What makes you a Flames fan?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let see I have been a fan since day 1 went to the first game in Corral it was either a 6-6 tie or a 5-5 tie can't remember. I have seasons tickets and attend about 35 games a year and the playoffs. I have no expectations for the Flames every year as they have broken my heart too many times as a kid. I once wore an Oilers jersey back in 1979 before the Flames existed. I have a collection of Flames memorabilia that includes:

Set of Rick Wamsley game used pads

Noodles Chatcher

McE blocker

Cujo's Chatcher

Kipper game used stick

A few game used Helmets (Rhetts, Begin, and Shantz)

Flames and Team Canada summer camp banner

A team signed reading book markers framed from 2004-2005

Several signed players pucks.

Several other framed Flames player signed pucks (Iggy, Connie, Kipper, Lanny, Nemo, Theo,Pat Riggin, Ritchie Dunn, Harvey the Hound and others).

Several vintage framed photos (Atlanta and old pictures from the Corral a few with the Great One and Gordie Howe).

Calgary Herald Front page Newspaper poster plaque mounted from each of the series win in 2004 and the 89 cup win.

Picture of my baby daughter at six days old surrounded by some of my game used stuff signed by most of this years team

Signed picture of Gary Bromley goalie from the Calgary Cowboys.

A few jerseys.

Other Interesting Hockey Stuff that resides in my basement that needs to be put up:

World Cup of Hockey banner that was used at the Air Canada Centre

NCAA Championship banner from the Boston Fleet Centre

All-Star game banner that hung from the street lamp post from Florida

Crosby signed framed picture CHL team

Ovechkin signed game used broken stick blade

1 Topps Gretzky Rookie Card and Two OPCEE

Pete Mahovlich Signed Canada Cup pictures framed

Frank Mahovlich holding the cup framed picture

Tretiak signed picture

Other signed framed pictures (Lafleur, Billy Smith, Eddie Shack and others).

A large lighted Miller Light hockey sign from the 70's that came from a bar in Detroit.

Signed Crosby and Malkin framed picture

Signed Ovechkin framed picture

Signed Rick Nash framed picture

The anti-bandwaggoner? Smells a bit like a bandwaggoner but twice as deadly. :blink:

May I present...the Flames-mobile.

joyness012.jpgjoyness013.jpgjoyness015.jpg

joyness010.jpg

=)

The fuzzy dice make me the most chipper. :D

HAHA I forgot I got those dice too and that license plate too. But your Seat Covers and your Personalized Saskatchewan License plate are sure unique. Right On FONsy!

-2 home Regehr jerseys (old and new style)

-Blank home jersey (old)

-Blank away jersey (old)

-Youth jersey; Otto's # with my name (vintage)

-5 Flames shirts

-Flames socks

-5 car flags

-3 hats

-2 5x3 flags

-1 2x1.5 flag

-Flames piggy bank

-Flame bottle cozies

-Flames Apron/oven mits

-Flames dish cloth

-2 Jarome figures

-Flames beach ball

-Flames patio lanterns

-My mom made me a beautiful Flames douvet cover

-Tons of newspaper clippings

-3 Flames mugs

-1 poster

-Flames red '89 Camaro (haha)

A whole bunch of miscellaneous novelty items.

I also LOVE the City of Calgary.

Flames oven mitts. You're hard core.

What makes me a Flames fan?

The fact that I take days or work and school to watch the Flames play on some terrible internet feed where you cant even tell where the puck is!

When most people my age from my country are playing football (AFL) I'm playing Ice Hockey in a rink that takes me over an hour to get too from 11pm to 4am on a Friday night!

Every goal scored against us gives me the worst feeling.

I'd rather watch the Flames play on the net than go watch a live game of my other favorite sports!

A loss can ruin the best of days for me, where a win can make the worst days for me fantastic!

I may not have been to a Flames game before, but the amount of support I have for this team will last forever! I would almost do anything to be able to see the Flames play at home every few days, I would do anything just be able to walk up to someone in the street and talk about the game last night, because the sad thing is I can't share my passion for the Calgary Flames with anyone...

That is why I' am a Calgary Flames Fan

I'm resisting the urge to make off topic comments on what other people have posted. ;) I will thank Codes for his first post since I agree with 100% of it.

As for me, I was born and raised in CGY but to an American father and a Montrealer mother, neither of whom cared very much for hockey, so I had a hard time getting into it as a kid (I played soccer...it was cheaper). My dad was never a big sports guy but some of the Canadian enthusiasm for hockey did rub off on him (he's been a citizen for almost 15 years now, in case anyone is wondering) plus he would get tickets for free through his work every once and awhile so I got to see a few flames games growing up. We also used to go see that "Old-timers" hockey match at the dome every year, I think it was in March, and I remember seeing Lanny play in those games. He was and still is a big enough hero around town that it was impossible not to know who he was.

We also didn't have a TV in my house while I was growing up, so watching sports on TV was completely off my radar as a kid, until just around the Salt Lake Olympics (my dad caved and bought a TV, I was around 15). Most of my early hockey knowledge was garnered from listening to other kids at school talk about the flames (we all hated housley for some reason), but this was during the dark years so there was alot of self-hate for the flames going on (my friends all professed to be avalanche fans at the time, probably because they were actually winning championships).

Anyway, the first time I really started to become a die hard flames fan was watching Iggy win gold in Salt Lake. I remember thinking "this guy plays for my team!! he's freakin' amazing!!" but of course that team was studded with heroes. Obviously 2004 sealed the deal, before that I was a casual fan that didn't get too caught up in the wins and losses. Now my emotional state rides the roller coaster that is our win-loss record!! The lockout year was also my first year of university in the hockey mad city that is Montreal, so I probably transferred some of my homesickness onto missing the flames.

I own only two pieces of flames paraphernalia: a t-shirt and a hat. I keep meaning to buy a jersey but I can't decide who's name to get on the back (and I'm always hesitant to drop 200+ dollars on anything). Maybe for next season... ;)

Are we seemingly alot more passionate since 04? It seems like it. However why is that a bad thing. A stronger more passionate fan base entrusts support for the team for a longer while.

What makes me a Flames fan? I think other than breathing and food the Flames are the most important part of my life.

- I have more game used, and autographed jerseys, helmets, sticks, photos, Mcfarlane Toys than a small museum. Kipper's 04-06 helmet, and game worn 06-07 ASG jersey being the prizes of my collection.

- I have a pretty huge hockey card collection.

- Everyone instantly knows I am a Flames fan, be it with shirts, or other paraphernalia.

- I have jerseys I have worn since before I can remember, they start off very small, until very large.

Sometimes I admit that I am overly critical of the team, however at the same time usually you will see me defend our heros (Fleury at the time, Iginla, Phaneuf, Kipper).

- I am also of the belief you can't cheer for the Oilers, or Canucks. In 05/06 I was a huge Carolina supporter for reasons I do not need to mention.

Let see I have been a fan since day 1 went to the first game in Corral it was either a 6-6 tie or a 5-5 tie can't remember.

Hi Loob,

It was 5-5 vs. the Nordiques. It was my first ever hockey game at any level. I still have the stub.

The Flames are not just my favorite NHL hockey team, they are my favorite sports team and my favorite hobby (if you can call my passion/obsession for them a hobby).

I have had many Flames sweaters emblazened with Lanny's #9, Colin Patterson's #11, Loob's and Iggy's #12. My favorite players have been Lanny (obviously), Loob, Patterson (I don't know why - except that I really liked Yelle as well and they were built of the same mold), Fleury, Iggy, and Kipper. My all-time favorite Flame was Rejean Lemelin.

My favorite game experiences have been:

- the Nordiques game above,

- another Nordiques game where we were down 8-4 with 2 minutes left and came back to tie it, including two short-handed goals 4 seconds apart (League record)

- Flames beating the Oilers in '86

- any/every Habs-Flames game on New Years Eve

- Game 7 against Canucks in '89

- Game 6 against Habs in '89 (and being amongst the throng of fans on Electric Avenue and getting kissed (non sexual) by Lanny's daughter outside Coconut Joe's)

- Game 1 of the regular season in 00-01, the first year my wife and I had our own season tickets (316 Row 3 Seats 7 & 8), which I held until I had to move to Edmonton for work prior to the 05-06 season.

- Game 76 against Phoenix Coyotes when we clinched our first playoff spot in 7 years (the fans started a standing ovation with 5 minutes left in the game - this is the day that the rebirth of the Saddledome, as a loud place to play, came into fruition)

- Games 5, 6, and 7 of the Vancouver series in '04 were an amazing stretch of roller coaster emotions

- Game 6 against San Jose in '04 walking down the red mile after the game thinking both, "wow" and "jeez, this is kind of dangerous" all at the same time

- Game 82 in 05-06 at Rexall Place - my first game in hostile territory wearing my Flames jersey (Flames won handily and three inter-fan fights broke out after the game in the concourse. As I walked back to my car, I have never felt more unsafe in my whole life

- earlier this year, against Tampa Bay, when Iggy broke Fleury's record.

Now that I live in Edmonton, I still wear my jersey every chance I get despite risks of ridicule and even personal harm. I have forced my daughter to wear Flames pajamas, bibs, socks, booties, baby jerseys and more. I plan my weeks around the games during Fall, Winter, and Spring. I feel empty in Summer. I feel disappointed when I have other things to do on game nights. I am elated and am quite loud when they score (even if I am alone at home). I am actually sad or even angry when they are scored against or they lose.

All this and more makes me a Flames fan.

Well lets see....First off I'm a Hockey Fan....I'll watch any team playing on the tube, but only realy cheer for the Flames. I do cheer for the other Canadian teams when the unfortunate happens. My favourite day is usually around the 5th of October, !!!!!! I HATE SUMMER !!!!!!

Been a Flames fan since about 1983, that would be the year my house league decided all 6 teams had to be named after Canadian teams, and I ended up on the Flames. Didn't even know what city they belonged to at the time. The next 3 years I was always on the Flames, suprisingly we won the championship 2 times and the city once.

So in jan of 86 I get posted into Calgary (with the military) that is what cemented my love for the team. I lived there for 7 years and went to about 5 games a year, never a playoff game. Turns out the military loved to send us out just as the playoffs started. But, during 86 & 89 we shut everything down and watched the games on TV. We'd have about 100 guys jammed into modular tents (mess Hall) with about 95% of us routing for the Flames.

I left Calgary and lived the next 14 years on Vancouver Island.....not many CF fans there. Buddy won tickets to a Canuck/Flames at GM Place, Calgary wins 4-2...friend is pissed at me the whole way home.

While on course in Borden I get to a pre-season game when the ACC opened, Flames win 4-1.

Now living in southern Ontario, I went to see the Flames beat Ottawa (just the other month) This time I'n not the only fan, the cheering was loader for Calgary than for the Sens. Now that I think about it, I don't think I ever went to a Flames game that we didn't win.....

Things I own.....for my birthday in 04, friend of my wife bought a Flames Jersey (home) and had it autographed by the team, ball cap, touque, Ski Jacket (Bought it from the SportCheck in the mall off McLeod trl in 88 and it still fits me!) car flag, and I couldn't tell you how many hockey cards I own if my life depended on it. My signed Flames cards fill a 2inch binder, 9 per page, so I'll let you do the math. My next purchase would be one of those fleece blankets if any store around here would sell anything other than TO/Habs/Sens crap...that way I can sit in comfort watching the game and having a cold one in my CF Freezer mug.

;) I don't know I have watched every Flames game this year. I travel to Calgary which is 1000 km's from where I live to watch them play. I know it's not about how much money I spend that makes me a good fan, but I take a lot of grief from people because I am a fan. I always pick up for my team way up here in the north where most people are Oiler fans. I stay loyal to this team every year regardless and I know someday soon they will win the Stanley cup in the next few years. This team in my opinion is the best team and always will be, and no matter what nothing or no one will change my opinion about them. . Calgary Flames are the best.

Why am I flames fan? I'm a glutton for punishment! :lol:

Seriously, because it's the only NHL city that I have family living in, and the only city where I get to see games. And they supposedly play a tough, prairie style of hockey lead by Regehr, Iginla, and Phanuef... although sometimes I feel lied to about that one. Plus I've always been a supporter of Bert, even when he was in Vancouver, so having him on the Flames this year was special.

Loyalty first and foremost. And I don't mean blind loyalty. You can love your team and offer constructive criticism.

How about this for a Flames Fan story-

I moved to the US in 1992 to go to school. ESPN had limited hockey coverage, so I mostly followed the team by calling home for updates. In 1994, I "watched" Game 7 versus Vancouver on the CNN Sports Ticker. (ESPN didn't even have one yet!) I remember sitting in our student lounge (we didn't have cable in our rooms at the time) watching the score scroll by every two minutes or so. OT was excruciating! It kept scrolling Van 3 Cal 3 OT until suddenly it changed to Van 3 Cal 3 FOT. I actually watched for another 15 minutes or so just in case they had made an error. After college, I married a girl from down here and stayed. I didn't really recover from that CNN experience until 2003 when I found out I could listen to Flames games on the internet.

And I have to mention one thing that irks me most about supossed "fans". You should NEVER EVER hope for your team to lose. EVER! OttoFan, you are guilty of that in '07. Everyone makes mistakes.

I was raised in Calgary for my first 22 years (till '99). Seen it all, felt it all. Some highlights:

- Automatically cheering for every goal, no matter the score.

- I have been ridiculed in public from perfect strangers for wearing my jersey on game day. My 8-year old son as well.

- Having to defend this team, and getting to rub it in when they win, to all those that cheer for the Canucks. I cannot bring myself to cheer for any others openly.

- Buying each of my kids and my wife Flames gear, so that it can negate any Canucks stuff my father-in-law gets.

I have in my collection:

- Autographed Regehr jersey from '03.

- Blank jersey from last year.

- My son has a jersey with his name on the back, as well as a blank "snot-horse". (also Stampeders and a Roughnecks blank jerseys)

- Too many hockey cards to number, mostly from '90-'94.

- Two scale Corvette models, a '57 and '05 coupe, and a custom team bus.

- 12" tall nutcracker for Christmas display.

- Couple hats.

- Two car flags, one on at all times, one for backup.

- Several McFarlane figures; Iggy, Phaneuf, Joseph.

- Peanut butter jar coin bank.

- Looking for a replica Sanley Cup banner.

- On the waiting list for season tickets for our farm team.

Oh and also when I buy a sport select I always have Calgary to win no matter what. My place has Calgary pictures all over it. My truck has the flaming "C" proudly displayed. I gave my son a Lanny Mcdonald and Theoren Fleury autographed puck which I framed for him. I wear flames gear all year long Flames are just the best.

When they score I scream and everyone looks at me funny. Sometimes I stand when I can't handle the intensity! I own 3 jerseys, shelves of Calgary Flames do-dads, 2 car flags, car mats, a personalized Flames lic plate on my car, a flames wind sock besides the car flags and a Flames steering wheel cover. I wore my Iggy jersey to school in the early 00's and I stood tall while I was laughed at. I led an Anti-Tampa Bay rally of about 150 people down 8th street in Saskatoon (I proudly made the news :D). I always read the post and pregame on the internet. I know who is injured, traded, hot, cold and called up at all times. When I am out to eat and the Flames are playing on a tv or a recap is on I am useless to talk to. I have Flames underwear, socks, sunglasses and many many shirts (underwear, socks, shirts, sunglasses and jersey are all a must for when I am fortunate enough to attend a game). When someone asks me who my favorite player is I do not reply with, Iginla, Kip or some other easily recognisable player. My favorite players have always been lesser known players who matter huge to a team and play with all their heart. I have met a lot of Flames players, my favorite was getting to meet Yelle, talk about a guy who is just happy to be doing what he loves. Yelle has been and always will be my favorite Flame. This one time I went to a wedding with my Fiance where I knew about 3 people at the reception and I found out the the groom was a greaser. I did not know the groom but I went up to the mic anyway and proceeded to bash the oil with stats and figures till a huge portion of the crowd was cheering and the groomsmen did not look happy (the newly wed wife was a flames fan and appreciated my efforts!).

I have a cool Calgary Flames key chain that has Maher calling the last few seconds of the playoff clinching game against the Yotes back in '04. Basically the only things I get for Christmas are Flames stuff. I would love to run into some Calgary Flames seat covers too for my car and get a Flaming C put on my back window. I also plan someday to get a Flames tattoo.

I will now go to bed now...

When they score I scream and everyone looks at me funny. Sometimes I stand when I can't handle the intensity! I own 3 jerseys, shelves of Calgary Flames do-dads, 2 car flags, car mats, a personalized Flames lic plate on my car, a flames wind sock besides the car flags and a Flames steering wheel cover. I wore my Iggy jersey to school in the early 00's and I stood tall while I was laughed at. I led an Anti-Tampa Bay rally of about 150 people down 8th street in Saskatoon (I proudly made the news :D ). I always read the post and pregame on the internet. I know who is injured, traded, hot, cold and called up at all times. When I am out to eat and the Flames are playing on a tv or a recap is on I am useless to talk to. I have Flames underwear, socks, sunglasses and many many shirts (underwear, socks, shirts, sunglasses and jersey are all a must for when I am fortunate enough to attend a game). When someone asks me who my favorite player is I do not reply with, Iginla, Kip or some other easily recognisable player. My favorite players have always been lesser known players who matter huge to a team and play with all their heart. I have met a lot of Flames players, my favorite was getting to meet Yelle, talk about a guy who is just happy to be doing what he loves. Yelle has been and always will be my favorite Flame. This one time I went to a wedding with my Fiance where I knew about 3 people at the reception and I found out the the groom was a greaser. I did not know the groom but I went up to the mic anyway and proceeded to bash the oil with stats and figures till a huge portion of the crowd was cheering and the groomsmen did not look happy (the newly wed wife was a flames fan and appreciated my efforts!).

I have a cool Calgary Flames key chain that has Maher calling the last few seconds of the playoff clinching game against the Yotes back in '04. Basically the only things I get for Christmas are Flames stuff. I would love to run into some Calgary Flames seat covers too for my car and get a Flaming C put on my back window. I also plan someday to get a Flames tattoo.

I will now go to bed now...

You also have a Flames fridge in your room...which happens to be mine :ph34r:

I was born in Calgary, and at the ripe old age of 5, the Flames moved from Atlanta to Calgary...instant Flames fan! I moved to Winnipeg in 1981, and although all the little kids around me were all Jets fans....I knew at least I picked a team I could be a life long fan of! Unfortunately, being out here (in Crappypeg) still (well actually again, since I've moved around a few time since) I don't get to go to a hell of a lotta games, but I do get out once a year (at least) to Calgary, and as often as possible to see the Flames play the Wild in Minnesota. In 2007 I drove to 21 hours Detroit for game 5 of the playoffs and I just came back from Chicago for game 5. when the jets were in town, I went to every Flames game here and at the age of 15, I got into a fight with some old dude who was pissed off and slapped me after Sergei Makarov scored the winning goal with like a minute left on a breakaway...that was a thing of beauty....the security guards kicked me out of the arena....but no matter....WE WON! I drove down once...10 hours to Omaha to see the Ak-Sar-Ben Knights play...watched the game...and drove back the 10 hours home....and everytime any version of the Baby Flames are playin' the Moose here, I'm there! Hopefully now that they are in Abbotsford, the Baby Flames will be here more than 2 times a year!

I have far too much Flames memorabilia to list (in fact my girlfriend calls my apartment the Flames Fan Store!), but my favourite item is my #18 Matthew Lombardi RBK Pro jersey...and my #30 Curtis McElhinney Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights replica jersey.

In 2004 during the cup run, I went out every game to the same place, and eventually the place was packed with band wagon jumpers....man did all those fools piss me off!!! And yeah...I'll admit it...I cried when we won the cup in '89....and I cried when we lost in 2004. That's what I call passion!!! GO FLAMES GO!!!

Archived