Flyerfan52

Carty

This is so sad to hear !  It's true, we meet up with our handles and names and its easy to lose sight of the fact real people and the real world exists behind the Avatars and code names.

I will say this though, it was easy to tell this guy knew his stuff.

Any post he did , was full of points that made sense, whether you agreed or not they always made sense ..

One of a handful of regulars here that I always wanted to see what he had to say on any particular thread 

He will definitely be missed !!

Say Hi to Ray  Buddy..

Image result for philadelphia flyers death

• Like 1

I was starting to get worried that he wasn't posting for this long.  I had this nagging feeling something was wrong.

Sad to lose one of the Flames family, especially someone so vocal in his support of our team.

The Flyers and Flames have both lost a true fan.

I loved his names for teams he hated.

Debbies.

Rags.

I respected his hatred to all things tank.

He will be truly missed here.

Here's to ya bud.

Image result for al bundy meme

54 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Carty, good of you to post this notice with its own thread. I had been wondering about FF and the silence on his end. He was a great presence to have on the forum and he was and will be missed. This is indeed sad news.

It is too easy to live and not in this anonymous world. It is important that FF52"s passing and contributions have been noted. Well done Carty, Pyro!!!

• Like 1

Thanks for finding this info, Carty and Pyro. I really enjoyed discussions with FF52, and had been concerned about him when I noticed his absence several months ago. 

We used to talk hockey, occasionally disagree about politics, and talk about cool rock and roll that happened in Winnipeg. 

RIP, friend. You've been, and will continue to be missed around here. 

Love, 

KJ 

• Like 1

Great job guys. Flyerfan52 was a really solid poster. He was positive, knowledgeable, and pretty chillaxed most of the time. He didn't really sweat it when he thought someone was wrong. His presence will be missed for sure. When I compare our board to several others, we are clearly distinct. He was a good representative of what makes the board great.

Gonna raise one for ya next win FF52! Peace.

• Like 1

Dang! Such terrible news. Thank you Pyro and Carty for sharing.

I had also been wondering why the sudden disappearance of FF52.

I always had time to read FF52's posts, sometimes corresponding with him as I felt he had great wisdom and insight on the game, as well as other things.

Such a huge loss. Never met the man but I feel like I lost a best friend.

RIP Larry. 

• Like 1

well this is certainly a sad read.. here i am enjoying the leafs getting their butts wiped by Chicago. and then this.. Well Larry.. you will be missed.. and to Larry's family.. I hope you have a way to access this site and see how larry has made his way into lives of people you don't know.. larry was a friend.. to all.. I had a brain aneurysm about seven years ago and miraculously survived and came away with a new life motto.... Every day above ground.. is a good day.. Larry will be looking down from the heavens every day of our lives.. R.I.P.. AFA.. Parktonboy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Carty said:

567f82ea9473008bf5e9f70a65056405.png

Many of us here have noticed that it has been quite a while since Flyerfan52 has made a post...   It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Flyerfan52 passed away peacefully while at home the day after his last post...   His name was Larry...

A lot of us often called him FF52...   and I will do that here...   After months of some of us trying to contact FF52, yesterday Pyro managed to find an obituary that he thought might be his and passed it along to me...   I knew Larry's full name and quite a bit of of personal info, so as soon as I read it, I knew it was his, and I needed a day to digest the sad news and make this post...   I thought that I would post it here in the 'Flames Talk' section where he made most of his posts, as he deserved to have it here, and not tucked away in the 'General Discussions' section where many might not see it...

As you know, FF52 was a true fan of the game of hockey, and we were fortunate to have him share his tremendous insight of the game, as he was as close to a human encyclopedia of hockey as I have ever known...   Larry was also a very kindhearted and soft spoken soul and he also had a great sense of humour and wit... His posts would sometimes make me see a different angle on something hockey related, and he often brightened my day with his good sense of humour...   We have lost a good fiend to the Flames Message Boards...

Please feel free to post any fond memories of Flyerfan52 in this thread, and I know many of us have them...   One more thing...   When the Flames host the Rangers tomorrow night, raise a fresh cold beer and say "To Flyerfan52, SKOL!!!", have a drink and then say "GO FLAMES!!!...   the Rangers suck", and have another...   He would have liked that, and somewhere in heaven above, he will be smiling...   FF52 hated the Rags...

Condolences.

Thank you Carty and Pyro for caring so much that you took it as far as finding out. That is a special kinship.

I could see years ago the friendship and respect between you guys had for each other was special.

As for FF52, I don't know that I could possibly say enough. We shared PMs, not frequently enough, but I have a world of respect for him.

Your description of him Carty is to a tee based on his posting. He never put on airs that he was the smartest guy in the room when most of the time he was.

He never let a debate fall to anger no matter how heated. He is charming is the best way I can describe it. Because I travel a lot for work I'd been hoping I'd get to Winnipeg to look him up. Alas, I never had that good fortune.

Way back in the day on this board when I was crash, we had a section called "Trash Talk". Other team's posters would come and try to light into us and it was a free-for-all of slamming posters. I quite enjoyed it, but it also set in on me that it's a fun thing to do.

Reading FF's posts taught me that I'm going about it wrong, post-trash talk. He stayed level and balanced all the time and didn't suffer fools, because there is no way around him just detailing why he's right.

He had incredible knowledge and insight and used it with a refrain and humility we should all learn from.

I know we mainly agreed, but sometimes I'd throw up things that weren't well thought out. FF would quote me, kindly give me points of contention, and I'd just accept I was wrong. lol

I literally cheered for Winnipeg and Philly in the playoffs solely out of my respect for him and being excited for him.

Last year I PMed him about the Jets run and if he's seeing games. I have a season's tix holder friend I wanted to ask about getting FF 2 tix. But he wanted no part of pandemonium when he has a perfect view on his TV. lol

Sometimes I work with guys nearing retirement that are the most miserable people you've ever been around. Occasionally, it's the opposite.

We refer to those few guys as, ol' codgers or charmers. They have a twinkle in their eye and a smile on their face. And whether you're at work, in a restaurant, having a beer, whatever, they have an appeal that just lifts the atmosphere for everyone around them. A kind of magic about them.

Unfortunately I haven't been in Winnipeg for a lot of years.

Because I know I'd have met a relatively rare "ol' codger" or "charmer".

Thanks for the early warning yesterday Carty and Pyro, I well up just thinking about it.

He's one of the 1st Ballot Hall of Famers here in my books, and I've been here for 26 years.

Rest well Larry, you were a model and an influence on all of us.

• Like 4

Wow. Such sad news. With his noticeable absence, I was hoping maybe it was something someone said or posted that turned him away from the board for a bit... hoping it wasn’t something worse. I didn’t know him as well as some of you on this board, but I always read, respected, and appreciated his posts and insights. I do thank you for this thread Carty, I got to learn a little more about FF52 that I never would’ve known otherwise, and it also validated the impression he made on me about the kind of person he was. He was one of the good ones for sure. I’ll definitely have a few drinks in his name. Much respect Larry, you will be missed but never forgotten. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Carty said:

I'll just pass along something that is an example of what a great guy FF52 was...   One day not long after my house burned along with everything in it a few years back, FF52 and I were talking...   He knew that I had a lot of hockey memorabilia, and he says something like "It's such a shame that you lost all that great hockey stuff...   Decades of finding and collecting and it all just went up in smoke...   Are you going to start to build another collection?"...   I said "I don't know man, a lot of it would be pretty much impossible to replace"...   Well one of the things he knew that burned was a complete set of those miniature chromed metal Stanley Cups with different team logos on them from Cup wins over the years...   You know the ones that came in 24 packs of beer quite a while back, the original ones, not the re-issue 2nd run...   A couple of days later, a delivery package shows up at my door...   I look at the name and return address and wonder what the heck FF52 could possibly be sending me a package for, open it up and find the Flames Stanley Cup from the original set...   So I called him up to thank him and he said "I know how much you love the game, and I know you had a really nice collection of memorabilia and I think you should start building another one"...   Then he said "and I knew that to do that you had to start somewhere"...   As usual, once again FF52 was right...   and I will always treasure that first piece that started me collecting again...

That's awesome