s4xon

Everyone always tosses the big known names around first such as Bishop, Fleury, Elliott all with their own set of circumstances. I would go for the gusto on Vasilevskiy and if unavailable strike a deal with Reimer. I like a guy that feels he has a lot to prove and wants the opportunity.

My bet is, if Tampa signs Stamkos, Bishop needs to go. If they don't, they may shop Vasilevsky. I want the younger goalie because he will develop with the team and possibly price his way to a bigger contract longer term instead of a big one straight away. His numbers may incline slower.

Hard to convince a cup winner to part with their #1 guy, even if he sat out the playoffs.  They talk tough, but have very little latitude that gives them a decent return.  

Niemi/Lettin-it-in is the worst choice.

Yes Niemi is the worst choice (Reimer is better) BUT the only reason you get Niemi is if you deal Wideman back. 

Matchsticks and Gasoline actually put together a nice comparison of most of the available goalies here:

http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.com/2016/6/24/12022524/flames-james-reimer-marc-andre-fleury-jaroslav-halak-jonathan-bernier

I wish he included Bobrosky in the analysis

My bet is, if Tampa signs Stamkos, Bishop needs to go. If they don't, they may shop Vasilevsky. I want the younger goalie because he will develop with the team and possibly price his way to a bigger contract longer term instead of a big one straight away. His numbers may incline slower.

Maybe we should deal for Vasilevskiy and Callahan RW.

John Shannon (@JSportsnet) tweeted at 2:41 PM on Fri, Jun 24, 2016:

Add name of Jimmy Howard to Flames' goalie chase.Hearing Bishop wants long term extension if traded to Calgary.Hearing 7x7 asking price.

I have zero interest in Howard, maybe if they threw Larkin in with Howard I might but otherwise no thanks. I also am not interested in Bishop at 7x$7m. Too much for too long for a goaltender.

Agree on both counts. If that is the ask I walk and acquire someone else. I woudn't go more than 5 years on Bishop and if he wants 7 for 7 i'm guess he'll need close to 8 for a shorter term deal.

Bishop is making less and less sense for the Flames to acquire iMO. ONly reason I would contemplate Howard is if Detroit ate salary and his cap hit was less than 4 million. 

• Like 1

Frank Seravalli (@frank_seravalli) tweeted at 2:58 PM on Fri, Jun 24, 2016:

Bobrovsky believed to be avail #CBJ. Huge ticket $7.4M x 3. Contract can't wow CGY, but acquistn cost will be lower.

Depending on what we give up and if Columbus will eat some salary Bobrovsky would be a great pick up.

Bobvrovsky in the 5-6 mill range is not terrible. But do Jackets eat salary AND include him in a deal to move down? Flames may have to give up more.

Plus side though, at a 3 year deal the term is very friendly.

I think Bobrovsky is still a very good goalie, and would be a good get. Good term, good age and good goaltender.

Just like everything else, acquisition cost is key.

I think Bobrovsky is still a very good goalie, and would be a good get. Good term, good age and good goaltender.

Agree for th emost part, but injury history and eratic play at that salary level worry me a bit. LIke I said term makes the conversation worth while but I can't say ill be thrilled if the Jackets don't eay any salary or the Flames can't move salary out elsewhre. Even on his game i'm not sure Bobrosvky is worth over 7mill.

but worthwile discussion for sure and if it means getting him and Puljujarvi (asuming that's who they want) you have to have that conversation and try and find a fit. 

John Shannon (@JSportsnet) tweeted at 2:41 PM on Fri, Jun 24, 2016:

Add name of Jimmy Howard to Flames' goalie chase.Hearing Bishop wants long term extension if traded to Calgary.Hearing 7x7 asking price.

I have zero interest in Howard, maybe if they threw Larkin in with Howard I might but otherwise no thanks. I also am not interested in Bishop at 7x$7m. Too much for too long for a goaltender.

Cost has been my biggest obstacle to Bishop since the beginning, but gotta ask what did people think he was gonna cost?

But gotta say if we do pull the trigger,I'll be happy to have him..and all the people who were clamouring for a top #1 better just hush and be happy with it.

I have no issues paying Bishop 7M but not a fan of the term. However BT doesn't do NMC's so do it right you trade him out when he's still at the top and Gillies or whomever is ready to take over

The one thing I will say about Bishop is if the Flames are interested I think its pretty clear the 6th overal pick is not in the discussions. hour away from the draft and Treliving is busy meeting with CBJ and EDM tells me that 6th overal pick isn't in play for Bishop.

Maybe they still acquire Bishop but it won't be for the 6th overal pick IMO. 

Offer Bouma (2.2 x 2) & that last year of Raymond along with our #6 for Bob & #3.

Year 1 the BJs save 2.4, year 2 its 5.5 & the last year it's the full hit.

Reverse the #s & we have our starter @ 2.4 over current cap in year 1 & plenty of space to add Montoya or Hutton as backup. Year 2 we've added 5.5 which is still good for a starter.

This is actually the only year he had injury problems. He kept re-injuring the groin so might have come back too soon. He looked good @ the IIHF tournament.

Although I doubt he gets moved. As said a 1 year injury problem & a suitable replacement leaves little in savings.

Yea we got him for the 35th OA pick. what a steal, I dont know how anyone could dislike tree.

If anyone would, it would be me.    And I Did have to think twice.   That's basically a first rounder.

But Elliot just Isn't slowing down...he could be good for another 5 years for all we know.   

And....it's always worth paying a premium...for the Best.  Which he actually is.