Connor Zary- 2020 1st round pick

On 10/2/2021 at 1:56 PM, zima said:

So I watch the link on Zary the coach gave him a raving review saying he is probably one of the best players in that league so he was picked pretty high in the Draft why is that are they saying the WHL is not comparable to the OHL or the Q ?

Pretty much boils down to population

Ontario: 14-million

Western Canada: 11-million

Quebec+East: 10-million

There are just more kids to draw from in Ontario.  I do think the WHL compares very well with the Q though.  Depending on the draft, sometimes only 2 or 3 first rounders come from the WHL or QMJHL whereas the OHL can produce anywhere from 3 to 10. 

Nowadays, the US system is very good too.  Roughly speaking 650,000 kids in Canada play organized hockey compared to about 550,000 kids in USA play organized hockey.  That said, you still have America's most gifted athletes choosing Football, Basketball, or Baseball over hockey... hockey gets the smaller leftover athletes in the USA.

On 10/5/2021 at 4:44 AM, The_People1 said:

Pretty much boils down to population

Ontario: 14-million

Western Canada: 11-million

Quebec+East: 10-million

There are just more kids to draw from in Ontario.  I do think the WHL compares very well with the Q though.  Depending on the draft, sometimes only 2 or 3 first rounders come from the WHL or QMJHL whereas the OHL can produce anywhere from 3 to 10. 

Nowadays, the US system is very good too.  Roughly speaking 650,000 kids in Canada play organized hockey compared to about 550,000 kids in USA play organized hockey.  That said, you still have America's most gifted athletes choosing Football, Basketball, or Baseball over hockey... hockey gets the smaller leftover athletes in the USA.

liberals play hockey?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
6 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Zary with 2 goals so far tonight. He has been playing much better as of late. 10 points in his last 14 games. I think he has been getting more opportunities lately.

Do you know where he is slotted? With Rozie back and Gawdin still around, wonder if that's from 3C.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...