Ongoing Coach/GM Hiring-Firing Thread

sak22

Just thought I'd throw in a thread to discuss organizational changes in the league, with Arizona and Chayka parting ways another job looks to be opening in Florida

Can't be viewed as a surprise, but doesn't look to be a fun one with the team looking to cut salary with the biggest likely being immovable, they do have 2 contracts that I'm sure 30 teams would love to take on and they do have a 12.5% chance of #1.  Such a disaster of an organization that actually was a pretty good initial expansion run

Tallon seems to have a good eye for talent but just lacks the management side of the business. Made mistakes in Chicago with RFAs and then gave out some really questionable deals in Florida. That Bobrovsky deal is really going to sting the Panthers for a long time and was a mistake the second it was signed. Although i do find it interesting that the owner oks giving out that but contract and hiring a expensive coach in Quenville and now wants to cut money. 

I would love to see Conroy get a crack at being FLA's GM. I think it's the perfect spot for a first time manager, there's talent there and it's a low pressure market. 

With the reports that FLA is looking to cut cost across the board, he could be a fit too, I can't imagine Conroy demanding as much as a guy like Shero

• 2 weeks later...

Todd Reirden out in Washington.  Losing 2 straight 1st rounds following strong regular seasons after winning a cup will do that I guess.  Not a good look getting ousted in 5 by the coach they let walk either, I expect a big name going there.

On 8/9/2020 at 9:12 AM, Thebrewcrew said:

I would love to see Conroy get a crack at being FLA's GM. I think it's the perfect spot for a first time manager, there's talent there and it's a low pressure market. 

With the reports that FLA is looking to cut cost across the board, he could be a fit too, I can't imagine Conroy demanding as much as a guy like Shero

I would love to see Conroy get a crack at being our GM

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, sak22 said:

A scouting guy hired to GM a broke team with next to no high picks for the next 2 years.  I expect they are going hard for picks to rebuild.

I didn't realize it until the last 2-3 days but the Coyotes are a real mess. No picks next 2 years, 2 bad contracts in OEL and Nick Schmaltz and only have the 11th best farm system accoridng to Corey Pronman of the Athletic (for reference the Flames are 12). They also only have 1 player on their current blueline under the age of 26....

Yikes. Really mortgaged their future for 1 trip to the playoffs. That franchise just cannot get it together. No wonder they want to fire sell.

18 hours ago, sak22 said:

A scouting guy hired to GM a broke team with next to no high picks for the next 2 years.  I expect they are going hard for picks to rebuild.

I kind of wonder if they're just going hard to avoid a 2nd bankruptcy.  Haven't followed their finances but it ain't hockey central.   If you have no revenue you'll end up with a team that looks kinda like theirs, and a GM on the cheap

5 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I kind of wonder if they're just going hard to avoid a 2nd bankruptcy.  Haven't followed their finances but it ain't hockey central.   If you have no revenue you'll end up with a team that looks kinda like theirs, and a GM on the cheap

Honestly can't think of a team that's gone through as big of a swing in momentum as this team.  2019 started turning the corner, new owner that actually seemed determined to change the fortunes, acquired a big name player in Hall and were near the top of the division at the end of 2019.  2020 the team struggles without Kuemper falls out of the playoffs, is in a tough spot to make it once the stoppage happened, team gets caught breaking scouting rules, GM quits, team wins the play in only to be completely embarrassed in the first round, has to forfeit a first and 2nd due to the violations, and Hall looks determined to walk away.  I didn't think Chayka was that bad, he inherited a pile of Satoshi Nakamoto, but in leaving he left a truckload of Satoshi Nakamoto

• 4 months later...

Not a big Jim Rutherford fan and think is is one of the more overrated execs out there but I do hope all is well. Always feels a little ominous when someone resigns so suddenly so really hope all is ok with him and family. 

Wonder if you'll see Conroy's name come up in the search. 

Yeah, he's put all his eggs in the Crosby-Malkin basket and continued to do so.  Only a 2nd, 5th, and 3 7ths this year will definitely be unappealing to anyone from the scouting side to take the job.  Only 1 first rounder the past 6 drafts, pretty low prospect ranking.  A decision may need to be made on Malkin in the near future and Crosby heading in the twilight years, though still elite and will likely be for a few more years.  Not as undesirable as some jobs, but could be heading in an ugly direction sooner than later.

51 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Yeah, he's put all his eggs in the Crosby-Malkin basket and continued to do so.  Only a 2nd, 5th, and 3 7ths this year will definitely be unappealing to anyone from the scouting side to take the job.  Only 1 first rounder the past 6 drafts, pretty low prospect ranking.  A decision may need to be made on Malkin in the near future and Crosby heading in the twilight years, though still elite and will likely be for a few more years.  Not as undesirable as some jobs, but could be heading in an ugly direction sooner than later.

Crosby and Malkin were worth what they signed for.

Malkin is near the end of the contract but still there.

Crosby was a 12 year deal, which is costing $9m for this and next year, followed by a deep dive to $3m.

JR didn't sign those deals.

He's better known for Jack Johnson, or the Reaves trade.

And the host of bad decisions along the way.

That Pittsburgh job will be tough.

I'd argue that no team in the league is in Win-Now mode more than the Pens. They've had 1st round selection since 2014. They've picked very few times and as a result the cupboard is thin. Of course, that's the trade-off for b2b cups and 3 in 8 years. 

That being said, I think their window is closed and they need to have some hard conversations regarding some cornerstone pieces.

Tough job for the new GM

• 3 months later...

The timing of this is shocking and it's going to lead to a lot of questions but if you strip that away this isn't as shocking as it seems. While the Rangers are in a good place moving forward most of the moves that have been made to put them there they got really lucky on and didn't actually require good management. 

They lucked out into Lafreniere

Lucked out into Kakko

Panarin chose the bright lights in FA

Fox only wanted to play there. 

Outside of that what's the management done to put them in a good spot? Not suggesting they've been poor, nor do I think they should have been fired, but I also wouldn't say they've done a great job. 

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

The timing of this is shocking and it's going to lead to a lot of questions but if you strip that away this isn't as shocking as it seems. While the Rangers are in a good place moving forward most of the moves that have been made to put them there they got really lucky on and didn't actually require good management. 

They lucked out into Lafreniere

Lucked out into Kakko

Panarin chose the bright lights in FA

Fox only wanted to play there. 

Outside of that what's the management done to put them in a good spot? Not suggesting they've been poor, nor do I think they should have been fired, but I also wouldn't say they've done a great job. 

Did JD/Gorton bring in Zibanejad?  That was a nice win for them. 

Reclamation project Ryan Strome was also a huge success.

They have also transitioned from Lundqvist to two pretty good young goaltenders which I wish we could do.

I guess their biggest mistake is extending Chris Kreider... but they didn't know they would draft Lafreniere.  Now they have 2 LWs signed long term with NMC and a rising star without a place to play in the top 6.

Overall though, the Rangers are trending in the right direction.  

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

They have also transitioned from Lundqvist to two pretty good young goaltenders which I wish we could do.

Overall, the Rangers are trending in the right direction.  

Funny Gorton was interim GM for the Bruins when they drafted Kessel, Lucic and Marchand, traded Raycroft for Rask and signed Savard and Chara and was canned the next year while PetChia  rode that out to a Stanley Cup.  Will see if he is the bridesmaid again.  I find the JD firing odd, he was only hired 2 years, might be a case of owner wanting to fire GM but POHO not wanting to so can both.  Word I've heard is Dolan wants Mess to do the job, Dolan is also an idiot who has completely destroyed the Knicks.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I guess their biggest mistake is extending Chris Kreider... but they didn't know they would draft Lafreniere.  Now they have 2 LWs signed long term with NMC and a rising star without a place to play in the top 6.

Overall though, the Rangers are trending in the right direction.  

He did do the Zibanajed deal which was a steal for sure. He has done some good things that was poor choice of words on my part. 

I do think they are going in the right direction but I just don’t think it’s due to savy management. That being said I certainly don’t think they deserved to be fired

I’d be very happy if Davidson was interesting in running hockey ops for the Flames. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

He did do the Zibanajed deal which was a steal for sure. He has done some good things that was poor choice of words on my part. 

I do think they are going in the right direction but I just don’t think it’s due to savy management. That being said I certainly don’t think they deserved to be fired

I’d be very happy if Davidson was interesting in running hockey ops for the Flames. 

I was thinking the same thing about JD.

Maybe somebody with some actual hockey sense could help turn the ship around.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I was thinking the same thing about JD.

Maybe somebody with some actual hockey sense could help turn the ship around.

Agreed.  When Brian Burke arrived, we got a respected hockey voice to interface with our owners and put them in their place... and then he's gone.

We exactly need JD to come in and tell it to the owners like it is.  

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Agreed.  When Brian Burke arrived, we got a respected hockey voice to interface with our owners and put them in their place... and then he's gone.

We exactly need JD to come in and tell it to the owners like it is.  

Unfortunately, you reminded me of dark days in Calgary.

Feaster days and Keegan Kanzig, Bolig nights.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

But I agree we need something to block the owners from pulling the wrong pin.

Here's a guy I still can't figure out:

Senior VP, Hockey Operations: Don Maloney

17 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Unfortunately, you reminded me of dark days in Calgary.

Feaster days and Keegan Kanzig, Bolig nights.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

But I agree we need something to block the owners from pulling the wrong pin.

Here's a guy I still can't figure out:

Senior VP, Hockey Operations: Don Maloney

I am beginning to feel like the Arizona Coyotes. There is talent on the team, but never able to really get a true vision putting it all together. The Coyotes have been in perpetual mediocrity, and it happened on Maloney's watch, it has continued after... and now we are seeing it happen here.

Rangers continue to clean house, not a surprise of course once you go to a new a GM. 

I was skeptical of the Quinn hire but I thought he had thigs going in the right direction. I think the Rangers had a much better season than their owner seems to think and were on the cusp of breaking through next year.