Louis23

Ah the Scorched Earth Oilers rebuild. What a wonderful vision of an easy street rebuild. Just bottom out and draft a couple of Sidney Crosby wannabe's and we are set...right?? Have you started planning the parade route yet?

Yes sir the best laid plans guaranteed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Just need a tad more time to see it finalized:

What's the Flames plan? Compete, hopefully making one of the last playoff spots (because they don't have the talent to be any higher) and miraculously win the Stanley Cup?

Maybe part of Feaster's plan involves a magic lamp.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in which case "Tambelinni" should be GENUINELY FIRED!! Pretty simple.....as far as Renney goes, well, he is just PLAIN AWFUL! Serious. MacTavish was better than him and he was a disgrace. Definitely need some changes in the management and coaching staff. Just my opinion.

I don't agree.

Many people before the season started figured the Oilers as a bottom 10 team. I pegged them as a bottom 5 team before buying into the hype of a good season start and then being grounded once again.

Tambelinni has taken minimal risk which could be considered a fault but it also limits his mistakes.

As far as Renney, he may or may not be back with the Oilers next season since his contract is up at the end of this year. The Oilers special teams have taken a significant improvement this season along with the goal differential. The Oilers are improving. I would like to see Renney get a one year contract extention and if the Oilers get off to a bad start next year, get a new head coach sometime before 2013.

in which case "Tambelinni" should be GENUINELY FIRED!! Pretty simple.....as far as Renney goes, well, he is just PLAIN AWFUL! Serious. MacTavish was better than him and he was a disgrace. Definitely need some changes in the management and coaching staff. Just my opinion.

You bugging some trolls, who cares. But you taken it a bit too far saying MacT is better than Renney. I used to bash him a lot and he still boils my blood, he outright ruined Hemsky into a one dimensional player, his whipping boys would get more ice time than players who deserved it, juggled the lines into a circus match, sounded like a thesaurus freak in interviews, etc.

Renney is bad but there's salvageable pieces. The kids are young and can be molded better by someone else... MacT left a train wreck. Lowe as well for that matter and he's a joke but I'm getting too far ahead now.

Tambi, I give him patience because of what Lowe has done and it seems that he genuinely wants to bring the coach what the Oilers need. It's the coach's job to use what he's got and if injuries happen then well FML but it shouldn't be exempted as an excuse.

I think it's time for the coach's to go and there has to be accountability somewhere and if those players are doing a piss poor job then get rid of what's not working.... also it's not one player which is struggling in the team, it's everyone. So fire every player??? I wish... hard for that but I rather get rid of the coach and bring a hard apple to yell at their sorry pathetic selves and get em angry....

I don't agree.

Many people before the season started figured the Oilers as a bottom 10 team. I pegged them as a bottom 5 team before buying into the hype of a good season start and then being grounded once again.

Tambelinni has taken minimal risk which could be considered a fault but it also limits his mistakes.

As far as Renney, he may or may not be back with the Oilers next season since his contract is up at the end of this year. The Oilers special teams have taken a significant improvement this season along with the goal differential. The Oilers are improving. I would like to see Renney get a one year contract extention and if the Oilers get off to a bad start next year, get a new head coach sometime before 2013.

For sure! maybe this year the Oilers LOSE the lottery pick and pick 2nd or 3rd overall. THAT'S A HUGE STEP FORWARD!!!

Don't ask me......you're the GM.

You bugging some trolls, who cares. But you taken it a bit too far saying MacT is better than Renney.

And what exactly has Renney done for you? Didn't the Oilers go to the finals under MacT? Sure this present Oiler team is more talented then the Oil of 2006?

But hey, Renney will help your team by allowing you to pick 1st overall, EVERY YEAR!!!

THINK ABOUT IT!

For sure! maybe this year the Oilers LOSE the lottery pick and pick 2nd or 3rd overall. THAT'S A HUGE STEP FORWARD!!!

Don't ask me......you're the GM.

And what exactly has Renney done for you? Didn't the Oilers go to the finals under MacT? Sure this present Oiler team is more talented then the Oil of 2006?

But hey, Renney will help your team by allowing you to pick 1st overall, EVERY YEAR!!!

THINK ABOUT IT!

I hold Lowe more accountable for the first overall picks than I do the coach's... I mean, how the heck did the team become the Siberia of the NHL, oh yeah... management.

Do I really need to get into the subjects of... Pronger, Spacek, Samsonov, Peca, Nylander, Vanek, Penner, Souray, Burke, overpaid contracts, Smyth, Heatley... to make that point clear?

You bugging some trolls, who cares. But you taken it a bit too far saying MacT is better than Renney. I used to bash him a lot and he still boils my blood, he outright ruined Hemsky into a one dimensional player, his whipping boys would get more ice time than players who deserved it, juggled the lines into a circus match, sounded like a thesaurus freak in interviews, etc.

Renney is bad but there's salvageable pieces. The kids are young and can be molded better by someone else... MacT left a train wreck. Lowe as well for that matter and he's a joke but I'm getting too far ahead now.

Tambi, I give him patience because of what Lowe has done and it seems that he genuinely wants to bring the coach what the Oilers need. It's the coach's job to use what he's got and if injuries happen then well FML but it shouldn't be exempted as an excuse.

I think it's time for the coach's to go and there has to be accountability somewhere and if those players are doing a piss poor job then get rid of what's not working.... also it's not one player which is struggling in the team, it's everyone. So fire every player??? I wish... hard for that but I rather get rid of the coach and bring a hard apple to yell at their sorry pathetic selves and get em angry....

IMO, Renney is a better developmental coach but MacTavish is a better strategic coach.

So, you expect the Oilers to take a giant leap in the standings from one year to the next? That's possible but not probable.

If the Oilers get 30 wins or more this season combined with their vastly improved special teams and goal differential I'd say that's significant improvement.

The next step for the Oilers is learning to win the close games.

What's the Flames plan? Compete, hopefully making one of the last playoff spots (because they don't have the talent to be any higher) and miraculously win the Stanley Cup?

This is the Oilers will still suck in 2 years thread, not the Flames looks to you like they will still be competing for a playoff spot thread.

The Flames will do what they have always done, strive to make the playoffs and compete for the Cup. Strive to put the best team possible on the ice for Flames fans, season after season.

There was no check and balance on D Sutter and there should have been. His trades were crazy in the final two years and we all knew it. Someone should have had veto power, in all honesty our board has a few posters who are pretty insightful.

When the Neuf trade hit a lot of them were raising red flags. I myself argued in defense of it at the time. Not being a big fan of Neuf, I defended it only to realize later how bad it was. I did not defend the Ranger or Oiler trades that came after.

The Flames have a lot of hard work to get back from the bad stumble D Sutter made in his final years but they can return to that 2009 team and continue working on getting stronger. Work on drafting smarter and they are doing this already. Altering their old style drafting for a smaller and more skilled players.

They can continue to work hard on making good trades and on getting good value on UFAs. They can continue to compete for the playoffs and remain the only team in the NHL to never fall to the bottom 5 in its history.

The Flames will do what they have always done, strive to make the playoffs and compete for the Cup. Strive to put the best team possible on the ice for Flames fans, season after season.

They can continue to work hard on making good trades and on getting good value on UFAs. They can continue to compete for the playoffs and remain the only team in the NHL to never fall to the bottom 5 in its history.

Telling a UFA that your team aims for the playoffs every year is a much better selling point then telling them the short term aim is the lottery but you hope to be competing someday (especially bad when offering a 1-2 year contract).

There was no check and balance on D Sutter and there should have been. His trades were crazy in the final two years and we all knew it. Someone should have had veto power, in all honesty our board has a few posters who are pretty insightful.

When the Neuf trade hit a lot of them were raising red flags. I myself argued in defense of it at the time. Not being a big fan of Neuf, I defended it only to realize later how bad it was. I did not defend the Ranger or Oiler trades that came after.

The Flames have a lot of hard work to get back from the bad stumble D Sutter made in his final years but they can return to that 2009 team and continue working on getting stronger. Work on drafting smarter and they are doing this already. Altering their old style drafting for a smaller and more skilled players.

One odd thing about the last few trades Dutter made is Joker.

He was brought in as maybe being a suitable 1C. Big, strong fast and some scoring. With all the "Didn't mesh with Iggy" and the "Way over priced" and the "Run him outta here" mentality, since he returned he has become pretty much all he was originally said to be. That includes able to play alongside with Iggy, bargain for the money he is paid, and turned into a solid scoring two-way center capable of playing against the oppositions best lines.

The odd part is Dutter won't get any credit for the really good Joker now, rather he will still take a lot of blame due to the difficult times with Joker.

I wouldn't let the Phaneuf trade bother you. He's extremely overrated. If the Flames didn't get rid of his contract there would not be other players who are currently on the Flames.

Telling a UFA that your team aims for the playoffs every year is a much better selling point then telling them the short term aim is the lottery but you hope to be competing someday (especially bad when offering a 1-2 year contract).

Yes, because that's what the Oilers do.

"We're going to be a lottery team this year but we might be good in the future so please sign this 1 year deal."

Give me a break.

I thought old age brings wisdom but in your case it skips wisdom and goes right to senility.

One odd thing about the last few trades Dutter made is Joker.

He was brought in as maybe being a suitable 1C. Big, strong fast and some scoring. With all the "Didn't mesh with Iggy" and the "Way over priced" and the "Run him outta here" mentality, since he returned he has become pretty much all he was originally said to be. That includes able to play alongside with Iggy, bargain for the money he is paid, and turned into a solid scoring two-way center capable of playing against the oppositions best lines.

The odd part is Dutter won't get any credit for the really good Joker now, rather he will still take a lot of blame due to the difficult times with Joker.

It was definitely ballzy for Sutter to bring him back.

Yes, because that's what the Oilers do.

"We're going to be a lottery team this year but we might be good in the future so please sign this 1 year deal."

Give me a break.

I thought old age brings wisdom but in your case it skips wisdom and goes right to senility.

They add "No one else will offer a 1 way contract because they don't really want you that bad". See Barker, Belanger, Eager & Hordichuk. Not the hot commodities but each gets paid the same in NHL or AHL.

All players that will not be high on any contender's list but might as well earn a few bucks with a long shot before heading for Europe.

The Wild couldn't give Barker away. They had to buy him out.

The Wild couldn't give Barker away. They had to buy him out.

Barker was a decent calculated risk. Given the unlikeliness of the Oilers to seriously compete tying him up for only a single year was reasonable even at his salary. If Barker could find whatever it was the scouts saw in him it would be a huge windfall, if not there was no long term commitment.

truthfully although barker was not a world beater before injury, he was decidedly unterrible.

minnesota couldn't afford to let him try sort his issues out, for the Oil it was worth the risk.

his play after the break, once he rejoins the line up will decide his final ate as a hockey player, and though the jury's still out he has a lot to prove in a short time.

even if he doesn't pan out, signing him was probably the right decision, because the potential reward far outstripped the risk. The oil weren't going anywhere this year (my best hopes heading into the year were to get out of the lottery, and possibly into the hunt for the last playoff spot--not to win it but to compete, injuries once again exposed lack of developed depth and sank even that modest dream,) barker panning out would add a valuable piece moving forward, while him not working out doesn't hurt the team at all.

I am no fan of Tambi, but this was a good risk to take.

It's funny because even the players the Oilers deem as tradeable would be heavily coveted by the Flames.

It shows what a difference there is in the talent levels of the 2 teams.

yeah, they should just let you guys have the cup this year. Just because your team has so much talent. So what if you've only won 20 0f 51 games this year, you have Sam Gagner! <_<

yeah, they should just let you guys have the cup this year. Just because your team has so much talent. So what if you've only won 20 0f 51 games this year, you have Sam Gagner! <_<

I can also promise you that the Flames aren't interested in your "tradeable" players. BTW, who are these players that you think we want so badly?

Sam Gagne's 8 pt night.

In one night - 4 goals - he matched or surpassed the season totals of the following players:

Hemsky (38 gm)

Backlund (36 gms)

Perron (24 gms)

Penner (39 gms)

Morrison (30 gms)

Langenbrunner (47 gms)

Knuble (50 gms) - did not know he was done. Finally. At 39. What a nice career the guy had. 8 straight 20 g seasons till this yr.

His 8 pts matching or surpassing the seasons of:

Steckel (48 gms)

Hecht (22 gms)

Hunter (33 gms)

Gomez (21 gms)

Stajan (30 gms)

Archived