Muller & MacLean added to coaching staff

sak22

The Calgary Flames announced today that they have named Kirk Muller as associate coach and Cail MacLean as assistant coach.  

Muller and MacLean will join Darryl Sutter's staff that includes assistant coach Ryan Huska, goaltender coach Jason Labarbera and video coach Jamie Pringle.

Former assistant coaches Ray Edwards and Martin Gelinas will not return to the coaching staff. Edwards will resume his previous role in player development while Gelinas will also transition to player development operations.

And we have news.  

9 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Could it be a succession plan from Sutter? 

get the team on track for a few years and leave the rest to Muller?

I think it's more like moving on from certain guys that have been around for years.

Only coaches get fired.

A/coaches get promoted to "development".

Edwards

Gelly

Signalet

I would say that nothing about that crew screams success in their roles.

I'm happy for MacLean. He's done some really good things in Stockton and while I know their record was awful last year that team looks awesome when it was healthy and Zary was down there. Their special teams were really impressive too so I think he's got a future. I'm a fan. 

Happy to see Gelinas and Edwards stick around in player development as I think both have been good for the Flames in that regard and their development has been pretty good (save for some exceptions for sure).

I'm pretty meh on Muller though. He is well respected in league circles so maybe there is more there but for me i've never quite understood the hype. He's never really been part of great teams, results are up and down and he really didn't look good as a head coach in Carolina. As an associate coach I can understand it but certainly would not be happy if this is a succession plan. 

Few coaches appear to be worth their weight in gold. Seeing Vegas turn the narrative on Colorado has me looking at Peter DeBoer in a similar light. Trotz appears to be a good one. Quinneville. I’m sure there’s a few more, but not many. 

I do like Sutter. I’m just not seeing the fit at this particular point in time. 

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I guess I only worry, that maybe this coaching staff is too geared towards defense, but that is working for Trots and the Islanders, so it could work here too.

If only we had the defense to go with the defensive play.

Only a few teams are successful at that, and they usually have a core to envy.

5 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I guess I only worry, that maybe this coaching staff is too geared towards defense, but that is working for Trots and the Islanders, so it could work here too.

Trots has turned that Franchise around. Thats what a good coach does and listening to that coach is what a good GM does.

5 hours ago, JTech780 said:

And I think we knew was going to happen as soon as Sutter became the coach anyway. Right or wrong, Flames are hitched to this wagon. 

If is also working for the Habs and worked for the Stars last year too. It's not my preferred route but it's one that has decent rationale behind it. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

And I think we knew was going to happen as soon as Sutter became the coach anyway. Right or wrong, Flames are hitched to this wagon. 

If is also working for the Habs and worked for the Stars last year too. It's not my preferred route but it's one that has decent rationale behind it. 

I get the rationale, and it makes sense if you don't have the most talented team, but still want to be competitive. I think that's where my issue is, instead of addressing the roster, whether through or rebuild or not, they are trying to pick a style that will bring success without a complete roster overhaul. I just am not sure that the roster is good enough to play a really tight checking style.of game.

18 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I get the rationale, and it makes sense if you don't have the most talented team, but still want to be competitive. I think that's where my issue is, instead of addressing the roster, whether through or rebuild or not, they are trying to pick a style that will bring success without a complete roster overhaul. I just am not sure that the roster is good enough to play a really tight checking style.of game.

Don't disagree, although I do think this roster is good enough  but I can understand the counterpoint there too. 

I don't like the route the are going I just understand it. I would prefer building more along the lines of teams like Vegas, Colorado, Tampa, Carolina, Boston etc. 

Bit lost in the announcement is Stockton is losing assistant coach Dominic Pittis who is leaving for another opportunity. 

With MacLean being promoted only Joe Cirella remains and Stockton needs almost a whole new coaching staff so more moves to follow. 

On 6/11/2021 at 10:25 AM, JTech780 said:

If feel that would be a good thing.   All the same, I'm on the fence with Kirk

• 5 weeks later...