Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

8 minutes ago, CalgarySTL said:

I mentioned it earlier but, is Joel Quenville available? The team's he coached seemed to like playing for him

Would have loved Quenville, not so sure he would’ve signed here but he’d have been a great option. There really aren’t too many household name coaches available right now, probably best to wait until the off season and see who becomes available 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I don't think Treliving resigns but i'm sure King/Edwards and co will want an explanation from him. 

Reasonable to assume this incident was not known but what did Treliving know and what was the process in him digging into Peters past. Also how do they feel about 2 coaching hires now not working out?

I mean Brendan Shanan played in Detroit and would have had friends play with Babcock in Detroit and still hired him. I don't think it's fair to put much of this on Treliving and I don't think it warrants a dismissal but he'll be taken to task on it i'm sure. 

I am certain that they will ask about this, but I can see no culpability being placed on Treliving. How often do employers ask whether a potential employee is racist? I am not even sure that it is legal for him to go around asking questions of that nature in the same way it is illegal for an employer to do a Google search on a prospective employee. He is not going to admit to an illegal employment practice that would likely be ineffective (given the friends Peters must have). 

I honestly think that Gary Bettman deserves some scrutiny here. He has been all enlightened on homophobia, but has he generated a set of policies on how GMs and coaches are expected to behave in similar situations? Racism did not come out yesterday. If not, then he deserves some blame here. Was the plan to wait until a disaster happened, and then address the problem irresponsibly in the heat of the moment? What if another coach has already said the same thing and he gets a different sanction? Are we going to band-aid this like our economy?

The Flames and the NHL had better think this through carefully and slooooowly. They better have #metoo in mind as well because I suspect that this is just the beginning of a much larger problem. 

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't think Treliving resigns but i'm sure King/Edwards and co will want an explanation from him. 

Reasonable to assume this incident was not known but what did Treliving know and what was the process in him digging into Peters past. Also how do they feel about 2 coaching hires now not working out?

I mean Brendan Shanan played in Detroit and would have had friends play with Babcock in Detroit and still hired him. I don't think it's fair to put much of this on Treliving and I don't think it warrants a dismissal but he'll be taken to task on it i'm sure. 

I don’t think any of this really falls on BT, Aliu himself said he kept it to himself for all these years. If it was known previously BT would have found out prior to the hiring. The way this season has gone BT’s seat is getting warm, don’t think he’s on the hot seat yet but it’s getting warm for him. 

16 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

no way BT resigns... 

BT seemed pretty honest, and hard on himself a few days ago in interview.  This makes all that seem like child’s play.  If big changes in store BT leaving makes sense too.  Not that I agree, but he does have the responsibility for the coach hire, and he’s had 3 coaches already.....

I haven't dug too much into these choices, but I have a quick top 4 candidates. I don't think we can get any of them during the season.

1.  Rikard Gronberg: Long time head coach of the Swedish National Team, currently coaching in Zurich. Looks like he has another year on his deal after this season with no NHL out clause, so I am not sure if he is a realistic option.  He went to college in the States and has coached in NA before.

2. Mike Vellucci: Currently coaching in Wilkes-Barre of the AHL. Won the Calder Cup with Charlotte last year.

3. Lane Lambert: Long time assistant under Trotz, currently an assistant coach with the Islanders.

4. Nate Leaman: Currently head coach of the Providence Friars in the NCAA. Coached Jankowski and Gillies to a National Championship.

Just now, JTech780 said:

I haven't dug too much into these choices, but I have a quick top 4 candidates. I don't think we can get any of them during the season.

1.  Rikard Gronberg: Long time head coach of the Swedish National Team, currently coaching in Zurich. Looks like he has another year on his deal after this season with no NHL out clause, so I am not sure if he is a realistic option.  He went to college in the States and has coached in NA before.

2. Mike Vellucci: Currently coaching in Wilkes-Barre of the AHL. Won the Calder Cup with Charlotte last year.

3. Lane Lambert: Long time assistant under Trotz, currently an assistant coach with the Islanders.

4. Nate Leaman: Currently head coach of the Providence Friars in the NCAA. Coached Jankowski and Gillies to a National Championship.

The problem is teams are very reluctant to let go guys that were part of the org.

Part of it is trade secrets.

Part is losing a "prospect" or positive force.

Bylsma is available.

Hehe.

The last three coaches have turned out to be duds.

Not saying the players didn't have a lot to do with it, but the turnover rate is too high.

No stability.

Also, some bad choices.

Ward is probably the most logical choice right now.  Give it to him for the rest of the year, and if things continue to collapse then you fire BT.  The new GM can then get to pick his own coach and decide the future club direction.  Retool? Rebuild? Stay the Course? The next GM should be the one to decide these things.

I take great offence to Treliving referring to Flames fans as... you people,, if
Don Cherry gets fired for saying You People.. How is this right????

During tonight’s game I was made aware of a Tweet from former player Akim Aliu,” Treliving said. “Obviously, we were playing so I haven’t had a chance to sit down with Bill or our people internally to talk about this and get to the bottom of it. I would say we take these matters very, very seriously. So, until such time as we have a chance to speak about it internally, we obviously wanted to address you people.

41 minutes ago, rickross said:

Same for country 100%.

Country emanated more from folk and Hobo music from the great depression. The musical elements are there, but I wouldn't correlate it to blues or big band jazz. Elvis was also on the gospel side, and for sure he was influenced by black music.

Imagine being in BP's shoes right now. Wow.

Regardless of what was said or done, the compassion gene has to kick in. Making mistakes along the way is everybody. Never too late to educate yourself vs being torn to shreds.

He'll be fired and he's at a crossroads. Worst time to pile on someone. Same with Babcock. It's done, it's over, let it go. Some people can't get over pointing bad person at others while burying their own flaws as people.

17 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

clean sweep.. Haken Loob for G.M... Gronberg for coach

I think the biggest question Treliving is going to get from the ownership group is, why was there no coach search done when hiring Peters. Treliving just decided that this was his guy and hired him. Not even sure there was an interview.

Now I will be honest, I was one of the people wanting Peters hired here and thought it was a great hire. Didn't realize how wrong I was on that one.

This next hire will be a long drawn out process, with multiple interviews and checking with references. I think we will see teams doing much more exhaustive back ground checks on coaches going forward.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think the biggest question Treliving is going to get from the ownership group is, why was there no coach search done when hiring Peters. Treliving just decided that this was his guy and hired him. Not even sure there was an interview.

Now I will be honest, I was one of the people wanting Peters hired here and thought it was a great hire. Didn't realize how wrong I was on that one.

This next hire will be a long drawn out process, with multiple interviews and checking with references. I think we will see teams doing much more exhaustive back ground checks on coaches going forward.

I think the bigger question is would it have mattered?

Brendan Shanahan would know multiple people who played under Mike Babock and still hired him. There are plenty of stories around Bob Hartley and Feaster worked alongside him, and he was still hired. There's a video online now about Laviolette punching a player in the helmet on the bench in Philly and he got hired again. Heck, Peters won 50 games last year and not a whisper of anything.  How many jobs did Mike Keenan get and continue to get? Up until now this has been acceptable behavior in the hockey world and does not appear to trigger anything or force decision when its comes to hiring. Changing world now which is I think is healthy in the long run, 

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think the bigger question is would it have mattered?

Brendan Shanahan would know multiple people who played under Mike Babock and still hired him. There are plenty of stories around Bob Hartley and Feaster worked alongside him, and he was still hired. There's a video online now about Laviolette punching a player in the helmet on the bench in Philly and he got hired again. Heck, Peters won 50 games last year and not a whisper of anything.  How many jobs did Mike Keenan get and continue to get? Up until now this has been acceptable behavior in the hockey world and does not appear to trigger anything or force decision when its comes to hiring. Changing world now which is I think is healthy in the long run,

The tough call though, is everyone motivates differently. Nurture some, anger others. But there has to be a line. If you're coaching pros, you don't do it to younger pros, you can only nurture.

Should also mention the intense pressure to get results can't be easy on a coach. Or anyone else for that matter.

I'm sure everyone has done incredibly stupid things under intense scrutiny and duress. I know I have.

This story has gotten worse. Peters won’t coach another NHL game I don’t believe.

Ward will be the next bench boss, seeing as he was almost the coach when GG was hired. I think if he gets us to playoffs he sticks around long term.

If not then I really hope TB chokes and Cooper is available, although the Flames never go big game hunting for coaches and front office personnel 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Wow.... I thought the Feaster years were bad but this might be a low point of me being a Flames fan.

What an absolute train wreck of a season. 

Funny how nothing is said for years,but now there seems to be no shortage. For me if Peters goes so does tree, his hire and his man. With the no shortage of information now out of Carolina Flames have a case against them as well. So its gone from he is a racist to his a bully and physically abuse with players in multiple occcassions Yet nobody knew. Nobody else finds it odd

18 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Funny how nothing is said for years,but now there seems to be no shortage. For me if Peters goes so does tree, his hire and his man. With the no shortage of information now out of Carolina Flames have a case against them as well. So its gone from he is a racist to his a bully and physically abuse with players in multiple occcassions Yet nobody knew. Nobody else finds it odd

Often it takes just once person to break the seal before the flood gates can open.  After all, if someone is a jerk to me, I might give them the benefit of the doubt and assume he and I just don't mix well.  No sense in torpedoing a guy's career over it.  But if I find out others have had the same experience, well...

On top of that, no one in pro sports wants to be known as a whiner or a wuss, a pretty solid reason to keep quiet (at least to a point).

13 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

That's not fair at all. This stuff just coming out and it's BTs fault for not knowing?

I get that emotions are running high, but ffs people, breathe.

How are you arguing BT is implicated?

For not knowing?

14 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

That's not fair at all. This stuff just coming out and it's BTs fault for not knowing?

I get that emotions are running high, but ffs people, breathe.

How are you arguing BT is implicated?

For not knowing?

I'm not a BT fan.  Never have been.   But, that's in terms of being a GM.

In terms of being a human being I think he is handling this very admirably, as well as one can.  So far.

I can think of a million reasons why I'd like to see change higher up in this organisation.   

This is not one of them.

Archived