Stockton Heat 21/22 Season Discussion

20 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I guess nowadays I’d be considered a Dino Ciccerelli

I'll be sure to tell him you said that.lol

He's a Sarnia guy. Really good family.

You know, he tells the story...our jr B team was the Sarnia Bees (hence now jr team is the "Sting"). His dad used to fish broken sticks from the dumpster after Bees games and cut them to size for Dino. Hard luck story? No. Everyone did that.

You're like Dino for taking your house garbage out naked in Minnesota?lol Too funny, he was charged with indecent exposure. Stupid Italians. He thought no one would see in the early morn. Not that he was horny. Silly episode. We pulled our pants down pretending hockey and said, "Ciccarelli, breakaway". He laughed his Hash Rate off.

He's my oldest brother and brother-in-law's age. My bro-in-law played on the same teams as a scorer but broke his leg. All of them are fun. Dino's a good guy. Bought the Sting for Sarnia. Hockey is more than making the NHL. Too many obsessed parents is painful. I literally wanna punch them.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heat win last night to break their single season record for wins.

They keep chugging along, getting valuable experience for the young players.

Pelletier and Phillips lead the team with 48 and 50 points.

Pelletier has taken over goal leader with 22 on the season.

Philp has 18.

Tuulola and Pettersen seem to be finding their scoring touch lately.

• 1 month later...

Mitch Love named coach of the year in the AHL. Looked like a pretty astute hire when they did it and seems to be playing out that way. 

Very real chance the Flames organization will have the coach of the year in both the NHL and AHL at the end of the year. 

Goalie of the year as a rookie would feel rare to me. Wonder if that's been done before?

What a resume he has already. This is now the 3rd year in a row Wolf has won top goalie in the league he was in. He was back to back winner in the WHL and now the AHL so 3 straight years in a row. That's incredible. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Goalie of the year as a rookie would feel rare to me. Wonder if that's been done before?

What a resume he has already. This is now the 3rd year in a row Wolf has won top goalie in the league he was in. He was back to back winner in the WHL and now the AHL so 3 straight years in a row. That's incredible. 

Had to look it up WOLF NAMED AHL GOALTENDER OF THE YEAR (caravannews.com) but 10 times before

The Calgary Flames’ seventh-round selection (214th overall) in the 2019 NHL Draft is the 10th rookie ever to win the award, given annually since the 1983-84 season, joining Jon Casey (1984-85), Jean-Claude Bergeron (1989-90), Felix Potvin (1991-92), Corey Hirsch (1992-93), Jim Carey (1994-95), Martin Prusek (2001-02), Niklas Svedberg (2012-13), Matt Murray (2014-15) and Logan Thompson (2020-21).

On 5/5/2022 at 2:57 PM, cross16 said:

it’s good to know it’s something he’s used to, because it means his drive goes beyond. Winners tend to be able to play through that and not let it go to their heads.

On 5/7/2022 at 6:32 PM, robrob74 said:

i wonder if she is consistent. How old would the goalies be. If they came from Europe and played some pro there, are they still rookies? Or play a year or so ECHL?

Of the previous winners Prusek was 26 years old and played, Svedberg played a few years pro in Sweden, Thompson played in the ECHL, Jon Casey played a full collegiate career so the rest were in the 20-21 yr old range.  Jim Carey might have the more impressive feat as he won the AHL award, but was also runner up for the Calder trophy the same year.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The Soo could be toast tomorrow, down 3-1 to Flint.

Would that have Kerins heading to Stockton?

Beck is there, but is just practicing.  He may not get into games.

Likely Kerins would be heading to Stockton.

We just have not had long playoff runs with the Heat in a long time.

Usually their season is done before the CHL and would be part of the Black Aces.

Guys like Poirier, Francis and Kuz will be at the Memorial, so no chance they get to come.

I'd be suprised if the Flames didn't want Kerins in Stockton after the season. Whether or not he got into some games is the bigger questions. 

Heat are deep this year. Petterson had a pretty meh season but now leads the team in scoring so far. Deep in talent. 

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'd be suprised if the Flames didn't want Kerins in Stockton after the season. Whether or not he got into some games is the bigger questions. 

Heat are deep this year. Petterson had a pretty meh season but now leads the team in scoring so far. Deep in talent. 

Agree. I would assume if anything at all 4th line center. Although the Soo's leading point getter, he's always the first in D roles. Hence why I think he's at 11 assists in 9 games now. Quite a few Soo guys ahead of him but due to O-zone starts probably.