UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

if I combine some of the rumors/thoughts etc it seems like plan A is:

1. Sign Markstrom

2. sign Hall

3. Trade Gaudreau to address the D core. 

If steps 1 or 2 fall apart, then plan B becomes looking at trading for Keumper or some other name and looking to FA to fix the D or maybe you bring back a Brodie.

Be interesting to see how it all comes together or how they pivot if 1 or 2 don't work out, or if there is a wildcard scenario in there like some have hinted. 

It sounds like since Armstrong took over in Arizona, that they aren't super keen on moving Kuemper now.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it was Pinder who thought Troy Stetcher as an interesting 3rd pair. I’d prefer to get heavier and harder to play, but he’s been decent in Van as a third pair guy. 

what other D are out there and are there any with some bite and grit that can add to our 3rd pair to play defensive hockey? 

4 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Do you think CBJ goes for that deal tho?

I'm not opposed to it ..but if you can lock up a legit #1 for 4-5 years.. I think you gotta do it.

Markstrom is that..  I admit i worry about goalies coming out of a smothering D team.. look how Bob got exposed this year.

Markstrom played behind a tire fire ..and was phenomenal

Otherwise ..I'm totally ok with the tandem of Rittich and Talbot again... I do believe that is plan B

I do think CBJ would consider it because they just got rid of Wennberg at C. Not sure if they have a prospect ready to jump in at C but Ryan's versatility, price tag (lower than Wennberg), and contract (expires after this season) and the fact that he doesn't hurt your team at all I think would be a great plug-in for CBJ. 

And for those of you that don't like Korpi, he's an asset that can be used in another transaction. Sure, there's a lot of goalies available, but he's young (26), comes cheap for 2 more seasons, and simultaneously eliminates Ryan's salary off our books. I imagine Korpi would be more attractive as part of a bigger package to some teams, or, we take a chance on a 26 year old goalie in tandem with Rittich and spend the money saved by avoiding the UFA Goalie market on D and RW.  

This is a pretty exciting offseason. I'm looking forward to how this all shakes out! :)

17 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think it was Pinder who thought Troy Stetcher as an interesting 3rd pair. I’d prefer to get heavier and harder to play, but he’s been decent in Van as a third pair guy. 

what other D are out there and are there any with some bite and grit that can add to our 3rd pair to play defensive hockey? 

Via FA there really isn't. 

Tanev is there but he's more of a top 4 guy and not a contract i'd entertain. 

Gudas but he sounds like he's lined to get paid too

the depth options that fit that category and are out there just unfortunately aren't very good: Jack Johnson, Bogosian, Luke Schenn come to mind. 

There are some decent 3rd pairing options in Stetcher, Benning and Trevor Van Riemsdyk. I think all 3 are solid in their own zone but they won't bring much bite. 

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Why didn't sign Reider yet?  Shouldn't be expensive right?  1-year $1-mil.  No brainer.

For me it's not a no brainer. He fit in and played better than I thought but I also think the Flames need to have a 4th line that can forecheck and be aggressive. Reider is awesome in counter attack but I think the Flames lack of players that can get in and establish a forecheck is a reason why they can't crack the ceiling in the playoffs.

not suggesting that a 4th line player is going to move the needle but that fast and aggressive depth sure comes in handy. 

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

For me it's not a no brainer. He fit in and played better than I thought but I also think the Flames need to have a 4th line that can forecheck and be aggressive. Reider is awesome in counter attack but I think the Flames lack of players that can get in and establish a forecheck is a reason why they can't crack the ceiling in the playoffs.

not suggesting that a 4th line player is going to move the needle but that fast and aggressive depth sure comes in handy. 

Considering we just dumped Janko, we need to make sure we replace Janko's PK.  Don't want to overplay Backlund and Lindholm on the PK.  We need them for 5on5 and PP.  

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I just don’t like Lindholm on the first anymore. I feel like it’s wasting his abilities. He needs to be with Tkachuk. He’s too quiet on Monahan’s line. For him, being quiet means he’s not doing enough.

Hey I agree, in an ideal world Lindholm on line 2 RW with Bennett at C and Tachuck on LW would be amazing...move Backlund back to line 3 where he belongs Manji on LW and ??? RW I have a few FA ideas...

then we could move Lucic to line 4, looks like Ryan is staying with Janko not being qualified so another RW??

all of which is super fine, bottom 6 is generally more a matter of finding the right mix, except it leaves a huge and I do mean huge hole on the first line RW...I guess you could cover it off with Toffoil but as mentioned I’d rather keep Lindholm there as he clicks with Monny and a Johnny...or maybe Hall, we don’t know...that’s where I see Strome fitting in well on the 2nd RW, he can move up or slide over to Ctr 

Gaudreau/Monahan(Lindholm Strome)/Lindholm (Strome)

Tachuck/ Bennett (Lindholm or Strome)/Lindholm (Strome) 

those are some pretty crazy and flexible or interchangeable parts on your top two lines.  I’m not so worried about Strome needing Perrian (sp?), I think he’ll be just fine, it was more an issue on the oilers, he just didn’t seem to fit there but here he has lots of options...

with doing that bit opens options on the bottom 6, and less need to plug holes in FA cause you have Backlund at Ctr on the 3rd line with Manji on RW (though he’s a natural LW and I’d rather him be there, he’s done well at RW) so:

Lucic/Backlund/Manji 

seems like a pretty solid enough top 3 lines? 

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Considering we just dumped Janko, we need to make sure we replace Janko's PK.  Don't want to overplay Backlund and Lindholm on the PK.  We need them for 5on5 and PP.  

I think they have it. Ryan still here, get Mangiapange and Bennett involved plus whoever the player is they bring in could likely be a candidate as well. 

I'm also believer PK is more about scheme than player anyway. I'd even like to see Dube used. It's not really a concern of mine. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I think they have it. Ryan still here, get Mangiapange and Bennett involved plus whoever the player is they bring in could likely be a candidate as well. 

I'm also believer PK is more about scheme than player anyway. I'd even like to see Dube used. It's not really a concern of mine. 

For sures Ryan.  Probably go with Ryan-Reider pair.  Then Bennett-Dube pair.  Emergency pair will be Backlund-Lindholm but try not to tire out Backlund-Lindholm.  And add Mangiapane to that if he's top6.

Maybe Gawdin or Ruzicka can PK?  

8 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Hey I agree, in an ideal world Lindholm on line 2 RW with Bennett at C and Tachuck on LW would be amazing...move Backlund back to line 3 where he belongs Manji on LW and ??? RW I have a few FA ideas...

then we could move Lucic to line 4, looks like Ryan is staying with Janko not being qualified so another RW??

all of which is super fine, bottom 6 is generally more a matter of finding the right mix, except it leaves a huge and I do mean huge hole on the first line RW...I guess you could cover it off with Toffoil but as mentioned I’d rather keep Lindholm there as he clicks with Monny and a Johnny...or maybe Hall, we don’t know...that’s where I see Strome fitting in well on the 2nd RW, he can move up or slide over to Ctr 

Gaudreau/Monahan(Lindholm Strome)/Lindholm (Strome)

Tachuck/ Bennett (Lindholm or Strome)/Lindholm (Strome) 

those are some pretty crazy and flexible or interchangeable parts on your top two lines.  I’m not so worried about Strome needing Perrian (sp?), I think he’ll be just fine, it was more an issue on the oilers, he just didn’t seem to fit there but here he has lots of options...

with doing that bit opens options on the bottom 6, and less need to plug holes in FA cause you have Backlund at Ctr on the 3rd line with Manji on RW (though he’s a natural LW and I’d rather him be there, he’s done well at RW) so:

Lucic/Backlund/Manji 

seems like a pretty solid enough top 3 lines? 

if you went that route you could go:

Gaudreau, Monahan, Dube

Tkachuk, Bennett, Lindholm

Lucic, Backlund, Mangiapane 

that is if they keep to the team as is...

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

For sures Ryan.  Probably go with Ryan-Reider pair.  Then Bennett-Dube pair.  Emergency pair will be Backlund-Lindholm but try not to tire out Backlund-Lindholm.  And add Mangiapane to that if he's top6.

Maybe Gawdin or Ruzicka can PK?  

I don't think Ruzicka is close to making the team, he's at least 1 year away for me.  Gawdin maybe but depend on whether or not he makes the team and unless they deal Ryan I'd lean towards no. 

I'm comfortable with the in house options plus I think the targets for the 4th line I have ahead of Reider are PK candidates too. I don't see value in brining back Reider just for PK and i think getting a forechecking 4th line provides more value overall. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't think Ruzicka is close to making the team, he's at least 1 year away for me.  Gawdin maybe but depend on whether or not he makes the team and unless they deal Ryan I'd lean towards no. 

I'm comfortable with the in house options plus I think the targets for the 4th line I have ahead of Reider are PK candidates too. I don't see value in brining back Reider just for PK and i think getting a forechecking 4th line provides more value overall. 

Agree about Ruzicka.

No pro experience yet.

Gawdin was supposedly ready this summer, but was "unfit" at the end of camp.

Believe it was high-ankle issue, putting him out for a few weeks.

Unless we bring in a couple of depth RW or C, I suspect he will be on the team this year out of camp.

49 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Why didn't sign Reider yet?  Shouldn't be expensive right?  1-year $1-mil.  No brainer.

I have interest in bringing him back, but I'd like to see how things shape up after the opening few days.  I think the bargain barrel this year will be the best its ever been so I'd like to see whats left once the big names fall.

16 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

if you went that route you could go:

Gaudreau, Monahan, Dube

Tkachuk, Bennett, Lindholm

Lucic, Backlund, Mangiapane 

that is if they keep to the team as is...

that’s kinda interesting with a an as is idea but, and I’m only ask cause I didn’t know but wouldn’t Manji be better on the first line and Dube on the 3rd? 

just asking cause I’m not sure 

21 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I am beginning to think we aren’t going to see much change other than filling the holes. 

UFA and draft day are the dates that BT has used in the past.

This year the draft was not used.

Consider that the NHL season doesn't start until January 1st, there is a lot of time for trades.

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

I have interest in bringing him back, but I'd like to see how things shape up after the opening few days.  I think the bargain barrel this year will be the best its ever been so I'd like to see whats left once the big names fall.

Very true man.  There should be lots of good UFAs remaining by camp we can scoop up for cheap.

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I am beginning to think we aren’t going to see much change other than filling the holes. 

You could be right, but there is plenty of chatter around the league and so little action.  There is a little more high end stuff on the open market this year, once the free stuff is gone the trade market might pick up, but given the activity that has taken place we should be relieved we've done little so far.

I don’t see the Flames getting any of the big fish. Like years past it’s all talk and flirting but until they get up to dance we don’t have a partner in a deal. We all know BT is trying as hard as he can but Calgary isn’t the place UFA desire and it’s not a knock on the city, so much as, there’s just not enough culture there. I was there once and I really liked the Glenbow, but really what is there to do for wives in the spare time while they’re home and players are away. 

There are probably more things to do. My partner loves theatre and musicals, concerts and dining out like most modern wives. I am ignorant of everything Calgary has to offer as a cultural center. 

the team is on the cusp but it sounds like Hall might be favouriting Edmonton now, which why not? You’ve got McDick and Drai. 

I dunno. This management group talks a good game but we’ve only ever been able to sign C level UFA

37 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I don’t see the Flames getting any of the big fish. Like years past it’s all talk and flirting but until they get up to dance we don’t have a partner in a deal. We all know BT is trying as hard as he can but Calgary isn’t the place UFA desire and it’s not a knock on the city, so much as, there’s just not enough culture there. I was there once and I really liked the Glenbow, but really what is there to do for wives in the spare time while they’re home and players are away. 

There are probably more things to do. My partner loves theatre and musicals, concerts and dining out like most modern wives. I am ignorant of everything Calgary has to offer as a cultural center. 

the team is on the cusp but it sounds like Hall might be favouriting Edmonton now, which why not? You’ve got McDick and Drai. 

I dunno. This management group talks a good game but we’ve only ever been able to sign C level UFA

The trades have been harder, where a guy has a NTC or M-NTC.

As far as UFA's who really knows.

Some of it comes down to US players wanting to stay in the US.

Other things like fit, expected ice time.

I doubt we were in on Tavares.

Right now, we have a top RD spot free.

Hall comes down to where he would play as well as what he thinks about a team.

I doubt he ever comes out and says no way for EDM.

Let's face it, he wants teams to think there is a big market.

Culture.

No idea.

CGY is a good place for skiers, I think.

I am a bigger fan of Josh Anderson than most on here, but I am glad we dodged that bullet, not only would it have cost us Mangiapane or Dube plus a pick, but Montreal just gave him a 7 x $5.5m contract. That might just be the worst contract in the NHL right now.

33 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I wonder if the US political landscape and social unrests have changed any of this in terms of Calgary being a desired place to play/work/live.

I would assume the US West Coast has suddenly become an undesirable place to live.  Bankrupt States looking to rob from the rich.  Reduced police.  Racism against White men.  Post-Modernist SWJ paradise,  Etc, etc.  California exodus is a thing now.

New York is getting bad too.  So not that Calgary has a lot to offer but it's what it doesn't have that ironically makes it attractive.

24 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I am a bigger fan of Josh Anderson than most on here, but I am glad we dodged that bullet, not only would it have cost us Mangiapane or Dube plus a pick, but Montreal just gave him a 7 x $5.5m contract. That might just be the worst contract in the NHL right now.

When you think given the economic climate of the league that GM's might want to be smarter with the money.

nhl GIF by SB Nation

Archived