Louis23

Maybe you sell your AHL short. What is wrong with your Barons? He could have torn it up with them this year and got into a mindset of winning, something he is not being taught with the Oilers.

- You tell your players it is okay to lose, because we get high draft picks and we are rebuilding.

- You tell your club it is okay to lose we have lots of injuries. You are really making excuses for your team to lose and showing them it is okay.(Not you Conner, Your teams management and coaches are all telling and showing your team it is okay to lose .)

- You tell your fans don't worry this is a slow total rebuild so expect us to lose.

Then again if they did not play him on the Oilers, like Hall last year well what would the Oilers be saying this year? I know there would be shouts to fire everyone from top down without your draft picks to watch.... well watch when healthy.

I'm surprised you didn't know about junior eligibility. Players drafted into the CHL have to play there if they are not playing in the NHL until the year they turn 20. The NHL team can then elect the player to play one more year of junior if they want to as an overager or play them in the AHL. A lot of players drafted out of Europe go right from Europe to the AHL because they were never drafted by the CHL.

- It depends on the feeling of the team. It was different this year compared to last year.

- That isn't the case this year. This is Renney's last year of his contract and if management didn't see improvement in the team, Renney would be given the boot.

- There are actually a lot of fans ripping the team daily. I'd say it's 50/50 between disgruntled fans and part of the process fans.

I'll tell you that if this team is in the same spot next year, there would be several off ice changes.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if Oilers pass up on Grigorenko if they draft #2.

Oilers have a lot fo decent defensive prospects but nothing compared to RNH, Hall and Eberle. Pittsburgh managed to win the cup without a name defensive core. The Rangers are trying the same thing. Every defenceman on the Rangers is making under 4. I guess you can also say the Canucks have no all star defencemen.

I'm not sure if I'd like the Oilers to go best player available or best defenceman available.

I definitely beg to differ... It's not about salary at all.. it's about skill set.

Gonchar 14pts

Letang 13pts

Hal Gill

Scuderi

Orpik

Eaton

That is an all-around D with 2 solid offensively contributing D... (2 D that scored in 24 playoff gms almost what the Oilers D leader has done in 39 - or 53 team gms)

Who are the PMD, or consistent offensive contributers on the Oilers D?

Potter is the team leader at 17.. while the league leader is pushing the 50's..

The Canucks have ALL their top 4 scoring 17 or more pts.

No comparison there.

NYR: has 3 D with more than 17 pts.

Oilers weakness is obvious with no real legit option to be That Guy on the backend.

Till then.. as a rival fan.. i have no reason to perceive them as a legit threat to make the playoffs.

And if That Guy is coming in the upcoming draft.. we still don't have to worry for another few yrs... trade or signing on the other hand...

(and then there's the future goaltending issue on top of that)

I'm surprised you didn't know about junior eligibility.

I knew. I just wasn't thinking about the age and having to play Jr.

As for him being too good... meh

Skill level did not stop Florida from sending Jonathan Huberdeau back to Juniors. Pretty much same age.

f3ef845f52773c4b61ca755d4d374aef.png?1328740242

Most teams that don't need to play their prospects prefer to send them back down for proper developement.

The Oilers made the conscious decision to showcase a boy going to war against men.

I definitely beg to differ... It's not about salary at all.. it's about skill set.

Gonchar 14pts

Letang 13pts

Hal Gill

Scuderi

Orpik

Eaton

That is an all-around D with 2 solid offensively contributing D... (2 D that scored in 24 playoff gms almost what the Oilers D leader has done in 39 - or 53 team gms)

Who are the PMD, or consistent offensive contributers on the Oilers D?

Potter is the team leader at 17.. while the league leader is pushing the 50's..

The Canucks have ALL their top 4 scoring 17 or more pts.

No comparison there.

NYR: has 3 D with more than 17 pts.

Oilers weakness is obvious with no real legit option to be That Guy on the backend.

Till then.. as a rival fan.. i have no reason to perceive them as a legit threat to make the playoffs. (and then there's the future goaltending issue on top of that)

And if that guy is coming in the upcoming draft.. we still don't have to worry for another few yrs... trade or signing on the other hand...

Letang was a rookie at the time and he wasn't the impact player he is now and Gonchar didn't play a lot the season. The rest of the defence were known more as a blue collar group.

You can also attribute the Canucks skill and depth at forward to contribute more point from the defence.

The Oilers need more depth and skill on defence but they may not need that superstar defenceman to be successful.

I knew. I just wasn't thinking about the age and having to play Jr.

As for him being too good... meh

Skill level did not stop Florida from sending Jonathan Huberdeau back to Juniors. Pretty much same age. Most teams that don't need to play their prospects prefer to send them back down for proper developement.

f3ef845f52773c4b61ca755d4d374aef.png?1328740242

The Oilers made the conscious decision to showcase a boy going to war against men.

You're wrong. I believe the Oilers went into the off season and the beginning of the regular season believing they would send RNH back to junior.

RNH had 7 goals and 2 assists in the first 9 games. A team can't send the message of no matter how well you do you won't make the team.

Letang was a rookie at the time and he wasn't the impact player he is now and Gonchar didn't play a lot the season. The rest of the defence were known more as a blue collar group.

You can also attribute the Canucks skill and depth at forward to contribute more point from the defence.

The Oilers need more depth and skill on defence but they may not need that superstar defenceman to be successful.

Letang wasn't the impact player defensively he is today obviously... but he was an impact player offensively during that run.

As for your canucks statement... just another version of many we've heard. Burrows is good because of the Sedins, Kesler is good because of the Sedins, Sedins are good only because they have forward depth. Luongo is good only because of the D, and now you state the D being good because of the forward depth - is kinda of a new one.. interesting anyway.

The Oilers...

They need a true top level shut down pairing

They need a PP QB

They need an effective mobile puck mover able stimulate offensive breakouts with his skating

They need an effective mobile puck mover able stimulate offensive breakouts with his passing

Obviously a true superstar would be That Guy able to cover pretty much every base.

Or you get 2 or 3 guys that are versatile and are top level in 2 or more of those categories.

Or you get 4 guys that top level in at least 1 category.

Point is... Till the Oilers start filling out their D with some top level talent and depth... they can't be considered a legit threat to make the playoffs.

And as stated, that could all change in a single trade or a couple signings as early as this summer.

But till that happens....

Letang wasn't the impact player defensively he is today obviously... but he was an impact player offensively during that run.

As for your canucks statement... just another version of many we've heard. Burrows is good because of the Sedins, Kesler is good because of the Sedins, Sedins are good only because they have forward depth. Luongo is good only because of the D, and now you state the D being good because of the forward depth - is kinda of a new one.. interesting anyway.

The Oilers...

They need a true top level shut down pairing

They need a PP QB

They need an effective mobile puck mover able stimulate offensive breakouts with his skating

They need an effective mobile puck mover able stimulate offensive breakouts with his passing

Obviously a true superstar would be That Guy able to cover pretty much every base.

Or you get 2 or 3 guys that are versatile and are top level in 2 or more of those categories.

Or you get 4 guys that top level in at least 1 category.

Point is... Till the Oilers start filling out their D with some top level talent and depth... they can't be considered a legit threat to make the playoffs.

And as stated, that could all change in a single trade or a couple signings as early as this summer.

But till that happens....

Burrows - He definitely benefits from playing with the Sedins point wise. Sedins benefit from him grit wise. If Burrows was on another team he might be more of a 2nd line winger.

Kesler - Kesler is good. He would be a first line centre on a lot of teams. A slighly lesser version of Toews

Sedins - They're good because of their patience. The both of them on the same line is still better than them being split up.

Luongo - I think Luongo is worse in Vancouver. I don't see Luongo winning the Stanley Cup there. The city has ruined him.

Vancouver defence - They're a deep group and no one is going to take that from them but when you have a good group of offensive forwards on a team, that will help the defencemen get more points.

The Oilers...

They need a true top level shut down pairing - Smid has emerged as a good half of a shut down pairing. He will need to carry his play and improve into next season.

They need a PP QB - I don't think teams need a power play quarter back. That's only if you don't have a solid forward who can quarter back the power play. Maybe a strong shot from the point which the Oilers have in Potter but it could be better.

They need an effective mobile puck mover able stimulate offensive breakouts with his skating - Whitney, Gilbert, Smid and Petry are all above average skaters for defencemen. None of them are adept to transitioning into a rush the other way but all of them are able to pinch properly with their speed.

They need an effective mobile puck mover able stimulate offensive breakouts with his passing - Whitney is the Oilers best passing defenceman.

The Oilers biggest need is more NHL depth IMO. They were decent at the start of the season but when injuries occured the Oilers had to rely on unproven AHL defencemen. Stability is probably the most important thing the Oilers need on defence. I hope next year they carry 8 NHL defencemen.

& why did Edmonton fans burn Pronger's baby's crib? :lol:

2 rumors. Pick 1.

I read one report all Prongers "Rented Furniture" was returned intact and in excellent condition. Another report I read said it wasn't his furniture burned but someone elses in front of his house.

Having lived in Edmonton I wouldn't put it past them to burn some sort of effigy on his lawn, but honestly I don't think they did.

If I still lived there and was an Oiler Fan, I would be really worried why one of my Franchise Players was renting Furniture. There was not a lot of class shown from either side and guess who now has to live with the bad rep?

Come again? Gonchar was a huge reason the Penguins won the cup. Their PP was deadly in the playoffs and made them win some important games, this was hugely due to him. Letang wasnt what he is now, but even the most optimistic Penguins fans werent thinking he was going to be this good. He was nothing short of a solid second pairing guy for us doing that time.

• 2 weeks later...

So this win moved Edmonton from 14th in the west to ___? Oops, still 14th. :lol:

Overall it moved them from 29th to __? Still 29th.

But I guess 1 of those rare wins is a big deal there.

A 23 game win streak in regulation & they'd be in 1st. Maybe.

If my team was battling for a playoff spot and finally reached 8th to only lose on home ice to a 29th place team, not only lose but get obliterated by a 29th place team and fall back out of the playoffs...

Don't get too cocky Flame fans.

So this win moved Edmonton from 14th in the west to ___? Oops, still 14th. :lol:

Overall it moved them from 29th to __? Still 29th.

But I guess 1 of those rare wins is a big deal there.

A 23 game win streak in regulation & they'd be in 1st. Maybe.

1'd rather finish with a lottery pick then 9th in the west. no dance, no future.

Let them gloat. It will be another 10 games before they get their next win against us.

They will say different now because their team is already out of it, but they would give up their right leg to be fighting for a playoff spot atm.

Only the village idiot would say he would rather his team have a lottery pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNBNqUdqm1E

Let them gloat. It will be another 10 games before they get their next win against us.

They will say different now because their team is already out of it, but they would give up their right leg to be fighting for a playoff spot atm.

One of my fav skits... along with the fish slap dance, how to hide, clinic of arguments... ah who am I kidding I love Monty python!!!

not 100% sure but i think name calling is against forum rules.

not that i would expect any less

At least the team I cheer for has a chance of actually contending for the Stanley Cup in the forsseable future.

When are the Flames going to become an elite team?

I guess I'm a village idiot.

At least the team I cheer for has a chance of actually contending for the Stanley Cup in the forsseable future.

All those picks and great young players that will take you to the "Elite Contending for a Cup Status. Pfft... Oh you moved up 1 slot this year.

0b69da561acc57953579c9ca45b74b7a.png?1329909368

A lotto pick is a lotto pick is a lotto pick. Your team still sucks. As a fan it must really suck to have to think next year.. then think next year, next year... then again think next year the next year after that.

Islanders West and next year you will be saying the same damn thing. Foreseeable Future Contending?? Please...

You have no D. Sorry you have a D but it seems to be just barely above AHL grade when healthy.

Your starter goaltender is aging, 40 isn't he?

I'm sorry he is only 39, I was looking at his Standings for GAA. Silly me....lolol

52cbd64d72193f17a789331c8eea6946.png?1329908794

and you have an average backup.

37e0fbcd1d1b7aafc7053dc716095c7e.png?1329908908

62nd in league. Lets see 30 teams 2 goalies per team and he ranks 62nd....

That combo will get you to the promised land quick.

Where is this Stanley Cup Contending Goaltender going to come from? Better yet who is it?

So here is the question and I am serious here. Have you really improved? or is Columbus just that much worse this year? have you looked at your road record? I guess not. 8-20-2 Worst in the league.

Come back and talk when you are at least contending for a playoff spot, instead of one team away from the bottom of the league. Again

Oh and your question..

We are working on it but we can't worry about being elite atm. We are kinda busy with this playoff thing, so for us right now it is baby steps, not huge Leaps of Faith like you guys.

Archived