sign. Only had to buy/rent 1 apartment if they were going up and down

IMO, running NHL, AHL, WHL, and NLL teams all out of the same arena could be problematic for scheduling.

So, unless a new 5,000 to 10,000 capacity arena is quickly built in or around Calgary; Red Deer and Lethbridge are probably the two best options for the Flame's AHL team to relocate to.

The Peavey Mart Centrium in Red Deer seats 7,111 for hockey and it was announced Feb. 28th that the airport is getting a $15M expansion.

Lethbridge's Enmax Centre seats 5,479 and the airport is a little smaller.

1 hour ago, 420since1974 said:

IMO, running NHL, AHL, WHL, and NLL teams all out of the same arena could be problematic for scheduling.

So, unless a new 5,000 to 10,000 capacity arena is quickly built in or around Calgary; Red Deer and Lethbridge are probably the two best options for the Flame's AHL team to relocate to.

The Peavey Mart Centrium in Red Deer seats 7,111 for hockey and it was announced Feb. 28th that the airport is getting a $15M expansion.

Lethbridge's Enmax Centre seats 5,479 and the airport is a little smaller.

Red Deer population 103,000

Lethbridge population 92,000

Airdrie population 70,000

Just build a 7,000 seat facility in Airdrie.  Can sell tickets as packages to Flames tickets.

13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Red Deer population 103,000

Lethbridge population 92,000

Airdrie population 70,000

Just build a 7,000 seat facility in Airdrie.  Can sell tickets as packages to Flames tickets.

Who pays for that facility.  I can guarantee that CSEC won't I don't know if it would be that high of a priority for the town to want to pay.

Yeah I can't see someone standing up to pay for an arena out by CrossIron. I get the logic but I don't see who foots the bill for that unless it was some private investors/company who wanted to create some kind of arena/concert venue out there. 

But CESC shouldn't want to do it and I don't think there is a level of government it makes sense for either. The way I read these article I'm not sure the Flames plan on keeping their AHL team in Calgary for the long term, it's more of a shorter term solution 

8 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Who pays for that facility.  I can guarantee that CSEC won't I don't know if it would be that high of a priority for the town to want to pay.

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Yeah I can't see someone standing up to pay for an arena out by CrossIron. I get the logic but I don't see who foots the bill for that unless it was some private investors/company who wanted to create some kind of arena/concert venue out there. 

But CESC shouldn't want to do it and I don't think there is a level of government it makes sense for either. The way I read these article I'm not sure the Flames plan on keeping their AHL team in Calgary for the long term, it's more of a shorter term solution 

Well Airdrie is planning to build South to the borders of Calgary so we're talking maybe 150,000 people in 5-10 years.  This would be more people than Lethbridge and Red Deer.  We could create a similar situation as Vancouver/Abbotsford.  

I think CSEC should talk to the City of Airdrie to build an arena together.  There should be enough people in Airdrie and Calgary to fill an arena under 10,000... It's easy for people in Calgary to go watch some Flames prospects.  I know I would go.

The arena can also serve as an alternative practice facility for the Flames.  Won't have to run into scheduling issues and time constraints.

How much does it cost to build an arena with just one lower bowl?  Plus maybe 10 luxury boxes?

And no reason to make it temporary.  With COVID travel restrictions seemingly intact for the foreseeable future, it's more convenient to have the farm team right there at home.

28 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well Airdrie is planning to build South to the borders of Calgary so we're talking maybe 150,000 people in 5-10 years.  This would be more people than Lethbridge and Red Deer.  We could create a similar situation as Vancouver/Abbotsford.  

I think CSEC should talk to the City of Airdrie to build an arena together.  There should be enough people in Airdrie and Calgary to fill an arena under 10,000... It's easy for people in Calgary to go watch some Flames prospects.  I know I would go.

The arena can also serve as an alternative practice facility for the Flames.  Won't have to run into scheduling issues and time constraints.

How much does it cost to build an arena with just one lower bowl?  Plus maybe 10 luxury boxes?

And no reason to make it temporary.  With COVID travel restrictions seemingly intact for the foreseeable future, it's more convenient to have the farm team right there at home.

Looks like between 100-200 million doing a quick google. I don't see this as economic viable for the Flames and personally would find it pretty crappy to see them walk away from a downtown area deal for less than 100 million and then see them turn around and build an AHL building out towards Airdire. It doesn't make good business sense to me.

but it is also my understanding that the AHL is not a very profitable venture so I don't see the Flames spending a pile of money on it as very wise.

I think it's a bit of posturing myself.

Yes, they may want to be close to Calgary.

But, they have been stalemated with Stockton over a long term deal.

I don't see the Dome working as a venue.

2k seats somewhere may be okay, since you don't get as much interest in AHL.

Abby was pretty good as a spot, but that's taken.

7 Chiefs may be the best fit.

35 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Looks like between 100-200 million doing a quick google. I don't see this as economic viable for the Flames and personally would find it pretty crappy to see them walk away from a downtown area deal for less than 100 million and then see them turn around and build an AHL building out towards Airdire. It doesn't make good business sense to me.

but it is also my understanding that the AHL is not a very profitable venture so I don't see the Flames spending a pile of money on it as very wise.

Doing some Google myself, looks like a 4,000 to 5,000 seat arena starts at around $25-million.  Of course then add in all the road infrastructure and such.  Price goes up from there.  Possible to have a whole complex built under $50-million but that all said, we know material prices are fluctuating immensely due to global supply chain issues.

$100-mil of course no way.  Too much.  But if under $50-mil, then it's a worthwhile long term investment especially if split between CSEC, Airdrie, and the City of Calgary.  As long as Flames agree to play out of there for 20-years.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Doing some Google myself, looks like a 4,000 to 5,000 seat arena starts at around $25-million.  Of course then add in all the road infrastructure and such.  Price goes up from there.  Possible to have a whole complex built under $50-million but that all said, we know material prices are fluctuating immensely due to global supply chain issues.

$100-mil of course no way.  Too much.  But if under $50-mil, then it's a worthwhile long term investment especially if split between CSEC, Airdrie, and the City of Calgary.  As long as Flames agree to play out of there for 20-years.

I don't think cheaping out on an arena is the way to go, if you are fine with a 4K seater just use WinSport.  It's not a if you build it they will come thing, still need to make it an experience for the fans especially kids, it's what the Hitmen and Roughnecks do well, and even in Okotoks with the Dawgs.    

45 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I don't think cheaping out on an arena is the way to go, if you are fine with a 4K seater just use WinSport.  It's not a if you build it they will come thing, still need to make it an experience for the fans especially kids, it's what the Hitmen and Roughnecks do well, and even in Okotoks with the Dawgs.    

How much did it cost to build the Winsport 4k seater?  That size is enough.

18 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

How much did it cost to build the Winsport 4k seater?  That size is enough.

The whole project was 189million but that includes the other ice sheets, performance training center, office building etc. Also that was 10 yrs ago.

7 Chiefs is a 2000 seat arena and that cost just under 60 million (including facilities like gym etc).

The city of Hamilton a few years ago looked into building a 10,000 seat arena and budgeted around 130 million for the cost. 

The city of Thunder Bay wanted to lure an AHL team and had budgeted 113 million to build a mini event center (arena plus small convention center). 

It looks like if you just want an area with no amenities it's 50-60 mill. But that's real basic, likely bench/bleacher seating, no boxes/premium seating, and no team amenities like a gym for example. 

It looks like if you want just an arena to play hockey in you can do it for under 100 million. However, if you want a mini event center with better seating/experiences for hockey and other events you'll be over 100million. I'm not sure a project like this in that area is feasible as just a hockey rink though. 

Private investment would be the way to go I think. See if you could turn it into a detitanation with a hotel etc.