Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

24 minutes ago, sak22 said:

His words do nothing at this time without backup.  His character as a coach was put into question by one player, other instances were brought up by others and verified by a former assistant coach.  Given the fact it took 2 days from the initial tweet to this tells me that this was one lawyered up explanation to save face.

Agreed.  It's his word against 3 or 4 players words in regards to the Aliu situation.  

Peters didn't even acknowledge the Canes incident.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Lol so what?  Can't be serious.  You set the time machine to the wrong year bro.  It's not 1989.

Lol no I just live in reality too many people get bent out of shape over words, actions are what are important...serious this was like 10 years ago, how has Peters been since then.  Anyway I’m done with this, I just hope the Flames do the right thing here and not fire Peters over something so minor and so long ago 

im not even sure why they are looking into it, the NHLPA looking into it sure, the former team sure, the league sure...but the flames nope, all this is, quite frankly is the excuse to fire him 

they should really fire him for his results if anything not this 

54 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Lol no I just live in reality too many people get bent out of shape over words, actions are what are important...serious this was like 10 years ago, how has Peters been since then.  Anyway I’m done with this, I just hope the Flames do the right thing here and not fire Peters over something so minor and so long ago 

im not even sure why they are looking into it, the NHLPA looking into it sure, the former team sure, the league sure...but the flames nope, all this is, quite frankly is the excuse to fire him 

Racial and physical abuse isn’t minor. Not in anyway. I don’t get why you’re trying to paint Peters as the victim here. He was a grown man who verbally, racially and physically abused players. Being the victim doesn’t make you weak, you make it sound as though Aliu deserved to be abused because he wasn’t a full time NHLer? So anyone who can’t make the NHL or speaks out against abuse are weak people? That’s some warped thinking. Just because something was acceptable in the past doesn’t make it right. 

10 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I don't understand that comment? 

Right after the Cherry incident  There was some female daytime tv presenter that more or less said all hockey players were privileged white bullies. Cant remember her name but I dont think there was any firing or anything.

2 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Right after the Cherry incident  There was some female daytime tv presenter that more or less said all hockey players were privileged white bullies. Cant remember her name but I dont think there was any firing or anything.

It was Jessica Allen, and after an "apology" that was actually more of a rationalization of her comments, she was not fired...   https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/allen-cherry-hockey-apology-1.5361608

What a mess... Who would have thought Babcock getting fired would launch such a storm.

Peters, Babcock, Sutter , Crawford, ..all outed to some degree or other .. definitely the tip of the iceberg..I'd say the "old school" coaches club is getting decimated .. this is gonna get bigger long before it goes away

31 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

What a mess... Who would have thought Babcock getting fired would launch such a storm.

Peters, Babcock, Sutter , Crawford, ..all outed to some degree or other .. definitely the tip of the iceberg..I'd say the "old school" coaches club is getting decimated .. this is gonna get bigger long before it goes away

Maybe the NHL should put a pause on the 2019-2020 season, no further games.

Since 10 years ago was not that long ago, lets go back 20-30yrs. Anyone involved with the NHL during this time can come forward with any complaints they have had, clear the air sort of speak, allow for lawsuits, find out who feels they were wronged in any way.

Lets clear things up, start with new slate then move forward.

Let the process begin and say goodbye to the 2019-2020 season.

2 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Maybe the NHL should put a pause on the 2019-2020 season, no further games.

Since 10 years ago was not that long ago, lets go back 20-30yrs. Anyone involved with the NHL during this time can come forward with any complaints they have had, clear the air sort of speak, allow for lawsuits, find out who feels they were wronged in any way.

Lets clear things up, start with new slate then move forward.

Let the process begin and say goodbye to the 2019-2020 season.

It will never be clean..  but I do totally believe the NHL and Bettman will make a make an example of Peters.

This is what I believe is the major holdup..  the league themselves will void his contract , likely impose a fine and or suspension (can't be hired for X amount of time )

Flames at the start were probably quite content and ready to just simply fire him and move on, but the league is likely controlling this.

Even Burke ( a lawyer ) stated after BT spoke last night that his words reeked of Bill Dalys words 

And I'll add..the league should take control of this .. this is an opportunity to make a statement ..set a precedent ..send a message from the NHL to the hockey world what is not acceptable

5 hours ago, MP5029 said:

So I can call your music N-word music? I can go over to your house and call your house a N-word house?  Your lawn N-word grass?  Your shirt a N-word shirt?

I never called you a N-word directly so it's okay?  It's just words so get over it.

No it's not okay.  What's fuzzy is the exact details of the events because I believe context matters in these situations.  Did Peters acknowledge he did wrong and went back to the room to apologize or not?  Peters may not have been racists but he was sick of hearing the N-word blasted loudly in the room so he made a mistake.

Yes, Aliu is lazy, can't hockey, would never have made the NHL anyways.  He may be a bitter individual looking for a scapegoat or looking for a money grab.  Doesn't change the fact Peters made a mistake and almost got away with it.

21 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

It will never be clean.. 

Sad but true.  Yet, we should appreciate the effort for zero racism.

The thing i don't like about the Left is they've rendered the word "racist" into a binary "yes" or "no" when reality is, it's a grey scale.  Let's say level 0 Racist is you're so color blind that you would marry someone of a different race and build a family with them.  Level 10 Racist is like the Christchurch shooter, celebrating killing others.

What's Level 1 Racist?  Maybe you don't hate anyone but you just prefer your own race a little bit more... BAM, not allowed!  You are racist!  But come on right?  I mean, I appreciate society trying to aim for zero but what's actually realistic and tolerable by the masses is actually somewhere like a Level 3 of 10.  Society can function very smoothly at those levels.  No one is oppressed at those levels.  Equal opportunity still exists under those levels. 

There will never be "clean" but there's a level that is acceptable.

How do you read Peters statement and thinks it’s sincere?

no mention of Akim Aliu. No apology to him or the Hawks organization. 
he “meant no disrespect” by using one of the most disrespectful words in the English language?

makes specific reference that the event was “10 years ago”, Like it matters. 

as I said earlier I don’t think he even wrote the letter, his lawyer probably did as I don’t know how yon can read that and think it was a sincere or heartfelt apology. 
I also find it fishy that he not only emailed it up media at the same time he emailed it to Treliving,he drops this during the game. 

Sincere, my Hash Rate 

3 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

See i dont agree with him how in good faith and honesty can you look at someones statement and say to them your not sincere i call bs here

I'd say it's open to interpretation..  Peter's states he apologized to the room which was never mentioned previously,. He says his comments were to nobody in particular but he did yell it at Aliu, even if he was referencing the music..    people have mentioned he doesn't reference Aliu in his apology , but I give him a pass on that as many have stated there could be legal reasons for that 

Like I mentioned previously, they key to me is what the captain has to say..  not that a room apology lets him off the hook, but it does paint the situation in a different light if it did indeed happen 

I live in Calgary..The city as a whole want nothing more to do with Peter's.. If he's on the bench again.. there will be many many loud protests outside the saddledome which could affect the new stadium ever getting built.with public money. Peter's is done here.. All this should have came out during the hiring process,, Inexcusable that Peter's was not man enough to bring this up .. Treliving is also not on every bodies xmas card list here.. Not a very thorough vetting was done.. This is his third coach!!!

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Sad but true.  Yet, we should appreciate the effort for zero racism.

The thing i don't like about the Left is they've rendered the word "racist" into a binary "yes" or "no" when reality is, it's a grey scale.  Let's say level 0 Racist is you're so color blind that you would marry someone of a different race and build a family with them.  Level 10 Racist is like the Christchurch shooter, celebrating killing others.

What's Level 1 Racist?  Maybe you don't hate anyone but you just prefer your own race a little bit more... BAM, not allowed!  You are racist!  But come on right?  I mean, I appreciate society trying to aim for zero but what's actually realistic and tolerable by the masses is actually somewhere like a Level 3 of 10.  Society can function very smoothly at those levels.  No one is oppressed at those levels.  Equal opportunity still exists under those levels. 

There will never be "clean" but there's a level that is acceptable.

Why even enable any form of racism in any way? You’re either racist or your not. I don’t buy all this middle ground stuff. 

4 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

I live in Calgary..The city as a whole want nothing more to do with Peter's.. If he's on the bench again.. there will be many many loud protests outside the saddledome which could affect the new stadium ever getting built.with public money. Peter's is done here.. All this should have came out during the hiring process,, Inexcusable that Peter's was not man enough to bring this up .. Treliving is also not on every bodies xmas card list here.. Not a very thorough vetting was done.. This is his third coach!!!

I agree with you right up to the end .. I don't believe even one shred of this is on BT

The Aliu incident , even by Aliu's admission , never left that room... the Carolina incident never made it past Ron Francis 

BT made a hockey decision , based on what he saw working with him at the worlds,..talking with him , seeing the results over the course of his career  

Obviously nobody who had something to say was going to say it 

If we recall.. the new owner was a cheapskate , and wanted Bill to not return so Bill had to opt out of his contract ..and everybody knew if he did it was to come to another job .. so Carolina , even if management knew about the bench incidents , certainly wasnt going to sabotage his next job by saying a thing 

I don't think there is one Flames fan in Calgary sitting here today saying " well ya , saw that coming "

I admit i had an initial red flag based on his ripping of Eddie Lack publicly .. but he addressed that first day .. just like everybody else did, wrote it off as a coaching blunder .. and to be honest i have no problem with publicly outing a player ..sometimes it's needed .. but i recall thinking that was extreme

nope.. if this is on anybody , i put it on Ron Francis 

The slow pace of this is concerning. I'm worried there may have been concerning behaviour at Calgary that they are now reviewing and possibly others who have allowed it to happen. Zero evidence for this, just a concern. His racial remarks on their own should lead to instant dismissal and you cannot have a coach assaulting his playing staff. He needs to be gone.

5 minutes ago, andymo said:

The slow pace of this is concerning. I'm worried there may have been concerning behaviour at Calgary that they are now reviewing and possibly others who have allowed it to happen. Zero evidence for this, just a concern. His racial remarks on their own should lead to instant dismissal and you cannot have a coach assaulting his playing staff. He needs to be gone.

There are bigger things going in the background .. all led by Lawyers .. this isnt a simple fire the coach , rest assured the league is dictating all steps here 

For all intents and purposes hes the coach in name only right now .. he will never be back behind the bench , hes done in Calgary 

But legal things need to play out 

My best guess, is the league wants to be the one to fire him.. make an example as a league issue .. not a team issue 

4 minutes ago, andymo said:

The thing is this is a Legal Matter with contract now if the flames fire peter bang peters can sue the flames for 2 mill for the remainder of his contract as this incident happened 10 years ago and didnt just happen now so they have to do there do diligence to get out of this contract

2 minutes ago, andymo said:

There is no slow pace as it is all over. The rest is for the lawyers to negotiate. 

This season is finished. Time to start looking at draft picks.

Archived