Flames sign 2020 2nd rounder Yan Kuznetsov

Flames have signed their 2nd round pick from last year to his entry level deal, which means he'll be turning pro. Placed this year in the NCAA and represented Russia at the World Juniors. 

A bit surprised by this, but given he's played the last 2 years in the NCAA I'm sure they wanted to avoid the temptation of pulling him closer to UFA status. 

Was not a fan of some of the 2020 picks.   

That said, we do need defencemen, they can't all be Norris winners and a guy his size should have no problem translating to the AHL at the least.

Hopefully a sign they've learned their lesson gambling with NCAA prospects.     Sign or trade, early.

• 3 months later...

Kuznetsov was picked in the CHL import draft by Saint John, same junior team as Jeremie Poirier and Ryan Francis, so the Flames do have the option of having him play in the CHL next season and not just Stockton. Francis will go pro but Poirier would still be there. 

I suspect they'll put him in the A but they have another option now. 

• 8 months later...

In a poll of all the players at the CHL Top Prospects game Kuznetsov received 1 vote as the most challenging player to play against. I found that interesting. 

From what I understand he's had a pretty so/so year in the CHL but he will need to make it as a hard Dman to play against so that's why I find this interesting. 

I can see why Gaudreau is there. Sting goalie. Pronounced Go-drow. lol

He's feisty as hell. I know the Knights despise him. He's a great goalie on a really bad team. Yet he keeps owning the Knights and SSM lately.

I think Kuznetsov will be a good dman. Seems pretty cerebral and responsible. Good size, good skater.

No reason he wouldn't be on Russia's WJC team if Russia wasn't, well...Russia.

• 2 months later...
On 6/22/2022 at 7:35 PM, travel_dude said:

Kuz sure like to play a physical game.

I mean it's just the Memorial Cup with junior players, but he uses his body effectively.

I'm a fan. I like Dmen that focus on playing D. He's a pretty sound player positionally, won't wow you, but solid.

Really interesting. What jumps out is the 3 points in 4 games.

Very small sample size but if he can start generating some offence that ceiling could move pretty high. I've generally been pretty impressed with how he plays in his own end but if he can add that transition element and offence to his game that could lead somewhere. 

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

A smarter one defensively.

*Sutter raises his eyebrows*

I was thinking he's a bit of Gudbranson (not the fighting part), so maybe Zaddy was not the right reference.

He's solid in his own end, which was what we only saw from Zaddy "at times".

Maybe a more accurate thing would be a meaner Russian Tanev.  LOL