UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

36 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I wonder if the US political landscape and social unrests have changed any of this in terms of Calgary being a desired place to play/work/live.

I would assume the US West Coast has suddenly become an undesirable place to live.  Bankrupt States looking to rob from the rich.  Reduced police.  Racism against White men.  Post-Modernist SWJ paradise,  Etc, etc.  California exodus is a thing now.

New York is getting bad too.  So not that Calgary has a lot to offer but it's what it doesn't have that ironically makes it attractive.

it’s not about racism against white people, it’s about getting justice for the disparity that is created by systemic racism. And there’s is a reason for social justice warriors taking action as police should not be killing unarmed BIPOC. There’s a reason that there’s a committee for it in hockey as well, because racism against BIPOC needs to change. This is about people demanding that they get treated fairly and equally to the dominant cultures in the US and I should say Canada as well. Canada isn’t much better in this regard, especially against Indigenous people’s... 

Rob from the rich? Donald Teunp supposedly paid $750 in taxes. That’s by far less.

plus, they over tax black neighborhoods land tax, they pay more than those in white areas in the States. I read that in an article, that a lot of Blacks talk about the Black tax... so if SJWs are trying to make life even for them, then I guess I can see how White People feel threatened. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I don’t see the Flames getting any of the big fish. Like years past it’s all talk and flirting but until they get up to dance we don’t have a partner in a deal. We all know BT is trying as hard as he can but Calgary isn’t the place UFA desire and it’s not a knock on the city, so much as, there’s just not enough culture there. I was there once and I really liked the Glenbow, but really what is there to do for wives in the spare time while they’re home and players are away. 

There are probably more things to do. My partner loves theatre and musicals, concerts and dining out like most modern wives. I am ignorant of everything Calgary has to offer as a cultural center. 

the team is on the cusp but it sounds like Hall might be favouriting Edmonton now, which why not? You’ve got McDick and Drai. 

I dunno. This management group talks a good game but we’ve only ever been able to sign C level UFA

well for what it’s worth the TSN teams seem to think Cgy is the band of favourite for Hall, plus he’s from Cgy so of all the names I’d say Hall is most probable...

second up is TJ which I think will be the end results of FA for Cgy:

Hall

TJ 

maybe Markstrom or Holtby but I think BT May pooch himself here if those two don’t sign as Tabs May sign else where before he realizes Holtby and Markstrom are not gonna sign here 

there will also be a major trade after that, as Gaudreau becomes very expendable, so it will be either a G or RW trade..hopefully RW 

Just some thoughts on what I think it would take to land any of the big names linked to the Flames;

Markstrom- I think it's 6x6. An NMC might be a sticking point too for Markstrom. I think he is the most likely target for the Flames to sign

Hall- I think it's unlikely, COL or BOS can give him a better chance to win. I think you have to be prepared to pay him 8.5-9

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I am a bigger fan of Josh Anderson than most on here, but I am glad we dodged that bullet, not only would it have cost us Mangiapane or Dube plus a pick, but Montreal just gave him a 7 x $5.5m contract. That might just be the worst contract in the NHL right now.

Yes, Josh Anderson just robed the Molson Bank.

There are worse contracts on the same team.

How about 35 yr old Weber with 6 x $7.86 remaining?

Or 33 yr old Price with 6 x $10.5 remaining?

Neither Weber or Price will play out their deals.

Doubt Anderson will either. 

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

I don't think Ruzicka is close to making the team, he's at least 1 year away for me.  Gawdin maybe but depend on whether or not he makes the team and unless they deal Ryan I'd lean towards no. 

I'm comfortable with the in house options plus I think the targets for the 4th line I have ahead of Reider are PK candidates too. I don't see value in brining back Reider just for PK and i think getting a forechecking 4th line provides more value overall. 

The problem is this year those fringe players with NHL experience are going to be more valuable than ever. The Flames have been VERY lucky when it comes to avoiding long term injuries, with a condensed schedule the risk of injuries goes up and the fill ins may be getting more time.  

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I don’t see the Flames getting any of the big fish. Like years past it’s all talk and flirting but until they get up to dance we don’t have a partner in a deal. We all know BT is trying as hard as he can but Calgary isn’t the place UFA desire and it’s not a knock on the city, so much as, there’s just not enough culture there. I was there once and I really liked the Glenbow, but really what is there to do for wives in the spare time while they’re home and players are away. 

There are probably more things to do. My partner loves theatre and musicals, concerts and dining out like most modern wives. I am ignorant of everything Calgary has to offer as a cultural center. 

the team is on the cusp but it sounds like Hall might be favouriting Edmonton now, which why not? You’ve got McDick and Drai. 

I dunno. This management group talks a good game but we’ve only ever been able to sign C level UFA

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The trades have been harder, where a guy has a NTC or M-NTC.

As far as UFA's who really knows.

Some of it comes down to US players wanting to stay in the US.

Other things like fit, expected ice time.

I doubt we were in on Tavares.

Right now, we have a top RD spot free.

Hall comes down to where he would play as well as what he thinks about a team.

I doubt he ever comes out and says no way for EDM.

Let's face it, he wants teams to think there is a big market.

Culture.

No idea.

CGY is a good place for skiers, I think.

I think the major reason alot players opt away from The Flames is that the players/agents/rest of the league know that BT isnt very generous with the NMCs which seems to be more of a bargaining tool/leverage point more than ever. 

Compared to Winnipeg I'm sure Calgary seems like a cultural Mecca to outsiders.

I think we are understating the value that Calgary brings to players. A lot of players just want a city that is a accessible and safe for their families. Calgary offers much of that as well as access to scenic mountain landscapes and world class skiing etc..Traffic in Calgary is nothing compared to LA or NY. I think Covid life will actually deter some players away from  some of the larger major cities tbh

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

it’s not about racism against white people, it’s about getting justice for the disparity that is created by systemic racism. And there’s is a reason for social justice warriors taking action as police should not be killing unarmed BIPOC. There’s a reason that there’s a committee for it in hockey as well, because racism against BIPOC needs to change. This is about people demanding that they get treated fairly and equally to the dominant cultures in the US and I should say Canada as well. Canada isn’t much better in this regard, especially against Indigenous people’s... 

Rob from the rich? Donald Teunp supposedly paid $750 in taxes. That’s by far less.

plus, they over tax black neighborhoods land tax, they pay more than those in white areas in the States. I read that in an article, that a lot of Blacks talk about the Black tax... so if SJWs are trying to make life even for them, then I guess I can see how White People feel threatened. 

Ya so point still stands.  Why would UFA choose places like Cali if they had a choice?  Calgary is attractive because it doesn't have to deal with that, rightly or wrongly.  Antifa doesn't roam the streets at night in Calgary.  Not yet at least.

Guess we will see what happens but flames won’t re sign Talbot before tomorrow. 

I wonder how deep talks got. If they got deep today that would signal to me the Flames don’t expect to land someone tomorrow. But could also be a situation were it’s a “here’s our best offer and circle back if you want”. Devils are rumored to want Talbot. 

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

plus, they over tax black neighborhoods land tax, they pay more than those in white areas in the States. I read that in an article, that a lot of Blacks talk about the Black tax...

Hog Wash If your going to make an outlandish generalized statement like that back it up with some facts. That statement is totally racist.

Can we please keep politics out of this? This website is one of the few places left where I can go and get into meaningless arguments about things like contracts and hockey trades without worrying about culture wars and what idiots are going to run the world after the next election.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya so point still stands.  Why would UFA choose places like Cali if they had a choice?  Calgary is attractive because it doesn't have to deal with that, rightly or wrongly.  Antifa doesn't roam the streets at night in Calgary.  Not yet at least.

Maybe they choose CA because;

-there is no snow or freezing temps

-beautiful weather for near 12 months a year

-beautiful beaches

-top end restaurants

-endless entertainment, shows, sports, concerts

-less taxes

-no Antifa in the hills within their gated communities

-CA is hip/ in for the young

What did you think of the 6 RHS BT is allowing to walk to FA tomorrow? Are they holding the stick in the wrong hand or what? I didn't see any LHS on the list.

11 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Hog Wash If your going to make an outlandish generalized statement like that back it up with some facts. That statement is totally racist.

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Guys, let's not drag this one any further.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Maybe they choose CA because;

-there is no snow or freezing temps

-beautiful weather for near 12 months a year

-beautiful beaches

-top end restaurants

-endless entertainment, shows, sports, concerts

-less taxes

-no Antifa in the hills within their gated communities

-CA is hip/ in for the young

Oh for sures.  Calgary can't offer that much but I was just wondering out loud if some of the negatives lately would push someone away from wanting to have their career there.  There's more to "culture" than nightlife and partying.  

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Oh for sures.  Calgary can't offer that much but I was just wondering out loud if some of the negatives lately would push someone away from wanting to have their career there.  There's more to "culture" than nightlife and partying.  

CA is hip, that is where the young want to be. Some stay including the Great One.

11 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

How is it racist? 

I can send you a podcast where an Black American talked about how he had to pay more taxes in run down black neighborhoods and then less in a wealthy non-black area. I don’t get how I am being racist? Give me a bit to go back and find the episode...He talked about the taxes black people pay due to racism. It’s also meant in blood as well. So how am I racist? I don’t know if I will be able to find the article I read as it was when Floyd was  murdered. Someone was talking about their experiences of Blacks in America and how they pay more in their areas. He wasn’t the only one who mentioned it. It was also in Nice White Parents on podcasts. They talk about how even though they generally pay higher taxes in America they get lower education. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/nice-white-parents/id1524080195

here is an article where a police chief was getting gunned down by his own officers because he was black

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/06/11/floyd-killing-police-must-change-former-detroit-chief-column/5341884002/?fbclid=IwAR1v2nOScYP48UjzQ4gnlTNdFaZxWFlocHwWSsI6-mZSgBnRKopcvcEFcCs

this article talks about the inherent black tax Blacks in America pay due to racism, that it’s just in being as well. So it’s systemic, it’s psychological and it is in America. 

https://diverseeducation.com/article/182837/

there is also a podcast called 1619 where a black farmer had a great crop one year. The American farmers rely on grants or loans from banks in order to buy seed and equipment. Many farmers rely on it, but the next year the banks delayed the loan approval for a few months later, thus making it impossible for him to pay back the loan due to the fact he was so far behind in the season. He had to foreclose and white farmers bought his land for cheap.

to tell me I outlandish is wrong....

You are probably 100% correct man, but this is not the stage for that, let it go.

Somehow you got baited into politics, and one thing led to another, but this is hockey chat.

You have good opinions on hockey, lets hear them. 

Here my ideal scenario for tomorrow:

1.Sign Markstrom 5 x $5.5m

2.Sign Hall 7 x $7

3.Sign Vatanen 4 x $5

4.Sign Pitlick 3 x $1.5

Trade Gaudreau and Ryan to Colorado for Tyson Jost, Nikita Zadorov and a pick or prospect.

Hall-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane

Dube-Bennett-Jost

Lucic-Gawdin-Pitlick

Giordano-Vatanen

Hanifin-Andersson

Valimaki-Zadarov

Markstrom

Rittich

I didn't check the cap, I am probably over, but hey the team looks great.

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

2.Sign Hall 7 x $7

3.Sign Vatanen 4 x $5

4.Sign Pitlick 3 x $1.5

Trade Gaudreau and Ryan to Colorado for Tyson Jost, Nikita Zadorov and a pick or prospect.

Hall-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane

Dube-Bennett-Jost

Lucic-Gawdin-Pitlick

Giordano-Vatanen

Hanifin-Andersson

Valimaki-Zadarov

Markstrom

Rittich

I didn't check the cap, I am probably over, but hey the team looks great.

That leaves you with $7.7 to resign 4 RFA's, Jost, Zadarov, Mang and Kylington. Maybe doable, but you left out Johnny. :(

17 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

2.Sign Hall 7 x $7

3.Sign Vatanen 4 x $5

4.Sign Pitlick 3 x $1.5

Any word on OEL trade?  I think if Van doesn't do it by noon tomorrow that they would immediately use that money to re-sign Markstrom.  Hopefully the Canucks screw it up and end up with neither.

19 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Any word on OEL trade?  I think if Van doesn't do it by noon tomorrow that they would immediately use that money to re-sign Markstrom.  Hopefully the Canucks screw it up and end up with neither.

Canucks are still working on it but it’s a bit of a staring contest with each side waiting to blink. Word is they are close but at a bit of a stalemate around what prospect the Canucks should put on the deal. 
Markstrom apparently is as much about expansion draft protection and security as it is dollars. He doesn’t want to commit long term only to be exposed in the expansion draft and Canucks don’t want to lose Demko. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Canucks are still working on it but it’s a bit of a staring contest with each side waiting to blink. 
Markstrom apparently is as much about expansion draft protection and security as it is dollars. He doesn’t want to commit long term only to be exposed in the expansion draft and Canucks don’t want to lose Demko. 

So would we be okay giving Markstrom a NMC?

Archived