s4xon

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I was hoping to have an "i told you so" moment with Askarov, Wallstedt....

Askarov above 900 in the AHL.   I was hoping to see him maybe do that in the NHL by now but he is literally all of 20 years old.    Still the best goalie in his draft year by a mile.   The transition from Russia cannot be stress free.

Wallstedt also around 900 in the AHL, and a year younger too.   Or half a year anyway.    I'd like to see at least one of them dominating in the AHL by end of year or early next season.  If so, then they were worth the pick and the risk imho.

I think this is an interesting comment.

First of all, Yaroslav Askarov was selected 11th overall in 2020. The Flames pick was 19, so he was never an option unless they traded up - and that's assuming that one of the ten teams in the first 11 picks were willing to make a trade. So, that one is a stretch.

On Jesper Wallstedt, sure, they could have selected him, and he does have a save percentage of around 900 in the AHL. The Wranglers also have a goaltender with a save percentage well above 900 in the AHL. His name is Dustin Wolf - and he was in the system prior to Wallstedt ever being drafted. On top of that, they also have Connor Zary, who is frequently ranked in their top three prospects.

I think you're being silly.

Love.

• Like 1

I wonder how those teams play around them, what confidence they instilled.... or even the kinds of shots they let through? Some goalies like having more shots to get feels.

I've been adamant over the years that the breakdowns that occur at certain part of games giving other teams odd man rushes and ultimately great scoring chances change momentum and I think that it can go to show that goalies can be a product of team play... 

has Markstrom been bad? yes.
Has the team been bad? yes. 

Can Markstrom perform under pressure? I think it is a question we still need answered. I wonder how much pressure he's putting on himself to get the team back to the top of the division? 

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

So far will have to wait.     Cossa is banished to ECHL...wow.. but I wasn't ever high on him so ok.

Howeva...lol... Askarov and Wallstedt still both looking good for their age, not writeoffs by any means.  And good that their teams are taking it slow with them.

Askarov above 900 in the AHL.   I was hoping to see him maybe do that in the NHL by now but he is literally all of 20 years old.    Still the best goalie in his draft year by a mile.   The transition from Russia cannot be stress free.

Wallstedt also around 900 in the AHL, and a year younger too.   Or half a year anyway.    I'd like to see at least one of them dominating in the AHL by end of year or early next season.  If so, then they were worth the pick and the risk imho.

Of the 3, none are passing the eye test. Both Wallstedt and Askarov get really lost in their crease and over-compensate way too much. Cossa doesn’t, but his mechanics/reflexes are worse. He’s in the E to get starts, same as Chechelev with us.

All 3 are at the same point, very young pros. Lots of time.

Wolf is better than all 3 currently as far as mechanics go.

Plus, have you ever been, “I told you so” guy?lol

31 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I wonder how those teams play around them, what confidence they instilled.... or even the kinds of shots they let through? Some goalies like having more shots to get feels.

I've been adamant over the years that the breakdowns that occur at certain part of games giving other teams odd man rushes and ultimately great scoring chances change momentum and I think that it can go to show that goalies can be a product of team play... 

has Markstrom been bad? yes.
Has the team been bad? yes. 

Can Markstrom perform under pressure? I think it is a question we still need answered. I wonder how much pressure he's putting on himself to get the team back to the top of the division? 

See and I don't think this is fair. They are a top 10 team at 5 on 5 in every defensive category. Can they be better, probably but bad? That isn't fair. 

I agree 100% that goalies are a product of team play but I don't think the Flames have been bad defensively this year. Inconsistent sure, but not enough that would excuse Markstrom's play IMO. 

if you need your team to be airtight in order for your goalie to be good then you have a problem with your goalie, not your team. 

The Flames give up about one goal against per game and score about one less goal for.

Against good teams, it's tough to win with those numbers.

Vladar has been the better of the two, but only in a handful of games.

Markstrom is making great saves but letting in a stinker per game.

We need to score more and get scored on less.

Earlier on we had scoring but gave up too many and let teams back in.

Too many games where we needed to score more than 3 goals to win.

You can blame some ill advised play for some goals, but goaltending has not been there.

Need the goalie to steal the occasional game, not just rely on scoring 4-5 (see EDM).

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

So far will have to wait.     Cossa is banished to ECHL...wow.. but I wasn't ever high on him so ok.

Howeva...lol... Askarov and Wallstedt still both looking good for their age, not writeoffs by any means.  And good that their teams are taking it slow with them.

But behind Wolf, of course!!😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

I think this is an interesting comment.

I do too

First of all, Yaroslav Askarov was selected 11th overall in 2020. The Flames pick was 19, so he was never an option unless they traded up - and that's assuming that one of the ten teams in the first 11 picks were willing to make a trade. So, that one is a stretch.

Not all teams make a habit of downgrading all their first round picks ;)

It was a cheap year for upgrades in a week draft and we had players we could have traded for them and much more (had we not later let those players go for nothing).   I had my eye on Drysdale, first, and then Askarov.   Drysdale still looks good now.   Askarov can't really tell yet.

On Jesper Wallstedt, sure, they could have selected him, and he does have a save percentage of around 900 in the AHL. The Wranglers also have a goaltender with a save percentage well above 900 in the AHL. His name is Dustin Wolf - and he was in the system prior to Wallstedt ever being drafted. On top of that, they also have Connor Zary, who is frequently ranked in their top three prospects.

I think you're being silly.

I think you're being silly ;)

Dustin Wolf is a great prospect we are lucky to have who is not actually 6 feet tall.  He pretty much needs to be #1 in the AHL to be effective at the NHL level.   So far by these standards he has been struggling this year.   Wallstedt is NHL height and whatever he does in the AHL will most likely translate to the NHL quite well.   I was hoping to see a bit more out of Wallstedt, but that does not make him and Wolf comparables.    Not even with both of them struggling a tad.

Connor Zary is almost a write-off at this point, do you mean Coronato who we drafted instead of Wallstedt?  At this particular juncture, both Wallstedt and Coronato are a step behind what we'd like, but Wallstedt still has the greater likelyhood of being a meaningful NHLer from what we've seen so far.

Love.

Hearts:)

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Of the 3, none are passing the eye test. Both Wallstedt and Askarov get really lost in their crease and over-compensate way too much. Cossa doesn’t, but his mechanics/reflexes are worse. He’s in the E to get starts, same as Chechelev with us.

All 3 are at the same point, very young pros. Lots of time.

Wolf is better than all 3 currently as far as mechanics go.

Plus, have you ever been, “I told you so” guy?lol

I can't disagree, none are where I'd expected them to be quite yet.  At the same time none of them are truly disappointing except well....your comparison of Cossa to our late pick Chechelev (no disrespect) tells you where his ranking has gone.

Wolf may be better, also older, than most of them.  But at his height, he really needs to be.  I wouldn't rank him over to of Wallstedt or Askarov at this point by any means, he would need to take another giant leap which he doesn't seem to be doing unfortunately.   I might possibly rank him over Cossa now, though.

24 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I can't disagree, none are where I'd expected them to be quite yet.  At the same time none of them are truly disappointing except well....your comparison of Cossa to our late pick Chechelev (no disrespect) tells you where his ranking has gone.

Wolf may be better, also older, than most of them.  But at his height, he really needs to be.  I wouldn't rank him over to of Wallstedt or Askarov at this point by any means, he would need to take another giant leap which he doesn't seem to be doing unfortunately.   I might possibly rank him over Cossa now, though.

But of course Wallstedt and A-scary-ov are better because you’re dying for an, “I told you so” moment.lol

4 developing young goalies, nothing even close to being completed.

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

But of course Wallstedt and A-scary-ov are better because you’re dying for an, “I told you so” moment.lol

4 developing young goalies, nothing even close to being completed.

That's right  lol.   Don't worry, I'm patient.  Ortio still on the rise

37 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Didn't we spend a couple of days where you were telling me that Cossa was a stud and we should be drafting him as he was can't miss?  At the time, he was on a very good Oil Kings team.  Maybe I am mistaken.  You have since talked about Wally a lot.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Didn't we spend a couple of days where you were telling me that Cossa was a stud and we should be drafting him as he was can't miss?  At the time, he was on a very good Oil Kings team.  Maybe I am mistaken.  You have since talked about Wally a lot.

I don't think so no, I don't really remember either.   I was pretty shocked when he got drafted ahead of Wally as he was on a very puffy team.   But I definitely was high on Askarov and Wally.   They making me a Little nervous right now lol but as @conundrumed says they have a Lot of time and both are transitioning to NA hockey which cannot be under-stated.

I’m getting somewhat frustrated with the negative dismissive opinions regarding Dustin Wolf.  What more does he have to prove in order to be ranked respectively with other goaltending prospects.  Has Cossa or Wallstadt earned the accolades that Wolf has?  He has pushed to be the best in junior and professional ranks, and succeeded!!  Do you really think Wolf doesn’t realize his height and how that may be perceived?  He plays taller than he is.  He plays to perfect his game regardless of height.  
To start rating prospects that have not proven themselves at all in the stronger leagues is quite demeaning to Dustin.  I have no doubt he will be playing in the Nhl in the near future.  He is too skilled and competitive not to.

7 minutes ago, flames for life said:

I’m getting somewhat frustrated with the negative dismissive opinions regarding Dustin Wolf.  What more does he have to prove in order to be ranked respectively with other goaltending prospects.  Has Cossa or Wallstadt earned the accolades that Wolf has?  He has pushed to be the best in junior and professional ranks, and succeeded!!  Do you really think Wolf doesn’t realize his height and how that may be perceived?  He plays taller than he is.  He plays to perfect his game regardless of height.  
To start rating prospects that have not proven themselves at all in the stronger leagues is quite demeaning to Dustin.  I have no doubt he will be playing in the Nhl in the near future.  He is too skilled and competitive not to.

Oh, gosh...

I have all the faith in the world in Dustin Wolf. I would actually encourage everyone that can to pop into WinSport sometime during the week. The Wranglers practice there several times a week, and you can go in, grab a coffee upstairs, and watch them. It's pretty cool!

That said, I wish that everything that you said about merit was true. It's not... just ask Matt Phillips.

Love.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, flames for life said:

Dude I have only been in here for one day how you already frustrated lol.

It's just facts, it's nothing against Wolf or his talent.  He's not even too short for hockey.  He's too short for the NHL's ridiculous equipment rules.   Don't shoot the messenger lol

9 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Oh, gosh...

I have all the faith in the world in Dustin Wolf. I would actually encourage everyone that can to pop into WinSport sometime during the week. The Wranglers practice there several times a week, and you can go in, grab a coffee upstairs, and watch them. It's pretty cool!

That said, I wish that everything that you said about merit was true. It's not... just ask Matt Phillips.

Love.

What I miss about Calgary, going to WinSport!! Fun mem, pulled in for camp beside an identical ‘14 black F150 and Burke hopped out. He looked hurried and skittish. I hopped out and said “hey”,  He turned around looking like, ‘ah Satoshi Nakamoto’…I just laughed pointing at our trucks, “nice truck”. He chuckled, “you too, see you in there”.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

It's just facts, it's nothing against Wolf or his talent.  He's not even too short for hockey.  He's too short for the NHL's ridiculous equipment rules.   Don't shoot the messenger lol

Some sights list Wolf as being 6 feet (Saros 5'11)..

How does 1 or 2 inches make him less likely to be a star because of equipment?

Sure, some goalies have a tendency to play low in the net exposing the top corners.

Unless you are 6'8" and 260, you have to rely om reflex.

Even then, the big guys don't always have the edge.

26 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

What I miss about Calgary, going to WinSport!! Fun mem, pulled in for camp beside an identical ‘14 black F150 and Burke hopped out. He looked hurried and skittish. I hopped out and said “hey”,  He turned around looking like, ‘ah Satoshi Nakamoto’…I just laughed pointing at our trucks, “nice truck”. He chuckled, “you too, see you in there”.

That's cool!

I used to tend the bar at a sports bar down the street from the Air Canada Center in Toronto, and on game nights, I'd serve a fella named Gord. He was responsible for the lighting during the games, and every night afterwards he'd come over for a pizza and a few bottles of Labatt Blue, which he very much preferred to drink from a frosted glass. I was always happy to oblige.

Anyway, one time he left the bench for a few minutes during the first period, and he found a BlackBerry on the toilet paper holder. Gord, being a fine, and upstanding citizen, wanted to ensure the phone was returned to its rightful owner, so he opened it up. Lo and behold, the BlackBerry belonged to Brian Burke. It seemed that in the moments immediately preceding Gord, Brian Burke had also left the bench for a few minutes in the first period. I didn't ask if the seat was still warm, but Gord did confess that for a moment, he considered the power that he wielded. In that moment, he was Lady Galadriel with the One Ring, but like the always lovely Cate Blanchett, he resisted its power.

Love.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Some sights list Wolf as being 6 feet (Saros 5'11)..

How does 1 or 2 inches make him less likely to be a star because of equipment?

Sure, some goalies have a tendency to play low in the net exposing the top corners.

Unless you are 6'8" and 260, you have to rely om reflex.

Even then, the big guys don't always have the edge.

https://www.google.com/search?q=does+size+matter

IMHO it is neither necessary nor appropriate to debate this in here.

But seriously,

It's not really debatable, it's a known.  Saros would be the best goalie in the game, if it weren't for equipment rule changes, and Wolf would be the #1 goalie prospect in the game (probably already in the NHL though).

Stop blaming me lol, it's pretty straighfoward:

NHL wants more scoring.

They slim down equipment

Taller goalies complain unsafe.  NHL is forced to create a loophole for taller goalies.

And so now we have giants for goalies instead of skill for goalies.

Literally all they need to do is fix the rules and any goalie who's shoulders are above the crossbar would have a chance to be in the NHL should their talent, work ethic, and skills allow for it.

https://www.wxyz.com/sports/beating-the-goalie-equipment-changed-how-position-is-played

https://apnews.com/article/86142ae8d96741d5b596dfe75a228580

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

IMHO it is neither necessary nor appropriate to debate this in here.

But seriously,

It's not really debatable, it's a known.  Saros would be the best goalie in the game, if it weren't for equipment rule changes, and Wolf would be the #1 goalie prospect in the game (probably already in the NHL though).

The equipment rules have little to do with height.

Does a 240 pounder take up more room?

Sure, but you were talking about height.

If you are talking about your opinion, don;t call it a fact.

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The equipment rules have little to do with height.

Does a 240 pounder take up more room?

Sure, but you were talking about height.

If you are talking about your opinion, don;t call it a fact.

I was referring to Wolf not being tall for a goalie.

But to be fair, I haven't measured him myself. 

So maybe he's really tall.

Sorry

Another good night for Vladar. I think you have to reward him. Right now he's giving you the best chance to win. That being said, Calgary has to get Markstrom going.

They have 4 game this coming week. I would start each goalie twice. 

Markstrom against Arizona and Columbus. Vladar against Minnesota and Toronto.

49 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Another good night for Vladar. I think you have to reward him. Right now he's giving you the best chance to win. That being said, Calgary has to get Markstrom going.

They have 4 game this coming week. I would start each goalie twice. 

Markstrom against Arizona and Columbus. Vladar against Minnesota and Toronto.

I think Vladar had a very good game against Toronto last season.

I would maybe swap CBJ with Minny though.

Markstrom needs a game with a lot of shots to get in the groove.