Hockey book recommendations

rocketdoctor

I was lucky enogh to get 5 hockey books for christmas this year and I am on the look out for some recommendations.

I have just read

Battle of Alberta - Mark Spector - thoroughly enjoyed as it covers 3 of the years I was in Alberta

Burke's Law - not a bad read actually

Hockeys Hot Stove - Al Strachan - was a bit meh and the least enjoyable in this list

The Down Goes Brown History of the NHL - Dean McIndoe - really good read

Currently reading - One Game at a time - Harnarayan Singh - also enjoying.

Anyone got any books I should add to my list?

• Like 2

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm always on the lookout for more books too. Glad to hear your feedback on Burke's as I had my eye on that one. I'll add some of mine. 

I would highly recommend:

Playing with Fire - Theo's book. Terrific read, I couldn't put it down. 

King or Russia - Dave King. Really cool read about what life is like in Russia.

The Game - I don't view this as the classic that some do but i do think it's a must read for a hockey fan. I don't love Dryden's style of writing but this is the most insightful hockey book i've ever read when it comes to what is life actually like for a player or a team. 

Journeyman - Written by Chris Pronger's brother Sean it's a really enjoyable, and pretty humorous, look at what life is like for a Journeyman. Sean only played one full season in the NHL but spent over 10 years as a call up and going up and down between the AHL and NHL. Some great stories. 

Searching for Bobby Orr - I really like Brunt so i'm biased here but it's a really good read. It's much better than Orr's book and does give some pretty cool stories around just how good Orr was. I didn't really like Orr's book, it's pretty vanilla. 

Crossing the Line - Derek Sanderson. I really enjoyed this book as it's such a unique story. Quick coles notes, Derek Sanderson came up with the Bruins and wound up being one of hockey's first millionaires when the WHA poached him. Lived a very crazy lifestyle. 

The best seat in the House by Jamie McLennan - A good light read with some pretty funny stories. It's not a great book but I think most Flames fans would enjoy it. 

If you are interested in scouting Future Greats and Heartbreaks is pretty cool. if you don't like scouting though it's not a great read. 

If you like how teams are built and how GM's work Ice Storm by Bruce Dowbiggen is a good read. It's a bit dated now but Money Players is one of my favorite hockey books. It was written prior to the lockout of 04 so like I said dated, but it's a fantastic look at why the lockout happened and why salaries got out of control so if you like the business side it's very cool. 

The last Hockey book i read was Scotty by Ken Dryden. Written with Scotty Bowman but this is not really about him or his life but how he saw the game. He ranks the best teams of all time and gives his thoughts. I don't love Dryden's writing style so I found this dry and while it's really the only book who has been able to get inside the mind of Bowman (I enjoy reading how coaches work) it's not as interesting as you'd think. Still worth a read but i'd probably read the others here first. 

• Like 1

Cheers Cross

I have ready both of Theo's book and yes Playing With Fire was hard to put down.

Clint Malarchuks The Crazy Game is well worth a read.

First Hockey Book I ever read was 'Lanny' before we won the cup so I daresay later addtions had an extra chapter or two!  I was even lucky enough to bump into the Flames at the airport during the cup run and got Lanny to sign it for me.

• Like 2

I got Burke's as an Xmas gift this year, haven't got around to reading it yet hopefully soon.  Will look into some of those suggested.  Have had my eyes on Game Change by Dryden and Finding Murph as my potential next reads after Burke's Law, if anyone has any insight on those ones let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

Gilmour book arrived this morning.

Already finished it!

Some good anecdotes of pranks and stunts pulled on teamates.  But overall  I never felt I really got to know the real Doug Gilmour sort of kept everything at arms length.  The accusations that saw him to come to Calgary were glossed over and  I was hoping to get a feel of how he dealt with that on a personal level but I guess he jsut wanted to forget it and I can't blame him for that.  Overall an enjoyable easy read.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

510-rgcaOQL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 

I  just ordered a copy for myself, you may be interested in this, yes it goes back for us older guys but he faced against Gordie and Ted Lindsay in the old days , "1960, McFarlane was the first Canadian to be a commentator on CBS’s coverage of the NHL. He also survived 25 years of Hockey Night in Canada"