Stockton Heat 21/22 Season Discussion

Bit late on this, but wanted a central place to discuss things related to the Heat. Stockton so far is 1-1 on the season but their first lost was a 1-0 OT loss. 

Once they get Zary back this look to me to be the best collection of talent the Flames farm team has had in some time, probably since 16-17. I'm intrigued with what Mitch Love could do with this club. Certainly been some time since they had a goalie as promising as Wolf.

Roster as of opening day. Ryan Francis signed an PTO with the Heat. Can last up to 25 games and he is still eligible for Junior this year. 

GOALIES

31 – Andrew Shortridge
32 – Dustin Wolf
35 – Adam Werner
40 – Matt Greenfield
50 – Daniil Chechelev

DEFENSEMEN

2 – Connor Mackey
3 – Greg Moro
4 – Kevin Gravel
5 – Colton Poolman
6 – Ilya Solovyov
7 – Nick DeSimone
10 – Alec McRea
37 – Yan Kuznetsov
45 – Andy Welinski

FORWARDS

9 – Ryan Olsen
11 – Matthew Phillips
16 – Mark Simpson
17 – Dmitry Zavgorodniy
18 – Byron Froese
20 – Alex Gallant
23 – Justin Kirkland
24 – Martin Pospisil
25 – Eetu Tuulola
26 – Reid Perepeluk
27 – Ryan Francis
29 – Adam Ruzicka
34 – Walker Duehr
39 – Luke Philp
46 – Emilio Pettersen
49 – Jakob Pelletier

• Like 3

5 goalies is insane.

Daniil Chechelev is signed to an AHL deal, but his last play was MHL and VHL.

But there are at least two goalies above him in the depth chart; Wolf and Werner.

Not enough AHL games to run 3 goalies, let alone 5.  

6 if you count Parson, depending on if he ever plays again for the Flames.

Currently non-roster on the Flames.

Heat have 9D and 16F healthy right now as well.

Add Kinnvall and Zary and again, a lot of depth.

Up against our ol' pal Buddy Robinson tonight!

For those thinking we have too many goalies, the SD Gulls have 5 listed on their roster.

I'll try to stay up for this one, but I'm in ON, old, and most of all, decrepit.lol

Always like watching the lower leagues.

Maybe I can remember to record instead. Because there's not all to do when I get up at 5am.

Thanks cross, the all in 1 place is way better, and sak for the NCAA. When the border opens, Ann Arbour's my first stop to see the Wolverines, somehow ranked 3rd??

Is jr harder to do all in one is my wonder? Too many players?

Heat should be good this year. SD looks big and tough, Ducks, go figure.

Shoulda mentioned, PACKED HOUSE!

Nice to see in San Diego.

$2 Bud Light.lol

Cali is one hot hockey market, I was told over 10 years ago by Cali Midget parents that they are throwing up arenas like crazy.

Soooo cool!! Their team sucked back then, but the kids were ecstatic to run practices outside on a small frozen lake. The parents said it was all they talked about enroute.

They lost that game 16-0 to the Toronto Marlboroughs. They've come a looong way!

I enjoyed watching Max Jones' Detroit Honeybaked BTC-slap the Marlboroughs after that. Then Shattuck St Mary's and Chicago Mission beat the Marlboros.

I was so happy. Only T.O. ran the score on the Cali kids.

Nice start to the season for the Heat.

Two great starts for Wolf. Looked like Werner was solid last night.

Big night for Pelletier against SD. Nice to see him putting up points. Can't wait until Zary is healthy.

I think Stockton's forward ranks have a ton of NHL options. 

Gawdin- he will be back up soon

Ruzicka

Duehr

Kirkland

Froese

I really want Phillips to get a shot at some point too. 

Personal message to Ruzicka.lol

Please Adam, end my love-hate relationship. As a Sting fan, I loved the Flames drafting you.

As a Sting fan, you were non-existent vs Kitchener when we should have run them out of town.

You and Kyrou were huge disappointments. He's getting paid now, it's time for you to get paid.

Get consistent, you need to lead that Blockchaining team, hands down.

Don't break my heart again.lol

You can be great in the NHL. You're really good when you aren't floating. Great skaters skate hard every shift.

Your faceoffs, size, great hands, great shot.

This is how hard it is to make an NHL roster.

Don't get down. Get even. Get paid.

You aren't a tweener. You have to prove it.

Everyone playing in the NHL is getting paid because, to a man, they have a massive chip on their shoulder.

For the people that believed in them, for the naysayers. That is every player that reaches the NHL.

Do that. Carry it around like a burden. Every shift.

You've got this thing man. Wear your heart on your sleeve.

Play angry if you have to. All of the time.

For everyone that believes in you.

We shouldn't have to defend you, you're a better player than Zacha when you wanna be.

You have to want it. We need you more than any other player in Stockton right now.

Grab the bull by the horns. There's a spot for you.

Mangia-Ruzicka-Dube has a great ring to it.

Take it.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Mangia-Ruzicka-Dube has a great ring to it.

Take it.

Was miffed that he showed up late for camp, so to speak.

He's looking like a top player in the AHL, so what is stopping him from getting here?

Sorry, but we don't need another 4th line C right now.

Limited results there showed he plays down to the level of the line.

Get one game between the two speedsters and light it up.

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Kuznetsov sure is a tough call. Strange to think he's only 19 with a yr in the USHL and 2 at UConn. Pretty appealing to go to St. John and pair up with Poirier.

But if he helps Stockton that's another matter...

There was some question about whether he would use up one of their import spots, but they didn't have one available.

I read where two guys that are dual citizens (US/CAN) are not counted as imports.

Stockton just sent down one of their D, so they have 7D now (IIRC).

It is a tough call.  

Here's an article about it:

https://thewincolumn.ca/2021/11/16/the-calgary-flames-need-to-pick-a-path-for-prospect-yan-kuznetsov/

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Calgary has loaned Zavgorodniy to the KHL. He has only played 6 games this year. Probably the best for him and his development.

He's too weak physically even for a small player.  His stats were always inflated by Lafreniere and he's proved to have no offense at the next level of hockey.  He's too small to transition into a depth guy so the only option that remains is go to KHL and hope to have a career over there.  It was a worthwhile gamble with a 7th round pick but he simply did not make enough of an impression to stay.  At least 10 other prospects should get priority ice time over him.

19 hours ago, The_People1 said:

He's too weak physically even for a small player.  His stats were always inflated by Lafreniere and he's proved to have no offense at the next level of hockey.  He's too small to transition into a depth guy so the only option that remains is go to KHL and hope to have a career over there.  It was a worthwhile gamble with a 7th round pick but he simply did not make enough of an impression to stay.  At least 10 other prospects should get priority ice time over him.

True. It was a pretty good reach at a 7th, putting it into perspective. Good Swiss league vet eventually. Good on him. Beautiful country.

It's a big deal for these individuals just to say they were drafted by the NHL.

I have friends that played in leagues overseas and loved it. Even the Italian League.

You're 21-23yo, not an NHLer, it's pretty attractive for 5 years to see the world, all expenses paid, some cash in your pocket, and locals babying you.lol

Great life experiences for them.

Hockey's a great path. There is life outside of making the NHL. Not making the NHL is hardly failure.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

True. It was a pretty good reach at a 7th, putting it into perspective. Good Swiss league vet eventually. Good on him. Beautiful country.

It's a big deal for these individuals just to say they were drafted by the NHL.

I have friends that played in leagues overseas and loved it. Even the Italian League.

You're 21-23yo, not an NHLer, it's pretty attractive for 5 years to see the world, all expenses paid, some cash in your pocket, and locals babying you.lol

Great life experiences for them.

Hockey's a great path. There is life outside of making the NHL. Not making the NHL is hardly failure.

Hell! I’d have been happy to just have been taught how to skate at a young age. I can get places with iq, but if I could skate, my beer league skill would be off the charts! I’ve played on teams that had guys who played in JR or Junior B and it’s great! 

I guess nowadays I’d be considered a Dino Ciccerelli, but if I could skate a bit better, a Hudler… 

anyway! Pro hockey anywhere= great opportunities