What makes you a Flames fan?

I think we're all grown up enough to decide on our own if we're a Flames fan.

Do you like the team?

Great, you're a fan.

The real question is what gives anyone the right to determine who is, and isn't a fan. My first question to these people is, why do you care? It's not an exclusive club. For those who would like it to be, maybe they should start their own club. Maybe they could be a fan of an imaginary NHL club. That should keep it really exclusive.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I picked the Flames as my team back in 99/00, but never really followed the NHL loyally.

I have since gotten back into Ice Hockey this season, and watch as many games as i can here in Australia. We get a wide range of different games during the week, on our Fox Sports channels here. I used to enjoy inline hockey over here, and used to play socially with mates, at peoples houses. I guess the love for the game has always been there, and internet along with pay TV has opened up the availability to get passionate.

Once i pick a team i will never jump off, as i have done with my AFL team here in Australia. My father supports the Western Bulldogs & i followed his footsteps, since entering the top league in Australia, we have only won one Grand Final (our last was 54 years ago). On numerous occasions the club has nearly gone under, as recent as 1989 was one of those years. The club was saved by the fans, who raised over $1 million from shaking tins & raffles.

You need to support your team through the hard times, because when the good times come, it is all the more sweeter.

I like Calgary fans more than Edmonton fans. I like the cold hard Canadian make-up of Calgary teams more than the NHL 09ish make-up of Edmonton teams. I like the Saddledome atmosphere more than the Rexall atmosphere.

Jarome Iginla and Robyn Regehr have both been incredible players to watch. Darryl Sutter is... interesting. Every Calgary-Vancouver game has a great build-up, and almost always merits it. The Flames are easily my favourite Canadian team after the Canucks, with the Senators being a far second.

I like Calgary fans more than Edmonton fans. I like the cold hard Canadian make-up of Calgary teams more than the NHL 09ish make-up of Edmonton teams. I like the Saddledome atmosphere more than the Rexall atmosphere.

Jarome Iginla and Robyn Regehr have both been incredible players to watch. Darryl Sutter is... interesting. Every Calgary-Vancouver game has a great build-up, and almost always merits it. The Flames are easily my favourite Canadian team after the Canucks, with the Senators being a far second.

Look like your Manitoba Moose had some trouble tonight.... I hope you don't mind if we poach their coach after the playoffs :)

• 3 weeks later...

whats made me a flames fan since I was a little kid, they always been a tough & gritty team with a few skill players mixed in. Lanny McDonald, Doug Gilmour, Theo Flurey, Joel Otto, Joe Newindyke & Al McInnis on one team probadly helped too. Plus growing up in Vancouver, if your not one of the idiots, you learn to grow a hatred towards the Vancouver Canucks and their abnoxious fans.

I was not always a Flames Fan. I grew up in a Leaf's house and to cheer for anyone else meant certain death (or so I was led to believe). It may surprise you to know however that even though I was cheering them on in 89 (I hate the Habs passionately) it wasn't until 1993 when the Flames AHL farm team came to my hometown of Saint John New, Brunswick. That is when I truly became a fan. They spent 10 seasons there, winning the Calder Cup in 2001. I have a lot of great memories and I was lucky enough to see many great hockey players go on to make it in the bigs.

Archived