Oilers

9 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I don't understand the CBA like a lot of people on this site. I read somewhere that the Oilers are so close to the cap, that they will incur penalties if they activate Sekera. If that is true, Chiarelli is insane.

Not sure the article, but I don't see an issue. They have barely used the LTIR credit with Sekera so sending someone down when he is ready should get them under the cap pretty easily from what I see. they also have the option if converting Klefboom to LTIR as it currently shows him on just IR. looks like they have some options 

46 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Not sure the article, but I don't see an issue. They have barely used the LTIR credit with Sekera so sending someone down when he is ready should get them under the cap pretty easily from what I see. they also have the option if converting Klefboom to LTIR as it currently shows him on just IR. looks like they have some options 

I just read this from another poster on another board and, unfortunately, the point was not well explained or justified. I am not sure if this is true by any means, so this is why I raised it. I assumed that if a guy is injured, his cap space would not be impactful at all, and that he could be brought up at will. IF this is correct, I would like to know how this is the case. IF correct, Chiarelli is not a very wise manager.

And now I am not sure where I read that. I will keep looking in case there is more info here. Just curious.

4 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I just read this from another poster on another board and, unfortunately, the point was not well explained or justified. I am not sure if this is true by any means, so this is why I raised it. I assumed that if a guy is injured, his cap space would not be impactful at all, and that he could be brought up at will. IF this is correct, I would like to know how this is the case. IF correct, Chiarelli is not a very wise manager.

And now I am not sure where I read that. I will keep looking in case there is more info here. Just curious.

Yes your correct if a player is injured long term they don't get penalized for it. You can exceed the cap by that injured players salary but when they are healthy enough to play you need to be under the cap again. Perhaps what the person was referring to was current the Oilers are using thst extra cap space so they will have to send players down. 

They could also be referring to potential bonuses that would result in a cap charge for next year as the Oilers don't have room to account for those. That's not really related to Sekera though as the Oilers came into the season a cap heavy team

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Yes your correct if a player is injured long term they don't get penalized for it. You can exceed the cap by that injured players salary but when they are healthy enough to play you need to be under the cap again. Perhaps what the person was referring to was current the Oilers are using thst extra cap space so they will have to send players down. 

They could also be referring to potential bonuses that would result in a cap charge for next year as the Oilers don't have room to account for those. That's not really related to Sekera though as the Oilers came into the season a cap heavy team

Thank you for the clarification. 

Oilers also placed Rattie on waivers.  Some speculation they are trying to clear space for a trade, but it likely has more to do with Sekera returning soon.  Still, what a mess of a franchise.  If I ran the place, I'd clear house.  All management must go.  Then you do what you can to clear the stables.  The oil have a lot of place-holder talent on the team that don't help you win.  The Khairas, Spooners, Lucics of the world are the kinds of guys most teams have 1 of, and the oilers have 8.  8 mostly dead weights on the front end.  Just get rid of them any way you can.  If all you get to show for it are a couple of 7th rounders, so be it.  Next, trade Nuge.  Should get you a first.  Chiasson has had an okay year, should net you a second and a third.  Maybe trade Leon too, that should net you a first and a couple seconds.  On the back end, get rid of Benning, Manning, Russel, and maybe Larsson.  Those guys might get you a few picks.  Keep McDavid and Klefbom, maybe a couple others.  Tank hard for the next two-three seasons, sign some short term contracts in FA (maybe Hayes and Brassard for example) and hope things get better by 2022.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Oilers also placed Rattie on waivers.  Some speculation they are trying to clear space for a trade, but it likely has more to do with Sekera returning soon.  Still, what a mess of a franchise.  If I ran the place, I'd clear house.  All management must go.  Then you do what you can to clear the stables.  The oil have a lot of place-holder talent on the team that don't help you win.  The Khairas, Spooners, Lucics of the world are the kinds of guys most teams have 1 of, and the oilers have 8.  8 mostly dead weights on the front end.  Just get rid of them any way you can.  If all you get to show for it are a couple of 7th rounders, so be it.  Next, trade Nuge.  Should get you a first.  Chiasson has had an okay year, should net you a second and a third.  Maybe trade Leon too, that should net you a first and a couple seconds.  On the back end, get rid of Benning, Manning, Russel, and maybe Larsson.  Those guys might get you a few picks.  Keep McDavid and Klefbom, maybe a couple others.  Tank hard for the next two-three seasons, sign some short term contracts in FA (maybe Hayes and Brassard for example) and hope things get better by 2022.

Agreed, but the problem is that there might not be any Chiarellis in the league crazy enough to take on these guys.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Consider this an end to the Eberle trade....

Spooner placed on waivers.

Eberle for Strome for Spooner for nothing other than a buried salary and $2m retained cap hit.

Horrible cap management, talent understanding and trades....

I was shocked (sorta) when I heard this today. Basically, you got nothing for Eberle; still a fan favourite in Edmonton. I understand all GMs have their screwups, and you have to trade in a hostile, competitive environment, but zip for the guy!?

Maybe the waiver is for "a bold move" coming.

4 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Agreed, but the problem is that there might not be any Chiarellis in the league crazy enough to take on these guys.

I was shocked (sorta) when I heard this today. Basically, you got nothing for Eberle; still a fan favourite in Edmonton. I understand all GMs have their screwups, and you have to trade in a hostile, competitive environment, but zip for the guy!?

Maybe the waiver is for "a bold move" coming.

What I have read is the this closes the lop on the Messier trade.  

This makes the Iggy trade look like pure genious.

Okay, not really.

27 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Oh, BTW, the Oiler re-signed Koskinen to a 3 year, $4.5m average deal.

What!? I don't think that Chiarelli knows the difference between being decisive and making knee-jerk moves that make no sense. Who knows if Koskinen is their future? Not that long ago, Talbot was all the rage. 

33 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Oh, BTW, the Oiler re-signed Koskinen to a 3 year, $4.5m average deal.

IMO that’s a terrible signing by Chiarelli. Koskinen has been a decent goalie this season, but for a 31 career game sample size he gets 4.5? That’s crazy, and his career sv% is .905. But I won’t complain...

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Consider this an end to the Eberle trade....

Spooner placed on waivers.

Eberle for Strome for Spooner for nothing other than a buried salary and $2m retained cap hit.

Horrible cap management, talent understanding and trades....

Eberle can be traced to the last remaining piece of the Pronger trade as well. 

Love. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

IMO that’s a terrible signing by Chiarelli. Koskinen has been a decent goalie this season, but for a 31 career game sample size he gets 4.5? That’s crazy, and his career sv% is .905. But I won’t complain...

He'll be the goat like Talbot by this time next year.

Just now, conundrumed said:

It's becoming an honest question.

How long can McDavid last?

Likely wants to be traded for Matthews yesterday.

Or Eichel, or pretty much anyone...

I'd feel bad for him, but how bad can one really feel for a guy making 12.5 million a year...

I am not even sure it is possible, but does anyone know how create a running clock on this site? It would be awesome to know exactly how many days/hours left until the Oilers are eliminated from the playoffs. Or, it could be days until Chiarelli is fired.

I never really thought that I would relish in the misfortune of the KY Club. It really does feel like '89 again.

Just now, conundrumed said:

But in terms of being envious of predicaments. lol

Well, I can't argue with you about that

I thought it rather funny and tragic at the same time that, during the game against Oilers, McDavid had that look he had when Edmonton called his name at the draft. It is a very sad look. Seriously, if you observe carefully enough, you can literally see his soul being shred by black figures. I wouldn't be surprised if McLottery's agent chats with management to express their displeasure.

I can guarantee you there are moments that McDavid regrets signing for 8 years. Credit to Chiarelli for getting that done, easily his best work. I understand why he signed for 8, they were coming off a great season and they were the second coming of the Gretzky era. A bad 2 years later and you can tell it's really wearing ionhim and I'm sure in his heart of hearts he wishes he only signed for 4 or 5 years

2 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Well, I can't argue with you about that

I thought it rather funny and tragic at the same time that, during the game against Oilers, McDavid had that look he had when Edmonton called his name at the draft. It is a very sad look. Seriously, if you observe carefully enough, you can literally see his soul being shred by black figures. I wouldn't be surprised if McLottery's agent chats with management to express their displeasure.

Sounds like something Carty could photo shop the Grim Reaper always behind MacDavid. lol

If he pleases.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Sounds like something Carty could photo shop the Grim Reaper always behind MacDavid. lol

If he pleases.

It is kind of sad that McDavid has to screw around with these bozos. Gretzky was able to make and break all of those records because he had a lot of talent around him. Ownership was terrible. McDavid appears to be under better ownership, but has to work with these tools. They don't even appreciate being on the same team as the guy given how little effort they put out. They didn't even help him when we started playing Mr. Potato Head with his face. The guy looked like Leatherface from Texas Chainsaw Massacre throughout the game.