Robin Lehner

The_People1

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think he is bang on. It’s the NHLPAs job to represent and protect their players so why don’t they? Where have they been on the issues of concussions? Medical care? Eichel? They don’t say a thing

Because the union already sold out their players by letting the team decide the type of surgery the player must undergo.  Sounds crazy that a team has full authority over a player's body and choices.  Of course teams will opt for the quick fix and push its players back into the lineup as soon as they can.  GMs career spans are so short and pressure to win is so great. 

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think he is bang on. It’s the NHLPAs job to represent and protect their players so why don’t they? Where have they been on the issues of concussions? Medical care? Eichel? They don’t say a thing

I haven't followed closely but from what I've seen, Lehner is right.  Very goaltenderish of him lol, but it takes all kinds.   If he starts defending the Anti-Vaxers, I'll change my mind.   Tired of people dying for the Anti-Vax cause.   from the points he's focused on...yeah.    The NHL has heavily abused its NDA and what Lehner is doing is brilliant.   It could end his NHL career so he's paying a price, and I think he knows that.   Good on him for sticking with the narrative.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Because the union already sold out their players by letting the team decide the type of surgery the player must undergo.  Sounds crazy that a team has full authority over a player's body and choices.  Of course teams will opt for the quick fix and push its players back into the lineup as soon as they can.  GMs career spans are so short and pressure to win is so great. 

Yup

8 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I haven't followed closely but from what I've seen, Lehner is right.  Very goaltenderish of him lol, but it takes all kinds.   If he starts defending the Anti-Vaxers, I'll change my mind.   Tired of people dying for the Anti-Vax cause.   from the points he's focused on...yeah.    The NHL has heavily abused its NDA and what Lehner is doing is brilliant.   It could end his NHL career so he's paying a price, and I think he knows that.   Good on him for sticking with the narrative.

But surely you must be against government tyranny and for pro-choice?

18 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Seems this is an issue that no one talks about until now.

It's an interesting conversation to have because again, of course teams are going to choose the short term quick fix solution over one that heals longer with long term benefits.  This crosses the line between money and ethics.  Yes, teams pay extremely high salaries and if players had the option to self diagnose and choose their remedies, then they could miss extra months of work.  That's kind of not fair to the team.  At the same time, what teams do to players sounds unhuman. 

It seems the NHL has barely recovered from the CET scandal leaving ex-players to commit suicide.  Now, leaving ex-players hooked on opioids...

15 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I should add i'm not surprised the NHLPA is taking this route. I just think the frustration Lehner showed has been building for some time mostly because I don't think the NHLPA has ever done a good job of protecting it's players. Sure they capitalized on the growth of the 90s and were able to leverage some very good CBAs for their player, but outside of that their history as a union is brutal at best. 

I don't think Lehner is the last to say something and as pointed out her really isn't the first either. He's just the first active player to act this critical but I think more will follow. 

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

But surely you must be against government tyranny and for pro-choice?

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/oilers-forward-josh-archibald-out-indefinitely-with-myocarditis

I wouldn't flinch if Anti-Vaxers and politicians they influence (cough cough Kenney) start getting charged with involuntary manslaughter if that provides any insight on where I stand on the matter lol.    **not to be mixed with pro-choice (disclaimer).

Not necessarily saying JA deserves his hockey career ruined over this but I do hope it knocks some sense into some of the thicker helmets out there.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

It's an interesting conversation to have because again, of course teams are going to choose the short term quick fix solution over one that heals longer with long term benefits.  This crosses the line between money and ethics.  Yes, teams pay extremely high salaries and if players had the option to self diagnose and choose their remedies, then they could miss extra months of work.  That's kind of not fair to the team.  At the same time, what teams do to players sounds unhuman. 

It seems the NHL has barely recovered from the CET scandal leaving ex-players to commit suicide.  Now, leaving ex-players hooked on opioids...

They have absolutely not recovered, imho from the CET scandal and in fact we have just seen the beginnings of that.   

I won't cry when Bettman moves on from the NHL and the CET scandal would be a great reason for him to go.

Professional sports are incredibly driven by greed, I don't have a solution to this but it would be nice if people at least tried to work towards one.   The NHL is solely interested in covering it up and quite frankly the NHLPA is too, they just want a bigger piece of the pie and that is their existence right now.

I don't know what the solution is, I like great entertainment just as much as the next guy but it would be nice if gladiator tactics weren't used for it and I'm really no sure they're necessary.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

I should add i'm not surprised the NHLPA is taking this route. I just think the frustration Lehner showed has been building for some time mostly because I don't think the NHLPA has ever done a good job of protecting it's players. Sure they capitalized on the growth of the 90s and were able to leverage some very good CBAs for their player, but outside of that their history as a union is brutal at best. 

I don't think Lehner is the last to say something and as pointed out her really isn't the first either. He's just the first active player to act this critical but I think more will follow. 

I read a journal article about the NHLPA and how they negotiate with the NHL. Historically, the PA has rarely (I believe the author used the word "never" at the time) negotiated on player safety vigorously at all. It has always been "show me the money". It might have changed a bit in the last decade, but I have not seen it.