Arsenii Sergeev - Goaltender

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Arsenii Sergeev with another 26 saves on 27 shots tonight. He's up to 8–1–0 with a .950 SV% (!!!!!!!!) this season.

I have to say the Flames take smart risks in rounds 6 and 7.   I just wish they would do the same from rounds 3-5.

I was hoping to see him in College this year, maybe I misunderstood or something happened.   In any case, I've always liked it when European/Russian goalies made the move here earlier in their development and pretty excited about where this could lead.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I have to say the Flames take smart risks in rounds 6 and 7.   I just wish they would do the same from rounds 3-5.

I was hoping to see him in College this year, maybe I misunderstood or something happened.   In any case, I've always liked it when European/Russian goalies made the move here earlier in their development and pretty excited about where this could lead.

He committed to UConn for 2022, so I suspect this is a year building to that.

Some deets about the kid:

https://thewincolumn.ca/2021/08/13/getting-to-know-calgary-flames-seventh-round-pick-arseni-sergeev/

Last week named goalie of the week:

https://www.stormhockey.com/news_article/show/1193360

Holy crikey. What the hell happened here, exactly?

Basically a jr B (AJHL) goalie in Shreveport, beautiful Louisiana. Nothing positive prior to that.

Decent numbers last year, but wow.

Where did it all come together like this? Not understanding.

Now he's the tall version of Wolf's jr numbers in a comparable league.

Regardless of where it goes from here, this was a complete wild swing imho.

Who's our jr scout in Louisiana?lol

Already worth the price of admission!🍿🍺

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

What is USHL?  Is that like NCAA div.2 equivalent?

I don't know either but that was my understanding.   This always looked like a good pick, the only one I vouched for other than Coronato in 2021.

But yes, at his age and skill he should be in a higher league.  He should be in NCAA right now.  So it's a Little hard to assess him.   

I'm not sure what can be done about that.  I know he's signed up for college next year and I THOUGHT he was signed up for college this year.   But apparently not.    I have mixed feellings about him being in the USHL.   But at the very least he is finding success and that is always a good start.

4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I don't know either but that was my understanding.   This always looked like a good pick, the only one I vouched for other than Coronato in 2021.

But yes, at his age and skill he should be in a higher league.  He should be in NCAA right now.  So it's a Little hard to assess him.   

I'm not sure what can be done about that.  I know he's signed up for college next year and I THOUGHT he was signed up for college this year.   But apparently not.    I have mixed feellings about him being in the USHL.   But at the very least he is finding success and that is always a good start.

Isn't the USHL basically the CHL of the US? Or is it actually like JR B? It's definitely a league that players can go through to get to NCAA Hockey, so not quite like CHL JR. So like JrB but isn't the talent at CHL level?

So to me, it would be like playing the extra year in the CHL like Wolf has done, or any other player for that matter. 

18 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

USHL is close instandard to the CHL leagues WHL, OHL & QMJHL but you might considser it more on the level of AJHL/BCJHL as they are amateur leagues.

c76bbf903f1c748c7ea331c90ac4da42.png

https://goaliecoaches.com/understanding-junior-hockey-path-nhl/

Agreed.

It is a tricky situation, I do think he's in one league below what he should be.  I would love it if the Flames could put him in the ECHL right now.

I do think the kid made the right decision coming over to North America easy.   The transition is very tough and best learned young.   So this is still better than being overseas.

21 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

USHL is close instandard to the CHL leagues WHL, OHL & QMJHL but you might considser it more on the level of AJHL/BCJHL as they are amateur leagues.

c76bbf903f1c748c7ea331c90ac4da42.png

https://goaliecoaches.com/understanding-junior-hockey-path-nhl/

Thanks.  If he was dominating NCAA as an 18-year-old then ya, that's crazy.  It's great that he's posting these numbers against 16 and 17 year olds but some context and perspective is good too.  Nonetheless, it's good to see these numbers.

7 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Agreed.

It is a tricky situation, I do think he's in one league below what he should be.  I would love it if the Flames could put him in the ECHL right now.

I do think the kid made the right decision coming over to North America easy.   The transition is very tough and best learned young.   So this is still better than being overseas.

It's not as simple as being one league below in standard, it's more about amatuer vs pro.

USHL is amateur as it feeds the NCAA.  It is still the top tier of junior in the US.

CHL is considered pro hockey and guys cannot go NCAA once they have been in the CHL.

It is why you see some players drafted dorect from BCHL, AJHL etc, as they hold amateur status and can still go down NCAA route.

Cole Silligner was in the USHL last year.  Seems to be doing okay for CBJ as the youngest player in the league.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

It's not as simple as being one league below in standard, it's more about amatuer vs pro.

USHL is amateur as it feeds the NCAA.  It is still the top tier of junior in the US.

CHL is considered pro hockey and guys cannot go NCAA once they have been in the CHL.

It is why you see some players drafted dorect from BCHL, AJHL etc, as they hold amateur status and can still go down NCAA route.

Cole Silligner was in the USHL last year.  Seems to be doing okay for CBJ as the youngest player in the league.

Sillinger, the guy we probably draft if CBJ hadn't taken him.

Then again, pretty hard to ignore Coronato's 48 goals last year in 51 games.

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Thanks.  If he was dominating NCAA as an 18-year-old then ya, that's crazy.  It's great that he's posting these numbers against 16 and 17 year olds but some context and perspective is good too.  Nonetheless, it's good to see these numbers.

16-21yos. So he's in the middle of the age group. USHL is the Tier 1 US comparable to Canadian Jr. NAHL is the Tier 2, that's where Sergeev played as a 16-17yo during the covid mess. That would be like Ontario Jr B hockey. So the progression's pretty decent considering Covid.

5 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Helpful, and agreed. but with that, this would be like Cole Sillinger spending another season there

SI-Hockey News had him ranked the 9th best goalie heading into the draft:

"Arseni Sergeyev, Shreveport (NAHL)
A recent commit to the University of Connecticut, Sergeyev comes out of the often-overlooked NAHL, but it's hard to ignore it for much longer. "You can't help but love his confidence," a scout said. "He knows what he's capable of. When he has a bad game, he finds a way to bounce back." That's big for a young goalie, especially one that had to adjust to a new life overseas from his native Russia as a teenager. Sergeyev has good size at 6-foot-3 and he just never gives up on a battle when the game is on the line. Overall, a nice project guy that could become a solid backup with 1B potential if everything goes well in the NCAA".

31 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

A recent commit to the University of Connecticut, Sergeyev comes out of the often-overlooked NAHL, but it's hard to ignore it for much longer. "You can't help but love his confidence," a scout said. "He knows what he's capable of. When he has a bad game, he finds a way to bounce back." That's big for a young goalie, especially one that had to adjust to a new life overseas from his native Russia as a teenager. Sergeyev has good size at 6-foot-3 and he just never gives up on a battle when the game is on the line. Overall, a nice project guy that could become a solid backup with 1B potential if everything goes well in the NCAA".

Not that I am a fan of the NCAA as a development league, but I do like the timelines associated with a player that goes there.

Markstrom has about 3 years at his current level.

Vladar has a longer runway, and could turn into a solid NHL goalie as a starter.

Wolfie is back from Vladar, but could come into the NHL sooner.

Werner is a bit more uncertain, possibly just a good backup goalie.

Sergeev could come out of the NCAA as anything at this point.

3-5 years away is not unreasonable.

It's a good problem to have.

None of them are projected to be Vasilevskiy level and maybe not even be Knight level.

Goalies are voodoo, so Wolfie could be better than Knight for all we know.

Pretty solid start to a pro career.

In fact, I would suggest that Knight may have been overrated like Gillies was coming out of Hockey East.

18 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It really does depend on how you evaluate a European / Russian goalie in their transition year (s) to NA.

For myself personally, getting ranked 9th in his transition year means he's top 3 in the draft, more or less.   For two reasons, the difficulty factor but also because his development path going forward from here is going to be much more favorable to that of his European counterparts who must transition later in their development.

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Not that I am a fan of the NCAA as a development league, but I do like the timelines associated with a player that goes there.

Markstrom has about 3 years at his current level.

Vladar has a longer runway, and could turn into a solid NHL goalie as a starter.

Wolfie is back from Vladar, but could come into the NHL sooner.

Werner is a bit more uncertain, possibly just a good backup goalie.

Sergeev could come out of the NCAA as anything at this point.

3-5 years away is not unreasonable.

It's a good problem to have.

None of them are projected to be Vasilevskiy level and maybe not even be Knight level.

Goalies are voodoo, so Wolfie could be better than Knight for all we know.

Pretty solid start to a pro career.

In fact, I would suggest that Knight may have been overrated like Gillies was coming out of Hockey East.

Interestingly though, had Sergeev stayed at home and developed there, it is ... Possible...conceivable that he could have been rated Vasilevskiy level.  I'm not saying guaranteed or likely, but definitely he fell off the radar when he moved over and I think it was a very smart decision on his part.

8 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Interestingly though, had Sergeev stayed at home and developed there, it is ... Possible...conceivable that he could have been rated Vasilevskiy level.  I'm not saying guaranteed or likely, but definitely he fell off the radar when he moved over and I think it was a very smart decision on his part.

Unless they move over at a young age, the states are against them leaving.

Sorokin was doubtful to ever come over.

I hope that he can develop into a solid goalie.

He's young and good size.

Playing well.