Oilers

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I've lost words to describe this...

So, they believe the playoffs in in reach?

The 1st is a lotto pick, so be it.

The goalie is Talbot.  They have ruined more goalie than we have.

The young defensive forward is Puljujarvi.

So that want to trade away from their young player group to get back some of the scoring they lost by making bad trades.

Their cap situation is worse than ours, unless they convince doctors (and NHL) that Sekera is unavailable for the season.

They also don't have another goalie that is anywhere near NHL ready.  They walked away from Brossoit.

Fans should be afraid.  Very, very afraid.

I wonder if there is any credibility to these Red Wine Summits stories? Does Chiarelli have full control over the Oilers or are there restrictions placed on him? Do the old boys still have a major impact on the team?

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

So, they believe the playoffs in in reach?

The 1st is a lotto pick, so be it.

The goalie is Talbot.  They have ruined more goalie than we have.

The young defensive forward is Puljujarvi.

So that want to trade away from their young player group to get back some of the scoring they lost by making bad trades.

Their cap situation is worse than ours, unless they convince doctors (and NHL) that Sekera is unavailable for the season.

They also don't have another goalie that is anywhere near NHL ready.  They walked away from Brossoit.

Fans should be afraid.  Very, very afraid.

I was rather surprised by news that they are going all out to get help at forward. What surprises me the most is that ownership is actually allowing Chiarelli to make any further big moves. If anything, I thought that Chiarelli would be a seller at the deadline before being fired.

If I were an Oilers fan, I would be worried about this situation. Chiarelli must be concerned about losing his job, and a desperate General Manager is more likely to make desperate trades. My guess is that most hockey fans would say he makes poor trades when his job is secure. 

I would love to be a fly on the wall when the Oilers talk to their season ticket holders this year. Pointing out that Ottawa is marginally worse can only go so far.

Toronto and Edmonton might make good trading partners. It sounds like Talbot is up for grabs, and Toronto needed goaltending apparently. I am not sure if they acquired what they really wanted in the trade with Florida. The Leafs have a lot of forwards while the Oilers have one. Boyo in Toronto might be the last guy to hoop Chiarelli. 

5 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

Toronto and Edmonton might make good trading partners. It sounds like Talbot is up for grabs, and Toronto needed goaltending apparently. I am not sure if they acquired what they really wanted in the trade with Florida. The Leafs have a lot of forwards while the Oilers have one. Boyo in Toronto might be the last guy to hoop Chiarelli. 

Terrible trading partners.  Must be kidding me...

...Both teams want to win the Cup this year.

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Terrible trading partners.  Must be kidding me...

...Both teams want to win the Cup this year.

In this effort, their scouts and staff have left no stone unturned. Their problems have been solved with the bold move of adding Colby Cave to the roster. Not sure how Chiarelli managed to swing him when every other team was swooning the guy.

• Like 1

I am not sure why the Oilers are allowing Chiarelli to make any further moves at this point. While McDavid is clearly a great talent, Draisaitl is a good piece, and the Oilers are only a few points away from a wildcard spot, I just don't see them making the playoffs or doing anything if they make the playoffs. They should finish off the season, do a thorough review of the team by way of a few truly independent analysts, and possibly blow it up in the off-season. For me, "blowing it up" means making everyone, including McDavid, available for trade. They might be able to get an excellent talent and a bunch of #1 picks for McDavid alone. A good GM might be able to get a lot out for Draisaitl. I doubt that they are just a piece or two away from being a contender even with the right coach.

I am not a fan of acquiring one or two players who drive the whole team. It has worked in the past, but it generally leads to a long dry aftermath. 

37 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I am not sure why the Oilers are allowing Chiarelli to make any further moves at this point.

Because they want playoffs at all cost. I doubt they could find another GM who would both want the job, and be willing to take it with that in mind. 

28 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Because they want playoffs at all cost. I doubt they could find another GM who would both want the job, and be willing to take it with that in mind. 

I would suggest that when he was hired, it was to build towards the playoffs.

Now that they got there once, the business wants more playoffs so they can get the renewals of the luxury boxes.

IIRC, they are up this year.

Hard to get people/companies to shell out that kind of money for a losing product.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would suggest that when he was hired, it was to build towards the playoffs.

Now that they got there once, the business wants more playoffs so they can get the renewals of the luxury boxes.

IIRC, they are up this year.

Hard to get people/companies to shell out that kind of money for a losing product.

Dunno if the luxury boxes have gone up in price, but the regular seats sure have since moving to the new arena. 

53 minutes ago, cross16 said:

In other words, keep doing what they do every year and hope that things turn out differently. Management pretends like they are going to perform well while the players know it is over. 

At least Chiarelli can say that he made a bold (if dumb) move when he acquired Manning. 

Just now, Cowtownguy said:

In other words, keep doing what they do every year and hope that things turn out differently. Management pretends like they are going to perform well while the players know it is over. 

At least Chiarelli can say that he made a bold (if dumb) move when he acquired Manning. 

Definelty agree it's not a smart plan that's for sure... but it's plan. Maybe?

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I still think they will make the playoffs.

It's a weak division, but there are two better teams ahead of them that have had worse luck than them.

EDM fans get close to the edge, then they get a 7 goal win and think the problems are fixed.

After a game like that, they normally lose.

It happen to a lot of teams, but with the Oilers they only play well after being shamed by a weak team.

They they get a win and then fall back into the same habits.

The only reason why they are even close to a playoff spot is the West only has 5 dominant teams, and the rest are looking for handouts.  EDM is only 7 points out of last in the Pacific.  Their records speak for themselves:

Home: 12-10-1

Road: 10-11-2

Vs West: 14-15-2

Teams ahead of them have better home records and better vs the West.

I don't see them making it.

Won't be eliminated any time soon, but won't make it.   

17 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It's a weak division, but there are two better teams ahead of them that have had worse luck than them.

EDM fans get close to the edge, then they get a 7 goal win and think the problems are fixed.

After a game like that, they normally lose.

It happen to a lot of teams, but with the Oilers they only play well after being shamed by a weak team.

They they get a win and then fall back into the same habits.

The only reason why they are even close to a playoff spot is the West only has 5 dominant teams, and the rest are looking for handouts.  EDM is only 7 points out of last in the Pacific.  Their records speak for themselves:

Home: 12-10-1

Road: 10-11-2

Vs West: 14-15-2

Teams ahead of them have better home records and better vs the West.

I don't see them making it.

Won't be eliminated any time soon, but won't make it.   

That's partly why i think they will make it.  The competition isn't exactly tough.

The Avs are imploding.

The Wild lack elite star power.

The Stars are a one line team.

The Ducks are banged up.

The Canucks are still too inexperienced.

The Oilers are going to be right there to the end and while I'm not making any guarantees, I'm just saying, i think they will squeeze in.

Which is great because it would probably mean Chia did some harm to the future for the now.  Since the Oilers make the playoffs, Chia will keep his job one more year and has the reigns to hurt the team long term even more next season.  That's great as a Flames fan.  If you're an Oilers fan, then you should cheer for the Oilers to miss the playoffs this season so management cleans house.

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

That's partly why i think they will make it.  The competition isn't exactly tough.

The Avs are imploding.

The Wild lack elite star power.

The Stars are a one line team.

The Ducks are banged up.

The Canucks are still too inexperienced.

The Oilers are going to be right there to the end and while I'm not making any guarantees, I'm just saying, i think they will squeeze in.

Which is great because it would probably mean Chia did some harm to the future for the now.  Since the Oilers make the playoffs, Chia will keep his job one more year and has the reigns to hurt the team long term even more next season.  That's great as a Flames fan.  If you're an Oilers fan, then you should cheer for the Oilers to miss the playoffs this season so management cleans house.

I think you have to throw the Blues and the Coyotes in there too. Blue's were playing well below their talent level early in the season and seem to have levelled out and the Coyotes are right there despite a ton of injuries. Both are only 4 back.

I get your point and you may be right but if I were a betting man I would be they won't get it. The only reason they are even close is they got an unreal run out of Koskinen. Team wise, this has been a lottery pick team basically all year. But sign me up for watching them deal their first round pick while they are close. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I think you have to throw the Blues and the Coyotes in there too. Blue's were playing well below their talent level early in the season and seem to have levelled out and the Coyotes are right there despite a ton of injuries. Both are only 4 back.

I get your point and you may be right but if I were a betting man I would be they won't get it. The only reason they are even close is they got an unreal run out of Koskinen. Team wise, this has been a lottery pick team basically all year. But sign me up for watching them deal their first round pick while they are close. 

Nail, meet head.

I am surprised they feel they are anything resembling a playoff team, or more accurately, a team capable of reaching it.

3 wins in shootouts.  And quite a few wins in OT.

Negative goal differential.

Koskinen won quite a few games where they couldn't score many themselves.

Even with the few games where blew up the other team, they still are barely outscoring Minny.

Arizona looked like a last place team for so long but appears to be starting to figure it out.

And that's without top talent or goalie.

STL is going to make some trades like last year and fall back a bit.

Depends how far they go.

On 2019-01-16 at 1:49 AM, The_People1 said:

I still think they will make the playoffs.

No way man. Saturday, April 6th, we go into KY Town. The Oilers will be 1 point out of a playoff spot. Johnny feasts on the greasers and delivers the death knell. Oilers D add to the lead by pulling a Steve Smith on Costco-Inn. 

Oilers mandate is to make the playoffs, Chia is done 100% if they don't. I agree, it'd be best for them to miss the playoffs and restart the rebuild to the previous rebuilds. They won't go deep in the playoffs but it would be sweet to knock them out in Rd 1 should we end up playing them. 

Its so different looking down at the standings as opposed to always chasing and looking up! I remember only knowing which teams occupied those wild card spots...because that's all that was in reach at the time. It's a sad state to be in...always chasing and depending on others to lose. 

Oilers have a major off season coming up, new management, goalies, major roster holes to fill and they still need to prepare for the expansion draft in a couple years. Best case scenario for us is they keep Chia for another year AND promote Gulutzan to head coach!

1 hour ago, rickross said:

Oilers mandate is to make the playoffs, Chia is done 100% if they don't. I agree, it'd be best for them to miss the playoffs and restart the rebuild to the previous rebuilds. They won't go deep in the playoffs but it would be sweet to knock them out in Rd 1 should we end up playing them. 

Its so different looking down at the standings as opposed to always chasing and looking up! I remember only knowing which teams occupied those wild card spots...because that's all that was in reach at the time. It's a sad state to be in...always chasing and depending on others to lose. 

Oilers have a major off season coming up, new management, goalies, major roster holes to fill and they still need to prepare for the expansion draft in a couple years. Best case scenario for us is they keep Chia for another year AND promote Gulutzan to head coach!

The expansion draft will be easier on them as they’d have less talent to protect. It’ll be harder on the Flames. The Flames will lose someone like Bennett.

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

The expansion draft will be easier on them as they’d have less talent to protect. It’ll be harder on the Flames. The Flames will lose someone like Bennett.

Flames do have more and higher quality assets to protect however the expansion draft may expose a player on the Oil such as Klefbom or Nurse, we atleast have positional depth so losing a player won't leave as big a hole as it would to the Oilers roster. Either way they still suck. Lol

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

I don't understand the CBA like a lot of people on this site. I read somewhere that the Oilers are so close to the cap, that they will incur penalties if they activate Sekera. If that is true, Chiarelli is insane.

Well, they don't have a choice.

They will have to waive a few players and/or send some guys down.

Can not begin to explain how much I detest the Oiler's. However, I do love their misery. IMHO last night is and will the fall of their season, I am proud the Flames are the one's to push them over the cliff, last nights loss will start them down the cliff once again

• Like 1