2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

15 hours ago, JTech780 said:

As of today here's where I am at for our roster.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Lucic-Ryan-Bennett

Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik

Quine

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Valimaki-Andersson

Stone

Rittich

Talbot

At least one move has to be made to fit everyone in. I think Frolik is the guy that gets moved, as there was just some weird stuff with his agent last year. I think Stone sticks around as we would need to acquire someone to fill his roster spot anyways. Brodie could be moved for an upgrade at center or right wing. Jankowski could used as an add on, which would pave the way for Dube to get a chance at center.

I know you base a lot of your decisions surrounding skating ability but in our case I really think they need to get Tkachuk away from Backlund and move him to the top line. If we want to have a responsible 2nd line to shutdown the opposition ad provide secondary scoring have it be Bennett, Backlund and Lindholm. Seriously just trade Frolik for picks, I don't think he is happy here anymore. Gaudreau, Monahan and Tkachuk are smart enough to figure it as to what will have them be a successful line offensively and defensively. This would leave us still trying to fill out RW for the 3rd ad 4th lines which we could make do.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk

Bennett, Backlund, Lindholm

Mangiapane, Ryan, Czarnik (this RW needs upgrading)

Lucic, Jankowski. ????????

This maybe leaves trying Dube on his off Wing 3rd or 4thline and is that what is best for him this season ? I would still like to see Treliving move Frolik, Jankowski, Brodie and Stone. Could throw Czarnik in with that group as well.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, GM_3300 said:

Seriously just trade Frolik for picks, I don't think he is happy here anymore.

I would think Frolik's issues are probably over with. Apparently ice-time and a spot was his biggest issue last year. With Neal gone, Frolik is back to being our de-facto #2 RW, and will probably get some of his PP time again this next year, as well as slightly more ice time ES. Seeing as his ice time was his biggest issue (or at least the issue his agent made it out to be), it should be resolved now that no one is here to really take it away (short of a prospect really blowing everyone away, or perhaps Bennett catching fire playing his off-wing). 

Though, Frolik for picks (or even a prospect) is something we may have to do anyways depending on what kind of contracts Tkachuk, Mangi, and Rittich get.

3 hours ago, Khrox said:

I would think Frolik's issues are probably over with. Apparently ice-time and a spot was his biggest issue last year. With Neal gone, Frolik is back to being our de-facto #2 RW, and will probably get some of his PP time again this next year, as well as slightly more ice time ES. Seeing as his ice time was his biggest issue (or at least the issue his agent made it out to be), it should be resolved now that no one is here to really take it away (short of a prospect really blowing everyone away, or perhaps Bennett catching fire playing his off-wing). 

Though, Frolik for picks (or even a prospect) is something we may have to do anyways depending on what kind of contracts Tkachuk, Mangi, and Rittich get.

There are still cheap deoth options out there as UFA.

The time for trading for picks has passed.

There may be a team that wants to add salary to hit the cap floor, but they are few and far between.

Or there may be a team that is missing a piece.

BT can't just depend on that happening. 

Buying out a player is almost a necessity.

As is trading a player or two for lesser player cost.

Trading Hamonic is not a great option, as he's on a value deal.

Brodie and Janko are replaceable internally, but could also be used to bring in a cheap C.

I suppose you could trade Frolik for a player making about $2m, if one is available.

I think a Stone buyout is now a certainty. I also think there is a slim chance that we can be cap compliant just signing our 2 RFA's, sending down Gillies and the buyout.

If Tkachuk were to agree to the Gio cap of $6,750,000 for a 2 year bridge that would leave $1,000,000 for Mangiapane, then we are compliant with just $6,000 in space. 

Unlikely but possible. We would look something like

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm

Tkachuk - Backlund- Frolik

Lucic - Ryan - Bennett

Mangiapane - Jankowski - Czarnik 

Quine - Dube

Giordano - Brodie 

Hanifin - Hamonic  

Valimaki - Anderson 

Kylington 

Rittich - Talbot 

Again, unlikely but possible. 

16 hours ago, Ward54 said:

I think a Stone buyout is now a certainty. I also think there is a slim chance that we can be cap compliant just signing our 2 RFA's, sending down Gillies and the buyout.

If Tkachuk were to agree to the Gio cap of $6,750,000 for a 2 year bridge that would leave $1,000,000 for Mangiapane, then we are compliant with just $6,000 in space. 

Unlikely but possible. We would look something like

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm

Tkachuk - Backlund- Frolik

Lucic - Ryan - Bennett

Quine - Dube

Giordano - Brodie 

Hanifin - Hamonic  

Valimaki - Anderson 

Kylington 

Rittich - Talbot 

Again, unlikely but possible. 

Quite honestly I wouldn't stunt Mangiapane's growth for the sake of Lucic being here. Play Lucic on the 4th line and use him on one of the PP units and take what we get from him.

11 hours ago, GM_3300 said:

Quite honestly I wouldn't stunt Mangiapane's growth for the sake of Lucic being here. Play Lucic on the 4th line and use him on one of the PP units and take what we get from him.

My post was intended as an example of the possibility of being cap compliant without trades rather than being lines and pairing suggestions. 

However I slightly disagree. I would be very tempted to prioritise maximising Lucic's value by trying him with Backlund on the shutdown line first. Looking something like 

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk 

Lucic - Backlund - Lindholm 

Bennett - Ryan - Frolik 

Highly unlikely this happens but I would be very tempted to try it in pre-season to see how it looks. 

10 hours ago, Ward54 said:

My post was intended as an example of the possibility of being cap compliant without trades rather than being lines and pairing suggestions. 

However I slightly disagree. I would be very tempted to prioritise maximising Lucic's value by trying him with Backlund on the shutdown line first. Looking something like 

Bennett - Ryan - Frolik 

Highly unlikely this happens but I would be very tempted to try it in pre-season to see how it looks. 

There's every reason to try things that make sense.

I'm not sure how exposing Lucic to the other teams' best players makes much sense.

Why go with Lucic over Bennett on that line?

I would consider Lucic-Janko-Czarnik(Dube) playing 4th line minutes, leaving you Mange-Ryan-Frolik in your example.

11 hours ago, Ward54 said:

Bennett - Ryan - Frolik 

I don't believe Lucic's value is with his 5 on 5 play any longer but will be on one of the PP units and as a presence for other teams not to take liberties. If Frolik is still here I don't know why we would not leave him with Backlund with how well they play together. Putting Tkachuk with Gaudreau and Monahan will be dynamic no question IMO and it provides the opportunity to improve our bottom 9 but more so the middle 6.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk

Bennett, Backlund, Frolik

Mangiapane, Ryan, Lindholm (we saw what Mangiapane and Ryan accomplished with Hathaway, can you imagine what they could do having Lindholm there)

Lucic, Jankowski, Czarnik

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Jtec mentioned him as well, but I can;t recall him playing well in EDM.

As insurance, it might make sense, but I think Kylington played better last year than him, so 7th D is about the best I could see him.

We also have Davidson (LD) who used to play in EDM.

What's with the ex-Oilers this year?

Strangely enough, there is a strong possibility that Puljujarvi will never play for the Oilers again.

Not that he's a slam dunk, but he has some parts of his game that we lack.

The cost could be reasonable and I can't see him being worse than Neal.

I mean PTO is fine, but Petrovic was pretty horrible last year. I use to like him but his game has plummeted the last 2 years. I get he’s a RS but that’s not a direction I’d go. 

Crazy that Florida has to move 2 top 6 forwards to Vegas to keep him protected. That error by talon does not get enough attention. 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I wish we kept Prout who i think was pretty steady in the 6/7th D role.  I know BT is always looking for that Derek Engellend version 2 but Petrovic is trending the wrong way fast.

Read where he's been offered a PTO by one team and a 2-way deal by another.

As far as the 7th guy, we may have that already.  Yelesin already impressed during the rookie camp.  May not be as difficult for him to adjust to the NHL as others.

We also have Davidson, who has played as a spare.

Petro isn;t an everyday D-man anymore, so if we are looking for a 6D, we should be looking elsewhere.  

This is worth a watch.  The Hockey Guy is a youtuber who quite literally does his own hockey analysis from his basement.  I believe he lives in the Vancouver area and is a Canucks fan but follows the NHL closely.  He's by no means a Flames expert which, is a breathe of fresh air sometimes.  Here's what "someone else" thinks of us this season,

33 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

This is worth a watch.  The Hockey Guy is a youtuber who quite literally does his own hockey analysis from his basement.  I believe he lives in the Vancouver area and is a Canucks fan but follows the NHL closely.  He's by no means a Flames expert which, is a breathe of fresh air sometimes.  Here's what "someone else" thinks of us this season,

He does good work, I’ve watched him a couple times. Thanks for sharing 

33 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We have a good team, I just don't think at this point Treliving has done enough to make us any better. One can hope losing in the first round will cause incentive and motivation to advance further however we do have some weaknesses. To be honest we have stayed very much the same team.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I am a subscriber and a big fan of the hockey guy. It is worth noting he is a fan and not an ex-player or a connected analyst. He lives near Vancouver but follows the Canucks, Boston and Dallas.

For those interested in the discussion surrounding Nolan Patrick in the trades thread in his flyers preview he talks about how much Patrick is loved in Philly. 

5 minutes ago, Ward54 said:

I am a subscriber and a big fan of the hockey guy. It is worth noting he is a fan and not an ex-player or a connected analyst. He lives near Vancouver but follows the Canucks, Boston and Dallas.

For those interested in the discussion surrounding Nolan Patrick in the trades thread in his flyers preview he talks about how much Patrick is loved in Philly. 

Ya he spoke about how much it tore him apart that his Canucks finally made the Cup Finals but only to face his second favorite team, the Bruins.

His generally knowledge of all teams is fair and he does follow the league closely despite not being an insider.  He's just a fan like everybody else.  It's good to hear what other fans think of us because sometimes we can be too critical of our own players and sometimes overhype them.

Agreed it's always nice to hear what others say about the team. I didn't watch the full video but his conclusions seems fair and I do agree with him that the Pacific division may not have a 100 pt team this year. 

General consensus that i'm seeing right now is most people, included some of the advanced stats guys on Twitter I follow, are pegging the Flames in the 93-99 point range so he falls right into that and that's exactly where i would peg the team right now too if you made me choose. 

15 hours ago, cross16 said:

Agreed it's always nice to hear what others say about the team. I didn't watch the full video but his conclusions seems fair and I do agree with him that the Pacific division may not have a 100 pt team this year. 

General consensus that i'm seeing right now is most people, included some of the advanced stats guys on Twitter I follow, are pegging the Flames in the 93-99 point range so he falls right into that and that's exactly where i would peg the team right now too if you made me choose. 

The bigger question is which teams have gotten better over the offseason in the Western Conference. The Flame are basically the same team. Have to see where every team sits come September.

I'm really up in the air about how and where to use Bennett to our best advantage. My instincts tell me now would be the time to put him back at C not another experiment for him on RW. The other position/situation that would give us a dynamite shutdown line would be Bennett LW, Backlund C, Frolik RW. Then what do they do with Tkachuk and Mangiapane ? If they were to form another line starting with Tkachuk LW and Bennett C maybe try Mangiapane on RW with them. This would make room for Dube with Backlund and Frolik. Maybe Ryan is the player that should be traded.

15 hours ago, cross16 said:

My feelings towards this year's version of the Flames is tepid right now.

No idea of what the final roster looks like, nor the lines and pairings.

It makes a difference.

If we went with exactly the players we have signed (somehow able to sign the remaing RFA's), I think we would be close to last year's production.

Just looking at it from the perspective of where we struggled and what we have done to address that.

Not much, other than swapping out Smith for Talbot.

For some reason, I can;t get past the idea that he cost us a lot of games we should have won.

Rittich struggled on the PK, but Smith struggles with everything.

Talbot is likely to have a bounce back over Smith, so he should stabilize the nets a bit.

If we manage to trade Frolik and/or Brodie for an upgrade in the top 9, then we might do better.

Sure, a lot of thngs went right last year.

But a lot of things went completely wrong.  

Archived