Ongoing Coach/GM Hiring-Firing Thread

sak22

It's funny there hasn't been much word on other candidates for the Jets. This was their guy. There's at least 5 names floating around Detroit. Friedman was on one web blog or other saying he called 1 of Detroit's candidates and dude wouldn't talk to him, saying he wouldn't get the job if he talks. Terrified of Stevie's code of silence.lol

There are solid candidates out there, and Chevy's very well-respected in the hockey community. I'm sure he'll come up with a solid Plan B.

But it is quite odd that this was like an "all-in" thing with no discussion of other potential candidates. It's kinda weird. I'd have to assume Trotz turned down an extremely lucrative offer. Plus a lifetime supply of beer.lol

Maybe Trotz can see this group isn't a Cup contending roster and so he doesn't want to waste his time.  This especially with Scheifele and PLD likely gone this summer.  Maybe the Jets do choose to blow it up and rebuild which is not a bad idea if next year's draft class is generational.  Yes, they would suddenly become the most interesting team going into the summer.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Maybe Trotz can see this group isn't a Cup contending roster and so he doesn't want to waste his time.  This especially with Scheifele and PLD likely gone this summer.  Maybe the Jets do choose to blow it up and rebuild which is not a bad idea if next year's draft class is generational.  Yes, they would suddenly become the most interesting team going into the summer.

You are reading too much into it I think. Kevin Cheveldayoff has very deep roots in hockey. He has for a very long time.

He'll have a Plan B, it's just gotten zero press on what it is. I'm sure we'll hear soon. Now Kev, are you a corvette or a chevette? Sorry, old joke.lol

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

You are reading too much into it I think. Kevin Cheveldayoff has very deep roots in hockey. He has for a very long time.

He'll have a Plan B, it's just gotten zero press on what it is. I'm sure we'll hear soon. Now Kev, are you a corvette or a chevette? Sorry, old joke.lol

Rebuild is not necessarily a bad PlanB

Just now, The_People1 said:

Rebuild is not necessarily a bad PlanB

They've never really recovered from losing big Buff, first and foremost, imo. He was the glue that shamed Kane and no doubt would've kept Scheifele a bit fearful. Wheeler would be a great player to rescue. FF in jets land would know best.

He has great insights on the org and public opinion. For me, it seems it's gotten more toxic the longer Byfuglien's been away. Trouba leaves etc. They used to be pretty fearsome on D. Now it's Morrissey and Pionk, and ain't nobody a-scared of that.

As cross mentioned before, world-class Hellebuyck has hidden much of the disaster at D.

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

They've never really recovered from losing big Buff, first and foremost, imo. He was the glue that shamed Kane and no doubt would've kept Scheifele a bit fearful. Wheeler would be a great player to rescue. FF in jets land would know best.

He has great insights on the org and public opinion. For me, it seems it's gotten more toxic the longer Byfuglien's been away. Trouba leaves etc. They used to be pretty fearsome on D. Now it's Morrissey and Pionk, and ain't nobody a-scared of that.

As cross mentioned before, world-class Hellebuyck has hidden much of the disaster at D.

If they go full rebuild, then they have lots of pieces to accelerate it.  PLD, Connor, Ehlers, and even Scheifele could get a good haul of picks and prospects.  No different from us if we decide to move Tkachuk for NJ's 2OA+.  We could turn this thing around in 3 years with new core players.  

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

If they go full rebuild, then they have lots of pieces to accelerate it.  PLD, Connor, Ehlers, and even Scheifele could get a good haul of picks and prospects.  No different from us if we decide to move Tkachuk for NJ's 2OA+.  We could turn this thing around in 3 years with new core players.  

This is a dicey draft. Rumours floating NJ could do 2OA and Zacha-ish for DeBrincat. NJ's actually looking pretty scary imo. Solid solid down the middle. Fix their G or Blackwood finds himself, that's a solid roster.

21 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

This is a dicey draft. Rumours floating NJ could do 2OA and Zacha-ish for DeBrincat. NJ's actually looking pretty scary imo. Solid solid down the middle. Fix their G or Blackwood finds himself, that's a solid roster.

I want to do Tkachuk for 2OA+Holtz+Zacha

It doesn't sound like the Jets have any appetite to rebuild, they want to win. Sounds like it was a big part of their pitch to Trotz and a part that really impressed he, they are committed to winning. 

Jets just have some interesting decision to make. Their roster has holes and they have a few key players starting to talk about their futures. Still a very talented club, especially at forward, and an all star goalie so a strip down rebuild doesn't really appear to make much sense to me. I just thikn they will be interesting to watch because of the player dynamics and some kind of hinting they are tired of losing. Trotz would have been a big way to move the needle. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It doesn't sound like the Jets have any appetite to rebuild, they want to win. Sounds like it was a big part of their pitch to Trotz and a part that really impressed he, they are committed to winning. 

Jets just have some interesting decision to make. Their roster has holes and they have a few key players starting to talk about their futures. Still a very talented club, especially at forward, and an all star goalie so a strip down rebuild doesn't really appear to make much sense to me. I just thikn they will be interesting to watch because of the player dynamics and some kind of hinting they are tired of losing. Trotz would have been a big way to move the needle. 

I've always thought they had a great roster. The Byfuglien incident, I believe, was a huge blow. All of the fear in that team went away when he did.

17 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I've always thought they had a great roster. The Byfuglien incident, I believe, was a huge blow. All of the fear in that team went away when he did.

Yup and I mean any team who has a top pairing dman just walk away from the team is going to hurt, no question. Hard to have depth to recover from that. 

I'm a little surprised they haven't been able to bring in some more solid D pieces but i'm sure part of that is they are Winnipeg as I'd presume it's not easy to get FA to come there. 

Forwards are still very good, Perfetti is going to be great I believe and they still draft and develop well. Short of landing Bedard next year i'm not sure a rebuild does much for them. 

I wonder if Trotz taking a year off means that we will be looking at him after Sutter's contract ends.  We have the pieces that could make his style match up with Sutter's.  Just thinking out loud.  I don't want to have anything to do with Muller at that point.

On 6/24/2022 at 4:39 PM, cross16 said:

Jets are in a weird spot.  Their core guys are looking around like, don't want to be there if the team is rebuilding... but at the same time, GM is saying they are not rebuilding.  Team wants to win now but the players want to leave because the team is not wanting to win now?    

Figured we need a list from the carousel:

Boston Bruins - Jim Montgomery

Chicago Black Hawks - Luke Richardson

Dallas Stars - Peter DeBoer

Detroit Red Wings - Derek Lalonde (yay!!)

Edmonton Oilers - Jay Woodcroft

Florida Panthers - Paul Maurice

NYI - Lane Lambert

Philadelphia Flyers - John Tortorella

San Jose Sharks - To Be Announced

Vegas Golden Knights - Bruce Cassidy

Winnipeg Jets - Rick Bowness

How crazy is that? 1/3rd of the league.

I think all of these are all pretty good hires.

There are rumours swirling about Cassidy's time in Boston so potentially something to keep an eye on.