Ongoing Coach/GM Hiring-Firing Thread

sak22

And another one down.  I think when a decision comes 3-4 weeks after elimination there are probably internal issues between the coach and players.  Timing worked out for them as the dominos haven't started to fall yet.

A good coach i think but lots of rumblings that several players don't like him. That follows Cassidy back to his Capital days too. 

Be interesting to see if he gets a look elsewhere. Boston has been very successful in multiple areas under his watch. 

Interesting fit. Cassidy did a lot of good in Boston and consistently had them as a very good 5 on 5 team, especially defending and transitioning which is where Vegas struggled this year. 

But be interested to see how Cassidy does when he doesn't have the best line in hockey to play 25-30% of the time. 

but the fit makes sense. 

On 5/16/2022 at 2:01 PM, cross16 said:

Sounds like Derek Lalonde, Tampa assistant, is coming up a lot in connection to Detroit?

Lightning have a pretty strong staff so i'm wondering if that's the route Stevie Y goes.

Starting to look a lot like it. Certainly my bet and I think most D fans. Yzerman hired him in Tampa, also hired Cooper.

Excellent resume like Cooper, USHL, ECHL, AHL. Very D & neutral zone "play the right way" approach. And very relaxed and poised. Should be a great fit. Yzerman will work with him to find the right assistants too. Man I'm glad he came back home, never should have left. No leaks out of Detroit, ever. BT is good at keeping things really quiet also. This is the way.

That's going to be a great hire for Detroit. He'll get a big welcome in the D.

A good coach to grow with a young team. Blashill was always a placeholder and a little beyond his element.

And finally, no one is stealing all of Detroit's coaching staff.lol

In Yzerplan we trust.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Interesting.  I wonder if this would attract Gaudreau to go there even more or makes him stay away?

Sutter may be Mr. Subtle when it comes to a good play having been made.

Torts may be the opposite.

Both could get top play out of JH, but I think Torts rubs people wrong.

I don't think he would attract a playet like JH.

He may cause him not to want to go.

On 6/16/2022 at 8:40 PM, The_People1 said:

Interesting.  I wonder if this would attract Gaudreau to go there even more or makes him stay away?

I don't think it changes anything. Really the only attraction to going to Philly is that is it Philly and Kevin Hayes is there. They are not a better team, don't really look to have a better future and Gaudreau (from everything i've heard) loves playing for Sutter. 

If he goes to Philly (which i think is unlikely anyway given how much $ they have to clear in order to fit him) I think it's because he always wanted to go there. The fit isn't great IMO. 

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Chicago saying report of hiring Huska is inaccurate, still interviewing candidates.

Peter DeBoer sounds on the verge of being named Dallas Stars head coach. That's a solid hire.

Weekes broke the story.

Funny how these guys get it so wrong.

PD another victim of the Satoshi Nakamoto show called Vegas.

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This is a bit of surprise for me. Not so much that Brunette is out (there were some suggestions out there he didn't like/want the head coach job) but going to Maurice is interesting. 

I narrowly escaped posting this by about 10 seconds.lol

I agree, I was surprised also. Has Maurice coached a high-end O before? He's all about D and structure to me.

Not saying Fla can't use some of that, but they're not really built that way.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

I narrowly escaped posting this by about 10 seconds.lol

I agree, I was surprised also. Has Maurice coached a high-end O before? He's all about D and structure to me.

Not saying Fla can't use some of that, but they're not really built that way.

Ya that was his MO when he coached the Canes but the Jets were the opposite, he could never figure out how to get that team to play d. Year after year they were awful defensively and Helleybuyk saved them. 

So his tenure with the Jets matches how the Panthers are built I just thought they'd want someone with more success getting teams to buy in defensively. 

18 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Ya that was his MO when he coached the Canes but the Jets were the opposite, he could never figure out how to get that team to play d. Year after year they were awful defensively and Helleybuyk saved them. 

So his tenure with the Jets matches how the Panthers are built I just thought they'd want someone with more success getting teams to buy in defensively. 

True. They were doing okay until Buff and Trouba pulled the pin. Now they have big trouble on D, they couldn't make up for those losses. Their D is still quite a mess. It'll be interesting if Trotz gets in there and can sort out their fairly bad looking D roster.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

True. They were doing okay until Buff and Trouba pulled the pin. Now they have big trouble on D, they couldn't make up for those losses. Their D is still quite a mess. It'll be interesting if Trotz gets in there and can sort out their fairly bad looking D roster.

A good coach can add structure, but can't make up for personnel.  EDM is a good example of how you can only improve D based on who you have.  FLA at least has a stud D.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

A good coach can add structure, but can't make up for personnel.  EDM is a good example of how you can only improve D based on who you have.  FLA at least has a stud D.

Offensively yes but Ekblad is even pretty sub par in his own zone. Florida's d is definitely a type, they move the puck well, they can transition and play fast but all of them struggle defending in their own zone. Big reason why Tampa dispatched them so quickly, they limited their transition game and once on their heels Tampa feasted. 

Maurice had the Jets playing a similar style so I get the fit, i'm just not sure it's how Florida is going to get better. They need to be able to defend. 

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Why does hiring a female GM mean Dach for Dube makes sense?

Maybe that's a fair deal anyway.

Is Dach a misogynistic kid?  LOL.

Just asking.

Not that I'm aware of... but Dillon Dube was on the 2018 IIHF WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP team, so if that's how this happens, I can't see him being the right piece. In any case, that's just silly, and it seems like she knows her hockey. So good for the Blackhawks, and good for her! 

Love.

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

Not that I'm aware of... but Dillon Dube was on the 2018 IIHF WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP team, so if that's how this happens, I can't see him being the right piece. In any case, that's just silly, and it seems like she knows her hockey. So good for the Blackhawks, and good for her! 

Love.

You will note I was questioning why hiring her would make any difference.  I got no issues with it.

I believe that the players involved were from the OHL, not WHL.

At the time, I noted that it likely didn't include Dube.

2 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

You will note I was questioning why hiring her would make any difference.  I got no issues with it.

I believe that the players involved were from the OHL, not WHL.

At the time, I noted that it likely didn't include Dube.

We shall see I guess.  Chicago's organization needed a change of image... insert Woman.  So yea, but AGM so probably isn't going to have final say in trades.

Interesting for the Jets as it sounds like they were the only ones Trotz was actually considering. I think he could have got them back into the playoffs. 

See what Plan B is, but i'm not sure there is a Plan B for them as strong as Trotz. Jets just potentially became one of the most interesting teams of the off season. 

• Like 1